Patterson, Fraser and McLean out - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Patterson, Fraser and McLean out

Squirrelhumper

I smell a distinct pong of bullshit in those rumours.

Clarke singled out Patterson for praise post-match (report is on the BBC Sport site) so that alone tells me he was in line to play tomorrow. If there is any shred of truth in the rumour then I'd be gobsmacked.

It really is surprising how seemingly despised O'Donnell is by Scotland fans. He has assists in key matches for us to his name and in the Euros V England from 8-yards-out he did what Christie, Robertson, and Gilmour failed to do and get a shot in on target that was cleared off the line. I am comfortable with O'Donnell playing tomorrow. I doubt Fraser would have started nor McLean. And we still have enough numbers on the bench for there to be 10 on the bench.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, marinello said:

Hearing from a source very close to the squad that it is only Mc Lean who is out injured .

Patterson seemingly ' threw the toys out the pram' when told he wouldn't start tomorrow night.

Fraser deselected as he refused to warm up at some point during the Moldova game.

Bit historical but apparently Ralston was called up before Denmark game ( after others couldn't play)  but he had to withdraw because he contracted COVID.

Heard from a source close to the squad emotional healing therapist that mcTominay is not injured but was left out following a traumatic re-birthing session....

42 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The reason I don't believe this is because there's no logical reason for not playing Patterson tomorrow.

As far as any sane person is concerned, Patterson sealed the RB spot against Moldova. He was one of the few positives.

In saying that, if there's any truth in what you are saying, Patterson and Clarke both need to look at themselves because again it's the fans who get fucked over

And why would Clarke be picking his team more a day and a half before kick-off? 

Plus, it's not as if Patterson - or Fraser, come to that - are exactly strangers to starting games on the bench!

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

And why would Clarke be picking his team more a day and a half before kick-off? 

Plus, it's not as if Patterson - or Fraser, come to that - are exactly strangers to starting games on the bench!

Precisely. So we are lead to believe Patterson (yet to hold down a regular first team spot at a club side) went berserk on being told (two days before team announced) that he was going to be on the bench for the national side. Sorry.....just no.

2 hours ago, marinello said:

SC has a long history of knowing what to say to the press. This includes keeping matters in house and certainly not throwing players under the bus .

Will be interesting to see if Patterson and Fraser feature for their clubs this weekend and moreso for the double header next month.

Screenshot_20210906-185330_Instagram.jpg

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I smell a distinct pong of bullshit in those rumours.

Clarke singled out Patterson for praise post-match (report is on the BBC Sport site) so that alone tells me he was in line to play tomorrow. If there is any shred of truth in the rumour then I'd be gobsmacked.

It really is surprising how seemingly despised O'Donnell is by Scotland fans. He has assists in key matches for us to his name and in the Euros V England from 8-yards-out he did what Christie, Robertson, and Gilmour failed to do and get a shot in on target that was cleared off the line. I am comfortable with O'Donnell playing tomorrow. I doubt Fraser would have started nor McLean. And we still have enough numbers on the bench for there to be 10 on the bench.

10 on the bench but 7 of them being goalies and defenders 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I

It really is surprising how seemingly despised O'Donnell is by Scotland fans.

i think its to do with what O Donells brother does for a living.

That is part of the age old Scottish issue, especially from the harder core of Rangers fans, who i believe are behind all this...

2 minutes ago, stocky said:

i think its to do with what O Donells brother does for a living.

That is part of the age old Scottish issue, especially from the harder core of Rangers fans, who i believe are behind all this...

There's definitely been a lot of seethe from some Rangers fans since the Euros because SOD was keeping the one player they had in the squad out of the team.

They also don't like Clarke either from his time at Kilmarnock so are happy to use this as a stick to beat him with.

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

There's definitely been a lot of seethe from some Rangers fans since the Euros because SOD was keeping the one player they had in the squad out of the team.

They also don't like Clarke either from his time at Kilmarnock so are happy to use this as a stick to beat him with.

I think it’s blatantly obvious how vastly superior Patterson is tbf

Patterson has got to be the future for the RB position but I hope O’Donnell has a good game tomorrow to shut a few folk up. 

He’s had a number of good contributions for us so it was strange how quickly he became a scapegoat overnight.

I guess that was partly due to the build up of pressure (Rangers fans & media) to get Patterson in and then a poor performance vs Czechs (although he wasn’t the only one) where fans had a lot of frustration after the exciting build up. 

There’s also the other aspect that O’Donnell really isn’t that good, although until recently he was probably the best we had available in his position.  That doesn’t make him good enough to play international football though and let’s not forget he has had some really poor performances for Scotland.  To his credit though he’s always made himself available and always does the best he can, I’d rather have someone with his attitude than someone with more talent and ability but who couldn’t be arsed.  I’m not going to criticise him for not being good enough, nor Clarke for picking him when there were no better options.  Plenty do though, I suspect that’s more the reason for people criticising him than which club he’s played for or what his brother does for a living.

There’s a defensive narrative that people are against O’Donnell because of the club he plays for (whatever that means) or that errr.. his brother is a priest, which is news to me, however, the majority of us who don’t like him playing is purely down to the fact that he’s not that good and the difference between him playing & a wing back who’s fast and comfortable on the ball, like Patterson, is quite startling. 

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

There’s a defensive narrative that people are against O’Donnell because of the club he plays for (whatever that means) or that errr.. his brother is a priest, which is news to me, however, the majority of us who don’t like him playing is purely down to the fact that he’s not that good and the difference between him playing & a wing back who’s fast and comfortable on the ball, like Patterson, is quite startling. 

Patterson is fast and comfortable on the ball going forward, that's true.

The issue is his unproven reliability as a defender. It speaks volumes that his club manager does not trust him against even middling sides ahead of Tavernier. Until he gets regular games at first team level to improve his development as a defender, the Clarke will prefer O'Donnell for fixtures like Austria away.

And right now, it's the correct decision.