What would be acceptable? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What would be acceptable?

ceudmilefailte

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The worst home win I remember was Liechtenstein under levein. Now that was a shitty home win

I took the car that night lol. I vowed not to do it again. 

I took the car last night....... I'm definitely not doing it again 😂

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, slasher said:

I took the car that night lol. I vowed not to do it again. 

I took the car last night....... I'm definitely not doing it again 😂

I took the car the night of the lichtenstein game. I watched that last night in a caravan in Newquay 🤣

On 8/25/2021 at 9:22 PM, AlfieMoon said:

3 points (Moldova) is the acceptable baseline. 

4 points (Austria) should be the minimum aim.

Anything better than that represents success. We’re expected to lose in Denmark. 

I’m happy enough that he’s got a new deal. He’s made mistakes and has things to improve on but he got us to a finals (albeit narrowly and some credit to McLeish and also recognising poor opposition). 

Positives are that the players are turning up and wanting to play for him. If we can start punching a wee bit above our weight we’ll be doing okay if you we can find a style that gets the best out of our players. 

Well, got to be delighted with 6 points and how it sets us up in the group.  

Some frustration at not scoring more against Moldova but the performance was good and some steps in the right direction capped off with a brilliant result tonight. 

Can’t think when we last really upset the odds to win away against a rival at a similar level or above us apart from Paris. Maybe Norway in 2005? 

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

Can’t think when we last really upset the odds to win away against a rival at a similar level or above us apart from Paris. Maybe Norway in 2005? 

Would beating a depleted Czech republic away on this day last year count?

Edited by exile

Big result last night, Clarke was oddly taking a slagging from some sections of fans after the moldova but hes grinding out results. It isn't pretty at times but we are now in an excellent position to get 2nd place. 

Amazing how everything can change on the basis of one good result for a manager at international level. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Big result last night, Clarke was oddly taking a slagging from some sections of fans after the moldova but hes grinding out results. It isn't pretty at times but we are now in an excellent position to get 2nd place. 

Amazing how everything can change on the basis of one good result for a manager at international level. 

I also think the 2-0 against Denmark looks a bit better in retrospect. Obviously the first half was completely unacceptable, but we showed in the 2nd half that we can compete against good teams if we get the tactics right. 

This is the only time I can think in recent memory where a higher placed team didn't perform to what was expected of them. Why is it only us that has shock results? About time a team like Austria capitulates against a lower placed team.

We've lacked luck for 25 years. If we continue to get the rub of the green, and have performances to match, we'll be in a great place going forward.

A 2-0 loss to the top seeds away from home and 6 points from the other two games is more than acceptable. 

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I also think the 2-0 against Denmark looks a bit better in retrospect. Obviously the first half was completely unacceptable, but we showed in the 2nd half that we can compete against good teams if we get the tactics right. 

This is the only time I can think in recent memory where a higher placed team didn't perform to what was expected of them. Why is it only us that has shock results? About time a team like Austria capitulates against a lower placed team.

We've lacked luck for 25 years. If we continue to get the rub of the green, and have performances to match, we'll be in a great place going forward.

A 2-0 loss to the top seeds away from home and 6 points from the other two games is more than acceptable. 

I think some people need to remember that Denmark are very good team at the moment. They haven’t even conceded a goal in this campaign and were a bawhair away from the Euro 2020 final. Apart from the first 20-30 minutes in Copenhagen we did pretty well I thought although I’m pretty sure Denmark would have went up a gear if we had scored.

We have taken 4 points from the second seeds in the group and if we can do that against the fourth seeds then we should get second place comfortably. 

We were never going to win this group after dropping 4 points in our first 3 games so to be in second place after 6 games is actually pretty decent and with 3 winnable games coming up we have every reason to be optimistic. 

43 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We won the tie. Does not matter how and if anything (given how the match played out) winning on pens was an even more impressive achievement.

That’s debatable but it officially counts as a draw over 90 minutes. If we had held out and won in 90 minutes it would have been a better result than winning on penalties in my opinion. Was certainly our best performance in years though. 

Edited by Texas Pete

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We won the tie. Does not matter how and if anything (given how the match played out) winning on pens was an even more impressive achievement.

Failing to win a game in 90 minutes isn't impressive.

Not sure were the current psyche of the Scottish  population has come from, the education system or the wishy washy nationalism that has been around for the past 20 years.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Failing to win a game in 90 minutes isn't impressive.

Not sure were the current psyche of the Scottish  population has come from, the education system or the wishy washy nationalism that has been around for the past 20 years.

Beating a higher seeded team away, in a do or die tie, with the pressure of getting to a first major championship in decades, is pretty good for Scotland standards. And arguably coming back to win the tie through a penalty shoot-out after conceding a sucker punch last minute goal in normal time is 'more impressive' than holding on to 1-0 lead had the Serbs not scored. Which was the point.

4 minutes ago, exile said:

Beating a higher seeded team away, in a do or die tie, with the pressure of getting to a first major championship in decades, is pretty good for Scotland standards. And arguably coming back to win the tie through a penalty shoot-out after conceding a sucker punch last minute goal in normal time is 'more impressive' than holding on to 1-0 lead had the Serbs not scored. Which was the point.

Pretty good is a far better description than impressive. We really don't set ourselves very high standards.

Just now, exile said:

What would you say was Scotland's last impressive game/result?

Last night was pretty impressive in as much as the execution of the game plan was performed to a high standard. Make sure they don't score but at the same time create chances to win the game.

To be honest I think our last really  impressive performance was the 1-0 win against England in 1999.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

No demons with Austria from what I recall...indeed actually good omen they're in this group given that was case for France 98 qualifiers.

Beating a higher seeded team away is a rare thing for us. Austria are hardly world beaters but it is a monkey off our back. Pity we didn’t beat them at home as well or we’d be in an even better position. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Beating a higher seeded team away is a rare thing for us. Austria are hardly world beaters but it is a monkey off our back. Pity we didn’t beat them at home as well or we’d be in an even better position. 

4 points out of 6 against Austria and 4 points out of 6 against Israel. Gotta be happy with that return.