Scotland squad - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

wanderer

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Souter has a way to go.  Spends more time injured.  Need a decent season from him.

I know he gets talked up a lot on here but I just don't see it with John Souttar.  Is he really any better than anyone else already named in the squad?

2 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I get mctominay plays because he is on the books of man united , however I think we have enough players to choose that he doesn’t have to be shoe horned into the side.

He's a bit more than just on their books, he's a first team regular for them and has been for a few seasons now.  We haven't had many players playing regularly for a club of Man United's stature in recent years (or recent decades, come to think about it!).

7 hours ago, scotlad said:

A few interesting inclusions. Slightly surprised Jon McLaughlin wasn't selected but Liam Kelly has started the season well and Clarke has spoken positively about him in the past so it's fair to say he's in there on merit.  Zander Clark has earned his place too, ditto Lewis Ferguson.

It's a shame McTominay is injured but at least Andy Robertson seems to be on the mend.

McLaughlin is injured. McGregor started his first league game and McCrorie was the sub keeper at the weekend due to this.

The gradual evolution of the squad. Youngsters cement their place - Gilmour, Patterson, Turnbull. some freshening up of the goalies. I’ve not seen Ferguson much but another youngster in the frame. In another 12 months I’m sure the progression will have continued. Maybe Wright and Ramsay will have forced their way in by then? I like the theory of gradually introducing youngsters. Not yet proven in practice but I’m prepared to give Clarke the benefit of the doubt here 

31 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

I'm a bit disappointed that Lewis Morgan hasn't got a call up here. Both him and Ryan Gauld deserve it. 

I can't believe that people are suggesting that Scott Wright should get a call up ahead of them at this stage.

Who would you drop for gauld and Morgan? I don't think either has done anything that makes me want to remove other players from the squad.

10 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

The gradual evolution of the squad. Youngsters cement their place - Gilmour, Patterson, Turnbull. some freshening up of the goalies. I’ve not seen Ferguson much but another youngster in the frame. In another 12 months I’m sure the progression will have continued. Maybe Wright and Ramsay will have forced their way in by then? I like the theory of gradually introducing youngsters. Not yet proven in practice but I’m prepared to give Clarke the benefit of the doubt here 

One of the comparisons at the Euros was that we were not doing this early enough compared with some other teams that weren't worried about playing 19 yo and even 17yo. We had the chance to give the youngsters more game time in the pre-tourney friendlies and perhaps would have done better with younger legs in the Croatia game so hope that's another aspect that can be improved upon in the next 3 games.

2 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

One of the comparisons at the Euros was that we were not doing this early enough compared with some other teams that weren't worried about playing 19 yo and even 17yo. We had the chance to give the youngsters more game time in the pre-tourney friendlies and perhaps would have done better with younger legs in the Croatia game so hope that's another aspect that can be improved upon in the next 3 games.

Clarke alluded to this in his press conference. Well, he said fresher legs, but same kind of thing. 

I think having Patterson, Turnbull and Gilmour all in thr squad will benefit us going forward. They should have been utilised more in hindsight, but looking forward it'll stand us in good stead.

Personally I'd have had a younger 3rd choice keeper there as well, but I think that is a position that is really difficult to predict how their career will pan out.

Gordon

Hendry Hanley tierney

Patterson.                        Robertson

Mcgregor gilmour

Mcginn

Fraser  adams

That would be my team against the Danish with Christie, Turnbull and Dykes as first choices coming off the bench. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Gordon

Hendry Hanley tierney

Patterson.                        Robertson

Mcgregor gilmour

Mcginn

Fraser  adams

That would be my team against the Danish with Christie, Turnbull and Dykes as first choices coming off the bench. 

That's pretty much the exact team I'd play against Denmark as well. I'm still unsure on which striker to play, but I am sure it shouldn't be 2 strikers. I.e it should be an attacking midfielder like Christie, Fraser or Forrest supporting

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

That's pretty much the exact team I'd play against Denmark as well. I'm still unsure on which striker to play, but I am sure it shouldn't be 2 strikers. I.e it should be an attacking midfielder like Christie, Fraser or Forrest supporting

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeh that'd be my team also. Fraser at his best definitely would be support striker but i expect due to lack of game time Clarke will go with Christie, Forrest or even Armstrong. I'm ok with any of those selections just not 2 outright strikers please. 

8 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh that'd be my team also. Fraser at his best definitely would be support striker but i expect due to lack of game time Clarke will go with Christie, Forrest or even Armstrong. I'm ok with any of those selections just not 2 outright strikers please. 

Would rather have two strikers as we need to play more football rather than just launching balls forwards to hopeless guys on their own up front.

6 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Would rather have two strikers as we need to play more football rather than just launching balls forwards to hopeless guys on their own up front.

I kind of feel like that was what happened when we did play 2 strikers as well though. There was a disconnect between the strikers and the midfield. Dykes and Adams played some nice stuff between each other, but there was not enough attacking flair coming from midfield to support them.

Two strikers would be good if they both actually struck occasionally.  I'd put Christie in there for his work rate as well as his ability.  We surely have good enough players that we can play through the midfield without launching it long all the time?

38 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Two strikers would be good if they both actually struck occasionally.  I'd put Christie in there for his work rate as well as his ability.  We surely have good enough players that we can play through the midfield without launching it long all the time?

We surely have good enough players that we can play through the midfield without launching it long all the time?

This is exactly why i said NO to 2 strikers when playing against good opposition especially away from home.

Too many British defenders when put under pressure like we will be in Copenhagen & probably in Vienna are lazy & will resort to the easy option, humping it long & hoping for a flick on from a target man. Think we can all predict the result of that, lost possession & the pressure just builds until the inevitable. 

We've got quality ball playing midfielders in McGregor & especially Gilmour so please let's use them not resort to neanderthal football from a bygone era.. 

18 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Who would you drop for gauld and Morgan? I don't think either has done anything that makes me want to remove other players from the squad.

Is there a squad size limit? I'd have just included them on top. If there was a limit I'd have been inclined to pick one over Armstrong. I like him as a player, but I feel he's had a lot of chances at international level now and never quite done enough. 

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's going to go down well with a lot on here, hope he is called up to replace Armstrong.

Going by his "sooner than expected" comment, I would not be shocked if Clarke was to approach him about replacing Armstrong.

12 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Is there a squad size limit? I'd have just included them on top. If there was a limit I'd have been inclined to pick one over Armstrong. I like him as a player, but I feel he's had a lot of chances at international level now and never quite done enough. 

I've no idea if there is a squad size limit but I'm not sure either of those players should replace Armstrong unless he's injured. Armstrong plays at a much better level and I think the hype around gauld was....Well it's just hype otherwise why sign for vancouver?

Armstrong may not have set the world alight for Scotland but who has? He's a good squad player and I don't see gauld or Morgan as good options.