Scotland v Moldova - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Moldova

wanderer

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think we need a shake up for this game

Gordon
Patterson Hanley Cooper Robertson
            Gilmour   McGregor
Christie       McGinn          Fraser
                     Nisbet

Tierney looks low on confidence so I'd take him out for this game. We need goals so I'd be telling both full backs to overlap Christie & Fraser who can both cut inside and just make sure Nisbet & McGinn get good service.

I like where your head is at, didn't we play this formation against Israel in that 2nd half and we were a different team.  Also I think Nisbet mat be out but other than that we need to win and we need goals do we need to play the 3 central defenders against Moldova? I don't think so. 

31 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Gordon
            Gilmour   McGregor
                     Nisbet

Tierney looks low on confidence so I'd take him out for this game. We need goals so I'd be telling both full backs to overlap Christie & Fraser who can both cut inside and just make sure Nisbet & McGinn get good service.

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Gordon
            Gilmour   McGregor
                     Nisbet

I'd have McGregor no where near the starting 11...he is the invisible man 

2 hours ago, csinclair said:

Gordon
            Gilmour   McGregor
                     Nisbet

Paterson and McGinn won’t be available 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I like where your head is at, didn't we play this formation against Israel in that 2nd half and we were a different team.  Also I think Nisbet mat be out but other than that we need to win and we need goals do we need to play the 3 central defenders against Moldova? I don't think so. 

He should have a look at the video of that and the wins against Albania and Israel.

Now I think about it what did McLeish do wrong apart from the defeat in Kazahkstan were Patterson and Fraser didn't want to play on a plastic pitch and our captain had toothache.

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fairly sure they are back for this or wouldn’t be in the squad. 

Patterson played for Rangers a week ago, he was then identified as a close contact.  It’ll depend exactly when that happened but he should do 10 days isolation from the time of contact.

McGinn, it’ll depend on the exact date again, but he tested positive and needs to do 10 days from when he tested positive.  He might *just* be available for Saturday.

Both look like that was the middle of last week, so the match on Saturday might be too early.  They should both be available for the Austria game though. 

I like much of romanticscot's team, but with a few tweaks, provided all are available.

Gordon

Patterson Hendry Cooper Robertson

Gilmour Tierney

Forrest McGinn Fraser

Nisbet

I like Hendry, especially his tendency to stride forward and join the attack. I am not convinced by Cooper as he is hardly dominant, but less prone to hoofing than Hanley and McKenna. Long balls by Gordon and central defenders immediately cheaply concedes possession, and needs to stop. By his own high standards Tierney had a poor game yesterday, but we need more bite in midfield. McGregor does some nice things in possession, but off the ball is constantly ball-watching and not marking or picking up runners which puts huge pressure on the rest of the midfield. Like ONeils40yarder I would have McGregor nowhere near the team, but Clarke always starts him and never subs him. If McGinn is unavailable I would play Turnbull for his attacking threat, even though he has a tendency to go missing if the going gets tough.

Against Austria I would play the same or similar team, abandoning a back 3, as it is a must win and we have to go for it. Unfortunately under Clarke it is not likely to happen.

58 minutes ago, aaid said:

Patterson played for Rangers a week ago, he was then identified as a close contact.  It’ll depend exactly when that happened but he should do 10 days isolation from the time of contact.

McGinn, it’ll depend on the exact date again, but he tested positive and needs to do 10 days from when he tested positive.  He might *just* be available for Saturday.

Both look like that was the middle of last week, so the match on Saturday might be too early.  They should both be available for the Austria game though. 

Both have been confirmed as being available for the game according to the BBC and other outlets.

I’m at the stage with Clarke that no matter what team he puts out, I will disagree with it.

We should not be playing 352 against Moldova at Hampden, especially with three cloggers at the back. If we had McTominay Clogger Tierney then I would maybe understand it as the fullbacks plus one of them would be able to push up constantly. 

If we go out and win 9-0, there are absolutely no positives, we are simply beating a far worse side. If we struggle to a 3-1 win, it’s the bare minimum, any worse than that and blah. 

5 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

I like much of romanticscot's team, but with a few tweaks, provided all are available.

Gordon

Patterson Hendry Cooper Robertson

Gilmour Tierney

Forrest McGinn Fraser

Nisbet

I like Hendry, especially his tendency to stride forward and join the attack. I am not convinced by Cooper as he is hardly dominant, but less prone to hoofing than Hanley and McKenna. Long balls by Gordon and central defenders immediately cheaply concedes possession, and needs to stop. By his own high standards Tierney had a poor game yesterday, but we need more bite in midfield. McGregor does some nice things in possession, but off the ball is constantly ball-watching and not marking or picking up runners which puts huge pressure on the rest of the midfield. Like ONeils40yarder I would have McGregor nowhere near the team, but Clarke always starts him and never subs him. If McGinn is unavailable I would play Turnbull for his attacking threat, even though he has a tendency to go missing if the going gets tough.

Against Austria I would play the same or similar team, abandoning a back 3, as it is a must win and we have to go for it. Unfortunately under Clarke it is not likely to happen.

For some reason Ive noticed more of the defender pass back to keeper when run out of ideas ; launch forward then invariably lose possession…during the euros - maybe its always been like that though? But painful to watch

8 hours ago, kumnio said:

I’m at the stage with Clarke that no matter what team he puts out, I will disagree with it.

We should not be playing 352 against Moldova at Hampden, especially with three cloggers at the back. If we had McTominay Clogger Tierney then I would maybe understand it as the fullbacks plus one of them would be able to push up constantly. 

If we go out and win 9-0, there are absolutely no positives, we are simply beating a far worse side. If we struggle to a 3-1 win, it’s the bare minimum, any worse than that and blah. 

I think a lot of us think the same. 

352 with Stephen O’Donnell as you’re attacking wing back vs a minnow is laughable. 

Time to ditch 3-5-2 for good. We now know for sure that we don’t score enough goals with this system. So many of our passes are square passes between 2 out of the 3 central defenders. Give Gilmour more options and outlets by getting an extra body up the park. Play Tierney ahead of Robertson on the left which still keeps our 2 excellent left backs in tandem in the team.

Time to change.

Prepare for an underwhelming performance if anyone is demanding a cricket score. Best we can hope for is to blitz Moldova in the first half like Denmark did to us. Then if we’re good enough to get in a similar position we’ll likely play out the game and conserve energy for a big game on Tuesday. 

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Was thinking of taking the wee lass to her first game but following the first half vs Denmark, and it looks like the ground will be half empty, think I'd rather watch Tony Hawks playing them at tennis.  

Looking like a good crowd.

Apart from the south Upper, its looking pretty full.

Some of those red sections only have 1 single ticket available 

Screenshot_20210903-101841_Samsung Internet.jpg

Great news on crowd ...

The 3-5-2 is most effective when we have Tierney / McTominay to play out from the back. Long balls from back mean lost possesion, tired players and ultimately mistakes.

Gilmour made a huge difference against England as suddenly the defence and other midfielders (McGregor etc) had an easy outlet allowing us to play up park and retain possession. Gilmour also potentially frees up McGinn to play further up park : which again made a difference against England. The system worked and we actually played football.

This is exactly what we need to replicate in all our matches.

13 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

Great news on crowd ...

The 3-5-2 is most effective when we have Tierney / McTominay to play out from the back. Long balls from back mean lost possesion, tired players and ultimately mistakes.

Gilmour made a huge difference against England as suddenly the defence and other midfielders (McGregor etc) had an easy outlet allowing us to play up park and retain possession. Gilmour also potentially frees up McGinn to play further up park : which again made a difference against England. The system worked and we actually played football.

This is exactly what we need to replicate in all our matches.

Spot on. Its not the system thats the problem or the solutions. Players make a system work or not.

Tierney and McTom as perfect for 532 as they are comfortable on the ball, can pass it into midfield and will take the ball from the GK. Meaning our midfield dont need to come and get it. That leaves 1 CB role to just win headers and tackles. I think Hendry could do the role as RCB and to a slightly lesser extent Cooper at LCB.

If those players arent available id switch to 4 at the back and have 2 holding mids sitting right infront of defence. Key to that would be having 4 attacking players in front of that. By attacking I mean players like Christie, Fraser, Turnbull etc. Not McGreggor / Fleck.