Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Turnbull very poor… not sure he should make the squad now. Better options in that position 

He was getting pelters on Twitter yesterday evening.

Mind you, just a few months back Steve Clarke was getting pelters on Twitter for not picking him for the World Cup qualifiers, because he'd left out the best player in the country, apparently. 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, scotlad said:

He was getting pelters on Twitter yesterday evening.

Mind you, just a few months back Steve Clarke was getting pelters on Twitter for not picking him for the World Cup qualifiers, because he'd left out the best player in the country, apparently. 🤷‍♂️

I think it’s somewhere in between the two.  Think he is on fringes of the squad.  On form he should be a squad player, off form he probably drops out. It’s one of the most competitive areas of our team.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I think it’s somewhere in between the two.  Think he is on fringes of the squad.  On form he should be a squad player, off form he probably drops out. It’s one of the most competitive areas of our team.

To be fair, he made the Euros squad on merit. His stats last season were excellent. He was top of the table for assists and chances created, and his goalscoring record for a midfielder was very good too. Now we've got muppets saying he's not the player we all thought he was! :lol:

It sounds like he's having a dip in form though, and he's unlucky that he plays in the most competitive position in the squad. Hopefully he will turn it around soon.

21 minutes ago, scotlad said:

To be fair, he made the Euros squad on merit. His stats last season were excellent. He was top of the table for assists and chances created, and his goalscoring record for a midfielder was very good too. Now we've got muppets saying he's not the player we all thought he was! :lol:

It sounds like he's having a dip in form though, and he's unlucky that he plays in the most competitive position in the squad. Hopefully he will turn it around soon.

Football fans, and maybe even more so Celtic fans, are incredibly fickle. Turnbull has won YPOTY 2 years in a row. That doesn't happen by accident. He is a quality player. Don't listen to moronic Celtic fans writing him off after 1 bad game. Plus, he wasn't even that bad. The entire team were awful. He looks like he is just lacking sharpness. They'll be back praising him when he rifles in a goal in the next week or so.

7 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Football fans, and maybe even more so Celtic fans, are incredibly fickle. Turnbull has won YPOTY 2 years in a row. That doesn't happen by accident. He is a quality player. Don't listen to moronic Celtic fans writing him off after 1 bad game. Plus, he wasn't even that bad. The entire team were awful. He looks like he is just lacking sharpness. They'll be back praising him when he rifles in a goal in the next week or so.

Yeh thats all true but I reckon turnbull might struggle a bit this season as celtic look absolutely dire these days. Going to be tough for him to shine as much in such a poor team. 

4 hours ago, bigfingers said:

John Souttar looked decent from what I saw and still only 24.

Keep your eye on him. Right sided centre back has been a problem for us for while now; if we continue to play three at the back then he is the one to challenge Hendry for that slot. Just needs to stay free of injury.

36 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh thats all true but I reckon turnbull might struggle a bit this season as celtic look absolutely dire these days. Going to be tough for him to shine as much in such a poor team. 

He shone in an awful Celtic team last year. However, he had the incentive of having to prove himself then. This year, he doesn't really have that burden. I hope he doesn't feel like he can slack off, the way most Celtic players did last year.

Put a quality striker in front of him and I'm certain he'll start racking up assists.

9 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

He shone in an awful Celtic team last year. However, he had the incentive of having to prove himself then. This year, he doesn't really have that burden. I hope he doesn't feel like he can slack off, the way most Celtic players did last year.

Put a quality striker in front of him and I'm certain he'll start racking up assists.

Striker is the position Celtic are closest to having quality in.

Turnbull has played three games this season, no disrespect to anyone saying he had a poor game yesterday or hasn't played well so far this season, but it's 3 games FFS.

As you said, you don't win YPOTY 2 years running to get written off after 3 games.

48 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Striker is the position Celtic are closest to having quality in.

Turnbull has played three games this season, no disrespect to anyone saying he had a poor game yesterday or hasn't played well so far this season, but it's 3 games FFS.

As you said, you don't win YPOTY 2 years running to get written off after 3 games.

What do you mean by "closest"? Griff is almost certainly out of the picture, Edouard is incredibly overrated and halfway out the door, and Ajeti has shown nothing to prove he is good enough. I'm actually hoping they sign Nisbet, because I think he'd dovetail well with Turnbull.

If handled properly, Turnbull will end up with a 3rd YPOTY award (if he's still eligible).

12 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

What do you mean by "closest"? Griff is almost certainly out of the picture, Edouard is incredibly overrated and halfway out the door, and Ajeti has shown nothing to prove he is good enough. I'm actually hoping they sign Nisbet, because I think he'd dovetail well with Turnbull.

If handled properly, Turnbull will end up with a 3rd YPOTY award (if he's still eligible).

Meant just Edourard. I would say he is close enough to being quality compared with the rest of the Celtic team.

Certainly good enough by far for the SPFL and will score goals with the help of Turnbull. One thing for sure is that he is better than Nisbet.

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Leeds, Arsenal and Watford in for him apparently. Arsenal would be a terrible move - he would have Tierney and Saka ahead of him for starters.

and Tavares as well who they signed as a backup for Tierney already this summer

Turnbull is a good prospect. As somebody said, if in form he deserves a place in squad but if not you probably wouodnt take him.

Maybe its just me but ive never seen him hit a good set piece and thats the thing most people rave about him.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Meant just Edourard. I would say he is close enough to being quality compared with the rest of the Celtic team.

Certainly good enough by far for the SPFL and will score goals with the help of Turnbull. One thing for sure is that he is better than Nisbet.

I mean, he might be better at keepy uppies or Teqbal, but his ability to get on the end of crosses or actually put the ball in the net under pressure is atrocious. Turnbull has  already provided him with plenty of chances that he failed to finish. Edouard wouldn't get into double figures at Hibs. Nisbet would score 25+ at Celtic.

Anyway, I don't want to debate non-Scottish Celtic players. All I'm saying is, I think Nisbet and Turnbull would work well together. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Jack Mackenzie given the who scored MOM for Aberdeen today, good to see a promising young left back coming through.

Good to see he's a Mac rather than an Mc too, personal hate of mine, reminds me of the clearances.

I would've given the MOM to Ramsay and I thought Hayes and ramirez were after ramsay

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Leeds, Arsenal and Watford in for him apparently. Arsenal would be a terrible move - he would have Tierney and Saka ahead of him for starters.

West Ham too, so I read somewhere.

With the exception of Arsenal, any of those clubs would be a decent move.

12 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

My worry is that Turnbull doesn't 1. Have the tenacity to fit into Postecoglou's system and 2. There are no strikers at Celtic good enough for him to assist.

His chance creation stats from last season prove he is one of the most creative players Scotland has, but his teammates couldn't score them. 

His chance creation stat got massively buffed due to taking every set piece and corner. I'm not playing that down btw as being very good at set pieces is a valuable skill set and one Scotland are missing. I would have him in squad for that alone. We are honking at set piece delivery.

The problem has been when people see this stat, they think it has been through open play alone and he is creating 4/5 chances in open play in 60/70 minutes a game. It has lead to Turnbull being a bit overhyped. 

I'm not saying Turnbull is poor or anything. He is a very promising Scottish midfielder, who is one of the best CM's in the league. He has wonderful technique, a fantastic passing range and a good long range shot him. He has aspects he has to work on like his athleticism and fitness but this will hopefully come as he continues to develop.

I do agree on your point that I don't think he will suit Ange's style as just isn't that type of player. If you're getting a guy who's game isn't about running about like mad and closing down constantly, then he is going to be knackered quickly and the things he is good at will take a dip as he won't have the same energy levels to do them.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart