What would be acceptable? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What would be acceptable?

ceudmilefailte

4 minutes ago, thplinth said:

That is a given. The away fixture fills me with dread especially if we scrape past them at home... I can almost write the script now.

I think Israel are the team I fear the most as second place rivals (we ain't outpacing Denmark). So a win against Austria for them is not great either.

We really need them to draw (and us to win and ideally win well). Then it really is back in our own hands for the remaining games.

You never know we might get lucky this time. 😀

We got lucky last time. That's our luck used up for another couple of decades. :lol:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Israel pumped Moldova 1-4 away and Austria just won 0-2 there. Denmark slaughtered them 8-0 (at home however).

So if we drop any points against Moldova at home not only is it over IMHO but we should be throwing rotten cabbages and fruit at the players as they exit the pitch. Steve Clarke should be put in stocks outside Hampden for a week.

Hmmm... It looks like Moldova's away kit is an all yellow affair... just like playing eleven mobile banana skins then. Great. 😀

Edited by thplinth

If we finish behind Israel serious questions would need to be asked as essentially our last 27 encounters have proved that currently we seem relatively equally matched, which is an issue in itself given their ranking.  We’ve got the benefit of just coming off the back of a glorified month long summer training camp though so you’d hope this would give us some sort of edge over a side that gets together sporadically and spends the majority of the time travelling/recovering like we usually did.  Given the lack of a coherent plan in the first half yesterday and the absolute abomination defending/attacking set-pieces I’m not convinced the time is going to bear much fruit though.

The absolute minimum from this campaign is finishing 3rd as we really should be looking for back-to-back Euro qualification for any sign of progress.  Finishing fourth, dropping a pot and getting a shite of a group for Euro 24 would be an abysmal waste of the gift we had not just in qualifying for this summer but having the top 2 seeds in our WC group being Denmark and Austria.   

59 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Israel pumped Moldova 1-4 away and Austria just won 0-2 there. Denmark slaughtered them 8-0 (at home however).

So if we drop any points against Moldova at home not only is it over IMHO but we should be throwing rotten cabbages and fruit at the players as they exit the pitch. Steve Clarke should be put in stocks outside Hampden for a week.

Hmmm... It looks like Moldova's away kit is an all yellow affair... just like playing eleven mobile banana skins then. Great. 😀

:lol:

Actually, I don't even think they are banana skin games anymore. These sort of teams just fancy their chances against us these days, because we have been shyte for so long now. 

9 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

What would be unacceptable is SOD starting ahead of Patterson on Saturday. If that happens I will take on the demeanour of Herbert Lom from the Pink Panther films. 

If SOD is right back in a must win game we must attack in then it’s going to be brick through the tv time. 

god knows what’s going to come out of Steve Clarke’s selection tombola though. Sigh. 

21 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

If we don’t get 3 points from 9 from the current 3 matches, Clarke should go. To qualify we need 6. 

4 might be enough to qualify, especially since Austria got demolished by Denmark, so our goal difference might be a bit better (assuming that's taken into account). Are away goals still a thing in this tournament?

I'm more about performances. First half against Denmark was unacceptable. 2nd half was acceptable. But if we replicate that first half against any other team in our group, then I'll start to seriously have reservations about Clarke staying. Hopefully it was a one off...

8 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

4 might be enough to qualify, especially since Austria got demolished by Denmark, so our goal difference might be a bit better (assuming that's taken into account). Are away goals still a thing in this tournament?

I'm more about performances. First half against Denmark was unacceptable. 2nd half was acceptable. But if we replicate that first half against any other team in our group, then I'll start to seriously have reservations about Clarke staying. Hopefully it was a one off...

GD is the first thing used to separate teams who finish on the same number of points.

"In the league format, the ranking in each group is determined as follows: a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

b) goal difference in all group matches;

c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches. If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;

e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;

f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

g) the goals scored away from home count double between the teams concerned (if the tie is only between two teams); Preliminary competition organisation 28

h) fair play points system in which the number of yellow and red cards in all group matches is considered according to the following deductions: – first yellow card: minus 1 point – second yellow card/indirect red card: minus 3 points – direct red card: minus 4 points – yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points

i) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee."

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

GD is the first thing used to separate teams who finish on the same number of points.

"In the league format, the ranking in each group is determined as follows: a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

b) goal difference in all group matches;

c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches. If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;

e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;

f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

g) the goals scored away from home count double between the teams concerned (if the tie is only between two teams); Preliminary competition organisation 28

h) fair play points system in which the number of yellow and red cards in all group matches is considered according to the following deductions: – first yellow card: minus 1 point – second yellow card/indirect red card: minus 3 points – direct red card: minus 4 points – yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points

i) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee."

Ah okay, good to know. So away goals is pretty low down the priority list, meaning the 2-2 at home might not be as horrible a result as it would have been in the past if we, say, drew 0-0 or 1-1 in Austria. 

A draw v Austria might be enough. But we still have the Israel wild card to attend to. I'm more afraid of them than I am of Austria at this point.

31 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

A draw v Austria might be enough. But we still have the Israel wild card to attend to. I'm more afraid of them than I am of Austria at this point.

A draw might be enough assuming Austria don't beat Israel twice, don't get anything against Denmark, we beat Moldova twice, the Faro's again as well as Israel who we hardly ever beat.

I would imagine there are another pile of permutations that could see Israel end up second.

If Clarke thinks a draw is OK he should go back to the SPL and help some team avoid relegation

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A draw might be enough assuming Austria don't beat Israel twice, don't get anything against Denmark, we beat Moldova twice, the Faro's again as well as Israel who we hardly ever beat.

I would imagine there are another pile of permutations that could see Israel end up second.

If Clarke thinks a draw is OK he should go back to the SPL and help some team avoid relegation

To be honest SPL strugglers is his level & everything about how he sets up his teams and even what he says about the matches afterwards etc screams that’s what he knows and is going for. 

He’s making some balls up of this campaign… 

27 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

To be honest SPL strugglers is his level & everything about how he sets up his teams and even what he says about the matches afterwards etc screams that’s what he knows and is going for. 

He’s making some balls up of this campaign… 

CL winner at Chelsea, managed in the EPL successfully also, so whatever else you think of him that particular argument is shite. 

He's been a bit too negative for me in some crucial games. He needs a good win tomorrow followed by no worse than a draw in Vienna. No chance of him being sacked tho! 

24 minutes ago, slasher said:

CL winner at Chelsea, managed in the EPL successfully also, so whatever else you think of him that particular argument is shite. 

He's been a bit too negative for me in some crucial games. He needs a good win tomorrow followed by no worse than a draw in Vienna. No chance of him being sacked tho! 

Assistant at Chelsea & being sacked by West Brom. Fantastic CV.

In any case it’s the here and now that matters and hes ballsing it up big style. 

Edited by ProudScot

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Assistant at Chelsea & being sacked by West Brom. Fantastic CV.

In any case it’s the here and now that matters and hes ballsing it up big style. 

You're embarrassing yourself. The man has an excellent coaching pedigree.  He's been employed by several top clubs in England. He guided WBA to an 8th place finish only to be placed on gardening leave 6 months later. Is this how we're going to run the Scotland job? You're all sugar this month, next month you're out? Fuck off! 

He's made mistakes for sure, in the Euros also I feel. He still has time and deserves that time to fix it. None of the fuds who want him out have any clue who to turn to next. Do yourself a favour and log out PS 😏

7 hours ago, slasher said:

You're embarrassing yourself. The man has an excellent coaching pedigree.  He's been employed by several top clubs in England. He guided WBA to an 8th place finish only to be placed on gardening leave 6 months later. Is this how we're going to run the Scotland job? You're all sugar this month, next month you're out? Fuck off! 

He's made mistakes for sure, in the Euros also I feel. He still has time and deserves that time to fix it. None of the fuds who want him out have any clue who to turn to next. Do yourself a favour and log out PS 😏

I think you need to take some deep breaths and your tablets again. 

He’s fucking the job big style at the moment and everyone can see it .

7 hours ago, slasher said:

A sensible post at last. This thread is an embarrassment and reeks of self-entitlement and delusions of grandeur. The last 40 years we’ve been pish with occasional glimpses of half-decentness. This campaign is not fucked. Still very much in the hunt for second. The team in the second half of a game just three days ago looked decent.

20 minutes ago, duncan II said:

A sensible post at last. This thread is an embarrassment and reeks of self-entitlement and delusions of grandeur. The last 40 years we’ve been pish with occasional glimpses of half-decentness. This campaign is not fucked. Still very much in the hunt for second. The team in the second half of a game just three days ago looked decent.

Too bad we were already 2 nil down 

52 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Delusions of grandeur?

Being competitive in a relatively easy group is hardly delusions of grandeur. 

One of the most full of pish posts I think I’ve read in a while on here and that’s saying something.