What would be acceptable? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What would be acceptable?

ceudmilefailte

3 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

A point on Wed and a point next week, a win on Saturday is the best I can see. Happy clappers can slam me for 'negativity' if they like, but they have to show from recent games how we can possibly do better.

I'd take that set of results in a heartbeat!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

6 or 5 points is acceptable, 4 points is not enough. 3 points......unthinkable 

If we were by some miracle to get 6 points, it would be just like us to take 3 points off Denmark and lose to Austria and be no better off than before. :lol:

It's possible that 5 points could turn out to be better than 6.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

If we were by some miracle to get 6 points, it would be just like us to take 3 points off Denmark and lose to Austria and be no better off than before. :lol:

It's possible that 5 points could turn out to be better than 6.

Time we ended that attitude. About time we had a statement performance against a side ranked above us. Something akin to the Faddy France one (although that was meaningless in the context).

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Time we ended that attitude. About time we had a statement performance against a side ranked above us. Something akin to the Faddy France one (although that was meaningless in the context).

It would be great if we won all three games, but if we are only winning two of them I'd rather one of them was against Austria. The manager and squad shouldn't be thinking like that obviously, but I'm not one of them.

Genuinely think if we have any chance of qualifying then we need 9 points this week. 

Think coming first in this group could actually be easier than qualifying through any playoff. 

Saying that Denmark and Austria are both better than us so expecting 3 points on sat and thats it and lots of posts of who wants to go to Qatar anyways.

Loved to be proved wrong though.

5 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Genuinely think if we have any chance of qualifying then we need 9 points this week. 

Think coming first in this group could actually be easier than qualifying through any playoff. 

Saying that Denmark and Austria are both better than us so expecting 3 points on sat and thats it and lots of posts of who wants to go to Qatar anyways.

I do believe the play off is likely to be harder than this group, and yes I know we have 5 pts out of 12.  We can be in 2nd place come next Tuesday with 11 points with Israel or Austria with 10 points. 

5 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

We were never getting 9 points from these games and we don't need to either if we want to qualify. Also the teams we could potentially get in the play offs are far worse than Denmark and we would actually have a chance of winning a play off more than coming first in this group. Coming first in this group was never going to happen. 

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I do believe the play off is likely to be harder than this group, and yes I know we have 5 pts out of 12.  We can be in 2nd place come next Tuesday with 11 points with Israel or Austria with 10 points. 

You should look through the groups and see the potential opponents we could face in a play off. Lots of beatable teams, certainly easier to win against than expecting us to top this group.

Denmark are a top ten team in the world and the chances of qualifying as champions of our group was unrealistic to say the least. 

Qualifying via the Play offs has always been a more realistic target by far. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

You should look through the groups and see the potential opponents we could face in a play off. Lots of beatable teams, certainly easier to win against than expecting us to top this group.

Denmark are a top ten team in the world and the chances of qualifying as champions of our group was unrealistic to say the least. 

Qualifying via the Play offs has always been a more realistic target by far. 

I was speaking in hindsight, there's no way we win the group now.  When the group was drawn, I was far more enthusiastic than I am at this point, still a play off is attainable.  6 points off Moldova, 3 points off Israel, 3 3pts of Austria, 3 pts of Faroes and 0 pts v Denmark - I sure am feeling awfully enthusiastic, that means we win 5 out of the next 6.  

Edited by romanticscot

39 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I was speaking in hindsight, there's no way we win the group now.  When the group was drawn, I was far more enthusiastic than I am at this point, still a play off is attainable.  6 points off Moldova, 3 points off Israel, 3 3pts of Austria, 3 pts of Faroes and 0 pts v Denmark - I sure am feeling awfully enthusiastic, that means we win 5 out of the next 6.  

Absolutely no chance of that happening. 

Assuming all the teams above us take 6 points off both Faroes and Moldova and we do the same that takes them both out the picture. (If anyone is likely to banana skin some points there it is probably us but let's say we don't.)

Meaning we are currently fourth in a four team group with 3 out of six games played. It really does come down to how we do against Israel and Austria. Normally I'd predict we pull it back and go into the final game against Denmark needing a win but I think the days of 'glorious failure' are passed us now. I think we have pared it down to just 'failure', the glorious part was a bit too reminiscent of winning, needed to stamp that out! 😀

We seem to struggle against Israel so chances are that could be the killer game... and Austria to be fair. 

Edited by thplinth

Hmmm looks like both Austria and Israel have played two diddy (Moldova/ Faroes) teams each so far whereas we and Denmark have only played one diddy team each... so that could theoretically work in our favour... especially if they draw. That would even us up and remove the current two point deficit to both (I think).

It's the hope that kills you. 😀 

edit: so if Austria and Israel draw next game and we beat Moldova we would all be sitting on equal points and we'd have to play each one more time (plus Denmark). It is definitely still possible. 

edit: if they draw and we blooter Moldova and we could go second on GD?

Edited by thplinth

So unless I've made an arse of this... assuming we beat Moldova we will be sitting at a minimum in third spot no matter what, and if we get lucky and Austria/Israel is a draw and we beat Moldova by 3 or more we could be in second spot, out of four teams (non diddy) at the half way stage with two (non diddy) home games and one (non diddy) away game to go.

Can't really ask for more than that at this stage if it happens... especially considering how crap we are. 😀 Given the gloom on here I was expecting it be a lot worse than it is. (Cue: Defeat to Moldova...)

Edited by thplinth

The draws could be hurting us. Obviously better to win a game and lose one than have two draws. We should definitely be going for it more in the games we have left. (Fuck it I'd rather go out that way anyway if it does not work out.)

If either Israel or Austria get a win next game they'll be tough to catch I expect. We have to play Austria away still so we don't want it be them especially. Pray to the Gods of Draw.

32 minutes ago, thplinth said:

So unless I've made an arse of this... assuming we beat Moldova we will be sitting at a minimum in third spot no matter what, and if we get lucky and Austria/Israel is a draw and we beat Moldova by 3 or more we could be in second spot, out of four teams (non diddy) at the half way stage with two (non diddy) home games and one (non diddy) away game to go.

Can't really ask for more than that at this stage if it happens... especially considering how crap we are. 😀 Given the gloom on here I was expecting it be a lot worse than it is. (Cue: Defeat to Moldova...)

I don't think we will lose to Moldova. We might struggle to score though?

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think we will lose to Moldova. We might struggle to score though?

That is a given. The away fixture fills me with dread especially if we scrape past them at home... I can almost write the script now.

I think Israel are the team I fear the most as second place rivals (we ain't outpacing Denmark). So a win against Austria for them is not great either.

We really need them to draw (and us to win and ideally win well). Then it really is back in our own hands for the remaining games.

You never know we might get lucky this time. 😀