Scotland v Moldova - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Moldova

wanderer

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

I know wee midget dicks like Gordon Strachan would like to put it down to genetics... but Scotland's real problem is a mental one... all day long.

300+ years of getting shafted before you even start takes a toll... The Danes know how to win because they were never subjugated like we are... for hundreds of years now.

Switched over to the Israel / Austria game 4-2!

It's like watching a golfer with the yips.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Job done but we made heavy weather of it. 

Very wasteful and Dykes & Nisbet were poor, Christie could not hit a coo on the arse wi' a stick if he wis haudin' its tail. 

Positives go to Patterson, McGinn, Tierney & Gilmour. 

If I was crittiquing the manager I'd say I'm not sure we needed 3 CB's tonight. We should have been pressing them far more aggressively high up the pitch. I also thought it was a game tailor made for Turnbull, I'd have played him from the start instead of Hendry. 

We need to win in Vienna imo

9 minutes ago, fringo said:

Scoring goals has been our biggest problem for at least 25 years. If we'd that we would have qualified a few more times in over 2 decades. 

Absolutely. Our last striker to exceed 20 goals for Scotland retired 35 years ago. (Dalglish) And it's only happened 4 times in our long history.

We don't even need a world class striker, we just need a poacher that has decent movement. As someone else said, we badly miss Kenny Miller, though he was never a poacher, sadly.

The squad has largely improved over the last 5 years, but Kenny Miller and Scott Brown are 2 big players that were never properly replaced.

Edited by Tartan blood

So much negativity on the board today, I am choosing to be positive. We played decent and did what we needed to. We missed a few chances on another day we might have taken, plus we didn't give them much chances, had plenty of the ball. Keep the wins coming and the confidence grows. 

Gilmour on what his 3rd cap doesn't play like a young lad with so little experience and Patterson is a great asset. 

1 minute ago, romanticscot said:

So much negativity on the board today, I am choosing to be positive. We played decent and did what we needed to. We missed a few chances on another day we might have taken, plus we didn't give them much chances, had plenty of the ball. Keep the wins coming and the confidence grows. 

Gilmour on what his 3rd cap doesn't play like a young lad with so little experience and Patterson is a great asset. 

As I’ve posted earlier I felt we could afford to go 4 at the back against Moldova and play an extra midfielder to retain possession and pin Moldova in their own half. Other than that, I thought it was a reasonable performance, could’ve scored a couple more. Was a bit disappointed that Lewis Ferguson didn’t get on, I’d have had him on instead of McLean. 

7 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

As I’ve posted earlier I felt we could afford to go 4 at the back against Moldova and play an extra midfielder to retain possession and pin Moldova in their own half. Other than that, I thought it was a reasonable performance, could’ve scored a couple more. Was a bit disappointed that Lewis Ferguson didn’t get on, I’d have had him on instead of McLean. 

Could have scored a couple more....... Could have scored one less as well. Only real positive tonight was the Israel win. 

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Could have scored a couple more....... Could have scored one less as well. Only real positive tonight was the Israel win. 

I disagree, I thought Gilmour played well, Patterson played well for his 1st Cap, the backline was solid, never really looked in trouble. McGinn got minutes in his legs. Nisbet had some nice touches around the box. A decent, professional performance. 

Patterson, Gilmour, McGinn and Christie all did well tonight. Patterson expecially for me with some great runs and some great tackles. Lost some urgency towards the end of the first half and i the second half. Corners were better from Gilmour but why Hanley and Tierney couldn't get them on target is poor. Nisbet did not look very threatening apart from his part in the goal but at least has got a game under his belt. Moldova were not really a serious threat so we really needed a bit more urgency. Turnbull looked to hae that when he came on - would like to see him or Fraser support a lone striker in the Austria game.

2 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Patterson, Gilmour, McGinn and Christie all did well tonight. Patterson expecially for me with some great runs and some great tackles. Lost some urgency towards the end of the first half and i the second half. Corners were better from Gilmour but why Hanley and Tierney couldn't get them on target is poor. Nisbet did not look very threatening apart from his part in the goal but at least has got a game under his belt. Moldova were not really a serious threat so we really needed a bit more urgency. Turnbull looked to hae that when he came on - would like to see him or Fraser support a lone striker in the Austria game.

Nisbet linked up nicely with Gilmour for a very good chance for Gilmour. 

53 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

That’s the kind of thing a kid would say……. why don’t we get a good manager rather than a foreign one….. oh yeah, cos foreign is always better.

like all those second rate expensive ‘foreigners’ that came  to our league and wreck the chances of our best youngsters…… 

Kumnio troll….. you are more depressing than than that 5 at the back troll. Glass ain’t half empty, it’s spilt!

🍺 happy clapper nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, thelonehutch said:

We're too poor, too wee, and too stuuupid! Gie it a rest.

Are you Ian Crocker or Davie Provan?

He’s not saying that, he’s saying it was a pish performance. If you think otherwise, that’s fine but don’t patronise people who thought it was a grim night of football 

40 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Nisbet linked up nicely with Gilmour for a very good chance for Gilmour. 

On the highlights I did see a couple of nice touches but watchng at the game he did not look as threatening as I expected but it was his first game and good to see him getting a start as Dykes looked a bit sluggish at times also. Be interesting to see what SC lines up with v Austria but think perhaps Turnbull or Fraser with one forward would be a good option against a much tougher opponent.

5 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

On the highlights I did see a couple of nice touches but watchng at the game he did not look as threatening as I expected but it was his first game and good to see him getting a start as Dykes looked a bit sluggish at times also. Be interesting to see what SC lines up with v Austria but think perhaps Turnbull or Fraser with one forward would be a good option against a much tougher opponent.

Would prefer Fraser or Christie with one forward I think it's too soon for Turnbull. No beating about the bush.,all our forwards are crap

15 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

If he’s playing 1 up top, I’d go with Fraser behind for his pace. 
Personally I’d play 2 up top, probably Dykes and Nisbet.

Im wondering if he’ll revert back to O’Donnell at right wing back. I’d hope he will play Patterson against Austria but I’ve got a feeling he’ll go with O’Donnell. 
He will go with Gilmour and McGinn as 2 of the 3 midfielders. Not sure if he will choose Christie or McGregor. Thought Christie was decent tonight, I’d personally pick him against Austria. But I think Clarke will pick Macgregor instead.

Edited by Scot1

5 hours ago, slasher said:

Job done but we made heavy weather of it. 

Very wasteful and Dykes & Nisbet were poor, Christie could not hit a coo on the arse wi' a stick if he wis haudin' its tail. 

Positives go to Patterson, McGinn, Tierney & Gilmour. 

If I was crittiquing the manager I'd say I'm not sure we needed 3 CB's tonight. We should have been pressing them far more aggressively high up the pitch. I also thought it was a game tailor made for Turnbull, I'd have played him from the start instead of Hendry. 

We need to win in Vienna imo

A draw in Vienna is OK as long as we can beat Israel at home. Our draw away in Israel is starting to look quite a decent result all considering. 

4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He’s not saying that, he’s saying it was a pish performance. If you think otherwise, that’s fine but don’t patronise people who thought it was a grim night of football 

He's been saying we are pish since Friday and never stopped since. Clearly not just about performance as he has issues with Clarke. Maybe look a wee bit deeper before jumping in. 

Don't patronise people? Whilst telling me what I should or shouldn't be saying🤣 

Thanks for the advice but I'll say what I like!

31 minutes ago, thelonehutch said:

He's been saying we are pish since Friday and never stopped since. Clearly not just about performance as he has issues with Clarke. Maybe look a wee bit deeper before jumping in. 

Don't patronise people? Whilst telling me what I should or shouldn't be saying🤣 

Thanks for the advice but I'll say what I like!

Maybe not just this performance but ongoing? That seems fair enough to me, Clarke’s record speaks for itself. 

Just to be clear, say that you like, as others with different opinions 

Lol I am confused, we created loads of chances and it was pretty much one way traffic with Moldova barely able to string two passes together let alone create a clear cut chance. 

Wheres the negativity coming from? Have ppl forgotten we aren't Brazil or Spain. What we need is a goalscorer to convert the many chances we create. 

All in all a decent performance coupled by Israel doing us a massive favour in beating Austria. Happy days. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol I am confused, we created loads of chances and it was pretty much one way traffic with Moldova barely able to string two passes together let alone create a clear cut chance. 

Wheres the negativity coming from? Have ppl forgotten we aren't Brazil or Spain. What we need is a goalscorer to convert the many chances we create. 

All in all a decent performance coupled by Israel doing us a massive favour in beating Austria. Happy days. 

Moldova are garbage and our best chances only came because they made some shocking mistakes, out with set pieces we didn’t really open them up otherwise. 

We continue to be really passive as well. Does Clarke know that goal difference is the deciding factor?

Not sure I’d look at the Israel result doing us a favour when they are our direct rival and at this stage at least look likely to finish above us. 

27 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Moldova are garbage and our best chances only came because they made some shocking mistakes, out with set pieces we didn’t really open them up otherwise. 

We continue to be really passive as well. Does Clarke know that goal difference is the deciding factor?

Not sure I’d look at the Israel result doing us a favour when they are our direct rival and at this stage at least look likely to finish above us. 

Most chances in football come from mistakes from the opposing team.  We were far from passive tonight, infact we were up for it and chased and harried them constantly. Our main problem is converting the many chances we made into goals. 

"out with set pieces we didn’t really open them up otherwise." 

What game were you watching, there were plenty of chances we created in open play. Watch the extended highlights again. 

The Israel result is massive as before tonight we were assuming austria would beat them or at least draw. Israel beating austria has opened things up brilliantly, its basically gifted us a better chance of getting 2nd. 

If you said at the start of group that we could get the play off spot with only having to beat israel at home and not having to even get a win against Austria I would of bitten the hand off. Most teams won't get 2nd place with only having to beat their main rivals once. 

We could potentially qualify with a game to spare if we can avoid defeat in Vienna and beat Israel at home which we had to anyway to stand a chance of getting 2nd.