Scotland v Moldova - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Moldova

wanderer

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Spot on. Its not the system thats the problem or the solutions. Players make a system work or not.

Tierney and McTom as perfect for 532 as they are comfortable on the ball, can pass it into midfield and will take the ball from the GK. Meaning our midfield dont need to come and get it. That leaves 1 CB role to just win headers and tackles. I think Hendry could do the role as RCB and to a slightly lesser extent Cooper at LCB.

If those players arent available id switch to 4 at the back and have 2 holding mids sitting right infront of defence. Key to that would be having 4 attacking players in front of that. By attacking I mean players like Christie, Fraser, Turnbull etc. Not McGreggor / Fleck.

The 3-5-2 was primarily to accommodate Tierney & Robbo. However Tierney is so good he can play anywhere....

As you say - it's just a system. It worked Against England. Though against smaller teams we shouldn't be tied to it.  My own frustration with 3-5-2 is that Tierneys opportunity to get forward is usually limited. 

32 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Spot on. Its not the system thats the problem or the solutions. Players make a system work or not.

Tierney and McTom as perfect for 532 as they are comfortable on the ball, can pass it into midfield and will take the ball from the GK. Meaning our midfield dont need to come and get it. That leaves 1 CB role to just win headers and tackles. I think Hendry could do the role as RCB and to a slightly lesser extent Cooper at LCB.

If those players arent available id switch to 4 at the back and have 2 holding mids sitting right infront of defence. Key to that would be having 4 attacking players in front of that. By attacking I mean players like Christie, Fraser, Turnbull etc. Not McGreggor / Fleck.

Agree with the part about players making the system work, but Cooper has been generally poor at the LCB role. the 5-3-2 system has only worked when we've had both McTominay and Tierney available.

Against teams we should be dominating and we're expected to win (i.e. on Saturday) I'd like to see us go back to a four in defence with an attack-minded midfield five. Tierney is that good he should slot in at CB easily enough with a more commanding defender beside him (Hanley/Gallagher).

15 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

The 3-5-2 was primarily to accommodate Tierney & Robbo. However Tierney is so good he can play anywhere....

As you say - it's just a system. It worked Against England. Though against smaller teams we shouldn't be tied to it.  My own frustration with 3-5-2 is that Tierneys opportunity to get forward is usually limited. 

Regardless of formation our major problems are having little to zero offensively down our right and still not having the central midfield balance correct (at least in my mind these are the major problems). With Patterson, Ralston and even Fraser at wing back (if we play 3-5-2 again) there are players there who can hopefully solve this issue. 
As far as the midfield goes, we need a defensive midfielder. Lewis Ferguson could do it (whether he’s ready at this moment is unsure, I think Tierney could do it, although admittedly he’s never played there before. Ryan Jack isn’t the long term solution. 
If we can sort of these problems, everything else will click into place, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Regardless of formation our major problems are having little to zero offensively down our right and still not having the central midfield balance correct (at least in my mind these are the major problems). With Patterson, Ralston and even Fraser at wing back (if we play 3-5-2 again) there are players there who can hopefully solve this issue. 
As far as the midfield goes, we need a defensive midfielder. Lewis Ferguson could do it (whether he’s ready at this moment is unsure, I think Tierney could do it, although admittedly he’s never played there before. Ryan Jack isn’t the long term solution. 
If we can sort of these problems, everything else will click into place, in my opinion.

Why wouldn't Ryan Jack be the long-term solution? He's only 29 and in his position players often carry on playing internationals until their mid-30s. He's also been a mainstay of a Rangers side which looks comfortable playing above the sum of their parts in Europe; should have beaten Benfica twice for example.

7 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Why wouldn't Ryan Jack be the long-term solution? He's only 29 and in his position players often carry on playing internationals until their mid-30s. He's also been a mainstay of a Rangers side which looks comfortable playing above the sum of their parts in Europe; should have beaten Benfica twice for example.

yep, we are missing Ryan Jack big time just now. 

I am not expecting any massive change for tomorrow. I can see us lining up like this:-

Gordon

Cooper       Hanley      Tierney

O'Donnell                                                                                                             Robertson

Gilmour          McGinn          McGregor   

Dykes         Adams    

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am not expecting any massive change for tomorrow. I can see us lining up like this:-

Gordon

O'Donnell                                                                                                             Robertson

Dykes         Adams    

Sadly I think you're right, thought maybe Hendry instead of Cooper or just Cooper swapped with Hanley since he's left footed

2 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Sadly I think you're right, thought maybe Hendry instead of Cooper or just Cooper swapped with Hanley since he's left footed

Yip apologies switch Hanley with Cooper positionally. I cannot see any other options being taken. I'd be happy to see him play perhaps Clark in goal, Patterson at right wing-back and maybe Turnbull in place of McGregor but all of those I cannot see happening. Or even ditching five at the back as we are playing Moldova not Brazil.

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gordon

Dykes         Adams    

Patterson in at RWB surely. 

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

If he cannot be bold against Moldova then all hope truly is lost.

Clarke is the sort who is looking for the win tomorrow. Playing O'Donnell over Patterson is not going to alter the end result (I would strongly think) and so he will stick with the tried and tested. The bigger picture should be looked at though and we should be looking at options and right wing-back Patterson would be one option. Another worth a long look is Turnbull who is comfortably out-performing McGregor at club level.

1 hour ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Because I don’t think he is defensively good enough off the ball. He’s also injury prone and has played on average about 20 games per season for Rangers over the last 4 seasons. 

9 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Because I don’t think he is defensively good enough off the ball. He’s also injury prone and has played on average about 20 games per season for Rangers over the last 4 seasons. 

You could say the same about Tierney regarding his injuries. Doesn't stop him being a valuable member of our team when fully fit.

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Patterson in at RWB surely. 

Wouldn't count on it, Clarke seems to rate SOD.

Time for Patterson to be our first choice right-back. None of this "you need international experience" nonsense please. Blooding promising youngsters has been a brilliant strategy for Wales and we need to start doing the same thing.

14 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

You could say the same about Tierney regarding his injuries. Doesn't stop him being a valuable member of our team when fully fit.

I don’t think Jack is good enough defensively. He doesn’t track runners, he’s not going to constantly press, harass, tackle and break up play, he’s not a ball winner. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gordon

Dykes         Adams    

I'm not sure why you and so many others are so keen on playing 2 strikers. Our biggest problem on Wednesday and the Euros was the total disconnect between the midfield and the strikers. Playing 2 strikers isn't going to solve that. It just adds an extra player to be isolated.

1 striker is fine, if they can finish. We need more creativity in the midfield. Fraser was basically tasked with doing that by himself against Denmark, though he was pretty much playing as a striker anyway.

Get McGinn back in, keep Fraser in, and ideally another attacking midfielder like Christie or Turnbull, but I doubt that'll happen.

7 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm not sure why you and so many others are so keen on playing 2 strikers. Our biggest problem on Wednesday and the Euros was the total disconnect between the midfield and the strikers. Playing 2 strikers isn't going to solve that. It just adds an extra player to be isolated.

1 striker is fine, if they can finish. We need more creativity in the midfield. Fraser was basically tasked with doing that by himself against Denmark, though he was pretty much playing as a striker anyway.

Get McGinn back in, keep Fraser in, and ideally another attacking midfielder like Christie or Turnbull, but I doubt that'll happen.

Having an attacking outlet, threat on the right side from right/back or right/wingback would also make a big difference.

1 hour ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Wouldn't count on it, Clarke seems to rate SOD.

Time for Patterson to be our first choice right-back. None of this "you need international experience" nonsense please. Blooding promising youngsters has been a brilliant strategy for Wales and we need to start doing the same thing.

I don't think it's as much that he rates SOD massively, he just knows what he's getitng. 

Patterson really needs to start playing regular first team football, no matter how good he is or expectations for how good he;ll be, if he's sitting on the bench most weeks he's not much use. 

Tavernier isn't THAT good that he can't force him out. Captain or no captain.