It’s Coming Home - General Euro 2020 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It’s Coming Home

duncan II

OK, the phrase is ubiquitous in the clamour to show support for England. But I’m not entirely sure what it means. I know it’s a song from 1996, Baddiel and Skinner, but what actually is the underlying message? Do they mean “home” as in they see major trophies rightfully being theirs? If so, that’s a bit deluded. If, on the other hand, it’s a reference to the belief that they invented football, then I suppose they have a point. I’m sure the modern game was codified there. It’s a bit insulting, is it not, though, that that’s only part of the story. The laws may have been set down there, but Scots played as much a part of it as they did. Arguably the game developed earlier in Scotland. Is it just another example of things originating in these islands being wrongly attributed solely to England? Wonder why we don’t challenge this more.

It’s just a song, no need for me to get worked up, I know. 🤐

21 minutes ago, duncan II said:

OK, the phrase is ubiquitous in the clamour to show support for England. But I’m not entirely sure what it means. I know it’s a song from 1996, Baddiel and Skinner, but what actually is the underlying message? Do they mean “home” as in they see major trophies rightfully being theirs? If so, that’s a bit deluded. If, on the other hand, it’s a reference to the belief that they invented football, then I suppose they have a point. I’m sure the modern game was codified there. It’s a bit insulting, is it not, though, that that’s only part of the story. The laws may have been set down there, but Scots played as much a part of it as they did. Arguably the game developed earlier in Scotland. Is it just another example of things originating in these islands being wrongly attributed solely to England? Wonder why we don’t challenge this more.

It’s just a song, no need for me to get worked up, I know. 🤐

Seems there's a guy Ged O'Brien who's beeing arguing why Scotland have the better calim to having einvented the modern game.

2 minutes ago, duncan II said:

That covers exactly what I was meaning. Thanks!

Another article here:

Is football 'coming home'? No – because Scotland invented the modern game

A conclusion could be that Scotland at least has a claim, depending how you define "inventing the modern game." If you choose a criterion that would give it to England, then it's England's. But it must have been played in different forms for crnturies beforehand....

Edited by exile

The Foot-ball Club, from Edinburgh, wrote down the rules of football in 1833, which I believe was around 30 years before the FA was founded.  Ok, the rules are not the same as the FA set down, but the rules now are not the same as the FA set down back then.  In my opinion, nobody invented football, so long as there has been a cabbage, potato, rock...people would have been kicking them between things.  

https://www.scottishsporthistory.com/sports-history-news-and-blog/playing-the-game-in-1833-the-worlds-earliest-known-rules-of-football