Tokyo 2020(1) - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tokyo 2020(1)

Toepoke

Tao Geoghan Hart going in the Cycling Road Race tonight. Scotland’s most successful ever road racer.

Also Scots in

rowing heats as part of the Men’s four, Women’s four and Women’s pair.

Seoniad McIntosh is a medal prospect in the 10m air rifle

Lucy Hope as part of the 4x100m freestyle team.

The Murray brothers are both playing their opening doubles matches 

The women’s football team has its second game, likely to feature both Caroline Weir and Kim Little.

The cycling road race is just getting to the business end right now as they start the climb of Mount Fuji. Commentators saying they're just getting ready for action as the peloton starts to wind in a breakaway. Stunning scenery. Geoghan Hart still up there after a fall. Pogacar looks well placed.

Absolutely ridiculous coverage by BBC. Swapping it between BBC1 and red button. Then Pogacar makes a decisive move... and they break to an interview with Mark Cavendish and the race pictures in a wee box in the corner as Van Aert fights back. Fucking amateur hour. Still, I got an insight into the pressures of competing at London 2012 with the hopes of a nation riding blah blah blah 🙄🤬

41 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Absolutely ridiculous coverage by BBC. Swapping it between BBC1 and red button. Then Pogacar makes a decisive move... and they break to an interview with Mark Cavendish and the race pictures in a wee box in the corner as Van Aert fights back. Fucking amateur hour. Still, I got an insight into the pressures of competing at London 2012 with the hopes of a nation riding blah blah blah 🙄🤬

Yeah, I put Eurosport on at that point. No commentary, just the race. 

Fantastic race, brilliant win by Carapaz. 

BBC coverage is a bit meh compared with previous years when there were loads of events available to choose from on the iplayer. Presumably because of Eurosport having greater rights?

I see England (plus Little and Weir) have just qualified for the knockouts.

I learned yesterday that the IOC rights for this territory were won by Discovery (Eurosport owner) hence why they have the main package. If you hit the red button on Eurosport it opens up a further 9 channels so hopefully you can see whatever you want, live. Also there is the option of subscribing to Discovery+ for £4.99 a month (I don't know if this is a cancel whenever you like deal or if it locks you in for a year as I won't be doing this). I guess the Discovery deal would guarantee you can watch absolutely anything live. The package that was left for the BBC was the scraps from the top table. Apparently they can only show two events simultaneously now. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

I learned yesterday that the IOC rights for this territory were won by Discovery (Eurosport owner) hence why they have the main package. If you hit the red button on Eurosport it opens up a further 9 channels so hopefully you can see whatever you want, live. Also there is the option of subscribing to Discovery+ for £4.99 a month (I don't know if this is a cancel whenever you like deal or if it locks you in for a year as I won't be doing this). I guess the Discovery deal would guarantee you can watch absolutely anything live. The package that was left for the BBC was the scraps from the top table. Apparently they can only show two events simultaneously now. Hope this helps.

Yeah I noticed last night, Discovery+ or Eurosport Player have the full coverage although both are subscription services, not sure I'll bother.

Andy Murray won't make it a hat-trick of singles golds, has pulled out with fitness concerns to focus on the doubles only.

51 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Yeah I noticed last night, Discovery+ or Eurosport Player have the full coverage although both are subscription services, not sure I'll bother.

I've now realised this morning my Virgin box has Eurosport 3,4,5,6,7,8 & 9, all showing different events live. I thought we only had 1&2!

Looks like I don't need to subscribe to anything :-))

Edited by Toepoke

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

I've now realised this morning my Virgin box has Eurosport 3,4,5,6,7,8 & 9, all showing different events live. I thought we only had 1&2!

Looks like I don't need to subscribe to anything :-))

That's good. I have Sky Q - on that I just press the red button and the extra Eurosport streams open up.

Just seen the clip of the unknown Austrian female cyclist who does not have a professional team winning gold in the womens road race. So great was her lead that the 2nd placed rider, who I think is the reigning world champ, actually thot she had won because she had knew nothing of her breakaway 70km out!

1 hour ago, shaggycoo said:

Just seen the clip of the unknown Austrian female cyclist who does not have a professional team winning gold in the womens road race. So great was her lead that the 2nd placed rider, who I think is the reigning world champ, actually thot she had won because she had knew nothing of her breakaway 70km out!

I thought this as I watched the finish this morning, Van Vleuten looked as if she thought she had won. No team radios in the Olympics, obviously makes a difference. 

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Gold for Italy and Marcel Jacobs in the mens 100m final

Really enjoyed track and field today. Nice to see the Italian win the 100m, crazy stuff in the men's high jump (How about you give both of us a gold? Yeah, why not) and a world record in the women's triple jump even when Rojas seemed to mess up the second section of the jump. 

12 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Really enjoyed track and field today. Nice to see the Italian win the 100m, crazy stuff in the men's high jump (How about you give both of us a gold? Yeah, why not) and a world record in the women's triple jump even when Rojas seemed to mess up the second section of the jump. 

I thought Rojas messed it up. Her jump looked almost effortless 

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Incredible 400m hurdles final has the first two men beat the world record!

46 seconds broken, the old record was 46.70 :o

Wow, that's getting close to Juantorena's time when he "opened his legs and showed his class" and he didn't have any hurdles in his way. :lol: