David Moyes - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Moyes

Arbroath1320

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

A young manager who understands modern tactics & plays youth the same as every other nation instead please. 

I'm not advocating for Moyes but Mancini is only 18 months younger than he is and he just won the European Championships.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

When the time comes for us to change manager I hope Callum Davidson will be ready. But right now at this moment there is no one available who is both good enough and would want it.

This is why I can't understand those calling for Clarke's head. I don't think there's anyone out there who'd both do better and want it

44 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm not advocating for Moyes but Mancini is only 18 months younger than he is and he just won the European Championships.

Moyes also got West Ham into Europe, which suggests he has a reasonable grasp of "modern tactics".

40 minutes ago, csinclair said:

This is why I can't understand those calling for Clarke's head. I don't think there's anyone out there who'd both do better and want it

This idea that we'd attract some young, dynamic, shit-hot manager at the peak of his career is for the birds.

Aside from the fact the SFA pay washers compared to what many clubs can offer, international managers tend to come in four categories: inexperienced managers in their first job, often an ex-star player (e.g. Klinsmann or Shevchenko); a jobbing manager overlooked for decent club jobs looking to boost his profile; a coach already on a football association's payroll promoted into the position; or an older manager towards the end of his career who's grown tired of club football.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Moyes also got West Ham into Europe, which suggests he has a reasonable grasp of "modern tactics".

This idea that we'd attract some young, dynamic, shit-hot manager at the peak of his career is for the birds.

Aside from the fact the SFA pay washers compared to what many clubs can offer, international managers tend to come in four categories: inexperienced managers in their first job, often an ex-star player (e.g. Klinsmann or Shevchenko); a jobbing manager overlooked for decent club jobs looking to boost his profile; a coach already on a football association's payroll promoted into the position; or an older manager towards the end of his career who's grown tired of club football.

Nobody thinks we will get a Gerrard or Lampard.

We just want someone who won’t manage us the way we were managed during these Euros, which was very poorly. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

We just want someone who won’t manage us the way we were managed during these Euros, which was very poorly

I didn't read or post much here about our matches as i was either too nervous or intoxicated ha. 

Agree totally with you though, like i say i don't know what's been said here but I'm sure plenty of us where  pretty angry at Clarkes failure against Croatia to change the system when it was blatantly obvious after their opening goal we where getting overrun. 

England had the same problem 2nd half last night but Southgate recognised it & changed to 433 which helped them stop the Italian domination, thankfully it wasn't enough but they where much more competitive during the latter stages & extra time. 

The Croatia performance reminded me of the most recent Israel away performance, Israel had too much space in midfield first half & scored as a consequence but Clarke changed to 433 at half time & we controlled the 2nd half. We'll never know if the same change may have worked against a team much superior than Israel but the fact Clarke didn't seem to have the tactical awareness to try worries me going forward. 

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

We just want someone who won’t manage us the way we were managed during these Euros, which was very poorly. 

I don't know about that, I've seen apparently serious posts on here in the past suggesting we try and get guys like Andre Villas-Boas, Brendan Rodgers and Thomas Tuchel.

2 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I didn't read or post much here about our matches as i was either too nervous or intoxicated ha. 

Agree totally with you though, like i say i don't know what's been said here but I'm sure plenty of us where  pretty angry at Clarkes failure against Croatia to change the system when it was blatantly obvious after their opening goal we where getting overrun. 

England had the same problem 2nd half last night but Southgate recognised it & changed to 433 which helped them stop the Italian domination, thankfully it wasn't enough but they where much more competitive during the latter stages & extra time. 

The Croatia performance reminded me of the most recent Israel away performance, Israel had too much space in midfield first half & scored as a consequence but Clarke changed to 433 at half time & we controlled the 2nd half. We'll never know if the same change may have worked against a team much superior than Israel but the fact Clarke didn't seem to have the tactical awareness to try worries me going forward. 

Only Clarke knows for certain what he was thinking but I would guess that since we'd got the game back on an even keel he'd stick with plan A for a while longer.  Had we gone in 1-0 down I suspect he might have changed the formation, like he did against Israel.  Maybe he should have changed it anyway, it's easy to be wise in hindsight, but I can understand why he didn't.

I didn't particularly like the way we played against Croatia or the Czechs, I'd have much rather we tried to play through midfield like we did against England, but even so we still created chances; the trouble was we didn't take them.  Tactics won't score you a goal, they'll just put you in a position to score a goal.  You still need someone out there capable of carrying out the crucial final part. 

The fact is we didn't defend cross balls into the box properly and we didn't take our chances at the other end.  That's why lost those games, not tactics.

Given how undesirable the job has been in recent years I think its nice that moyes wants to manage scotland albeit near end of his managerial career. Moyes would be a pretty good choice for us given his career achievements and his recent good performance of west ham. Doubt he will want the job til after his west ham stint but if he's available at that point and we need a manager then he would defo be a front runner for the job. 

If Clarke had changed formation after we just got the game back to 1 each and then we went on to lose 3-1 the exact same ppl would hound him for that.

Hindsight is easy in football as you "cant be wrong". 

Clarke has done alot of things right as Scotland manager. He has found a formation that suits the players, he has a group of players who look like they enjoy playing for him and he has got us to a major finals.

Has he made mistakes? Yes. However we have to give him time to build.

Personally id give him until we are out of the next Euro running. 

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If Clarke had changed formation after we just got the game back to 1 each and then we went on to lose 3-1 the exact same ppl would hound him for that.

Hindsight is easy in football as you "cant be wrong". 

Clarke has done alot of things right as Scotland manager. He has found a formation that suits the players, he has a group of players who look like they enjoy playing for him and he has got us to a major finals.

Has he made mistakes? Yes. However we have to give him time to build.

Personally id give him until we are out of the next Euro running. 

Yeh I am happy with Clarke, he's done reasonably well albeit the tournament could of gone a bit better. Moyes would be a good option down the line. I think Clarke will stay on to the end of the wc qualifiers and maybe even the next euros. This would be good imo as it would mean some consistency over the next few years. Obviously this all depends on our performance in the wc qualifiers. 

Ive also got no problem with a manager not wanting to do international management until later in their career. Id rather that than a manager who gets itchy feet and jumps ship at the first sign of a decent club job.

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

No he hasn’t.

It's rarely used these days but I think a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond would suit the players we have. McGregor in the CDM pivot, Mctominay as the B2B RCM, Gilmour as the midfield controller at LCM and McGinn as the high energy attacking mid. This could also keep the striking partnership of Adams and Dykes that Clarke loved.

Our biggest strength is central midfield, so why not play to it.

13 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It's rarely used these days but I think a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond would suit the players we have. McGregor in the CDM pivot, Mctominay as the B2B RCM, Gilmour as the midfield controller at LCM and McGinn as the high energy attacking mid. This could also keep the striking partnership of Adams and Dykes that Clarke loved.

How do you fit Robertson and Tierney into that?

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I would have Tierney as your B2B LCM and Gilmour as the CDM to dictate play and move us up the pitch.