RIP Scouse Paul - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

RIP Scouse Paul

Just heard the news this morning that a lad I used to bump into regularly on away trips has passed away.

Paul Clarke was from Liverpool, thick scouse accent and travelled with Scotland because in his words "didnt like dancing round thrown beer bottles and garden furniture when at the football"

Paul was a lovely fella that unfortunately took a stroke a number of years ago that put paid to his travels with the Tartan Army.

He had a lot of stories to tell, one famous one being he was spiked by a horse tranquiliser in Estonia and was robbed of even his shoes, the TA clubbed together and had a whip round for him meaning he could get to the game and get a pair of shoes on his feet.

Anyway RIP Paul

I remember people from here going down to see him after he had his stroke, I think it was the same person.

It's a bit of a head fuck being on here so long and thinking of the people who have passed away in that time. Condolences to all that knew him.

27 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Same with Colin Harris too. Another character to say the least. See the odd picture on facebook from family etc visiting and posting updates. Poor sod.

Didn’t really know Colin as he is a bit older than me but i did know his two younger brothers from school, they’re about a year or two either side of me.

Then I remember talking to him at a game and he was totally confused as I knew all about him but he didn’t have a clue who I was. 

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Same with Colin Harris too. Another character to say the least. See the odd picture on facebook from family etc visiting and posting updates. Poor sod.

Ah, KiltedBlue2. Had the (mis)fortune of rooming with him for the Liechtenstein/Spain double header with Passport Travel. Eventful, to say the least! A genuine guy though with a heart of gold. 

11 hours ago, aaid said:

Didn’t really know Colin as he is a bit older than me but i did know his two younger brothers from school, they’re about a year or two either side of me.

Then I remember talking to him at a game and he was totally confused as I knew all about him but he didn’t have a clue who I was. 

He was in the army with Gary Holt, so i knew him through Gary and his mates. He used to go down to Norwich games and sit in the players lounge pre/ppst match with kilt, pipers jacket on, the lot! 

38 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Ah, KiltedBlue2. Had the (mis)fortune of rooming with him for the Liechtenstein/Spain double header with Passport Travel. Eventful, to say the least! A genuine guy though with a heart of gold. 

Ha, rather you than me. You wouldn't have got much sleep! 

Off his head but as you say, heart of gold. The Bari boys became good pals with him. 

24 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He was in the army with Gary Holt, so i knew him through Gary and his mates. He used to go down to Norwich games and sit in the players lounge pre/ppst match with kilt, pipers jacket on, the lot! 

Ha, rather you than me. You wouldn't have got much sleep! 

Off his head but as you say, heart of gold. The Bari boys became good pals with him. 

Regarding that Liechtenstein game - Passport Travel booked into a hotel in Zurich and bussed us all to Vaduz and back on a day trip. Strict instructions were to board the buses outside the ground immediately after the game. Colin being Colin decided to hang about, go for a few beers, ended up in a hotel with the ref and officials and shared a table with them before getting a taxi back to Zurich about 2am. Cost him about €200 for the taxi! 😆

39 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Regarding that Liechtenstein game - Passport Travel booked into a hotel in Zurich and bussed us all to Vaduz and back on a day trip. Strict instructions were to board the buses outside the ground immediately after the game. Colin being Colin decided to hang about, go for a few beers, ended up in a hotel with the ref and officials and shared a table with them before getting a taxi back to Zurich about 2am. Cost him about €200 for the taxi! 😆

That does not surprise me in the least! 

I never did Liectenstein as was in Ibiza for a 40th but met him in Alicante outside the stadium i'm sure. 

Mind Oslo 2005 he was in a fountain with full rig out on most the day and his carry out sitting on the wall that he'd go to now and again for a drink! Must have gone to the match soaking. 

8 hours ago, McTeeko said:

I love stories like that and you'd always hear bizarre tales on away trips. Sometimes I really miss it

On 8/24/2021 at 6:30 AM, chaff said:

Just heard the news this morning that a lad I used to bump into regularly on away trips has passed away.

Paul Clarke was from Liverpool, thick scouse accent and travelled with Scotland because in his words "didnt like dancing round thrown beer bottles and garden furniture when at the football"

Paul was a lovely fella that unfortunately took a stroke a number of years ago that put paid to his travels with the Tartan Army.

He had a lot of stories to tell, one famous one being he was spiked by a horse tranquiliser in Estonia and was robbed of even his shoes, the TA clubbed together and had a whip round for him meaning he could get to the game and get a pair of shoes on his feet.

Anyway RIP Paul

That’s sad news. I met him when I was in Milan for the WC qualifier match v Italy in 2005. A friendly guy and I loved his story of why he followed Scotland - he’d gone to Wembley for the 1971 England-Scotland match supporting England, but when he got inside the stadium and saw the atmosphere created by the Scottish supporters he decided that was the team for him and followed them ever after that.

1 hour ago, neilser said:

That’s sad news. I met him when I was in Milan for the WC qualifier match v Italy in 2005. A friendly guy and I loved his story of why he followed Scotland - he’d gone to Wembley for the 1971 England-Scotland match supporting England, but when he got inside the stadium and saw the atmosphere created by the Scottish supporters he decided that was the team for him and followed them ever after that.

I had the same thought ; but wasnt 100% sure it was him ; i thought to myself he cant of been that old - but was a while back

Gibson duo bar ?