Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 46 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Oh come on. When did Rangers last "snap up all the best talent in the league"? 12 years ago? Scott Wright is the only talent Rangers have bought lately and (so far) wasted . Even if the argument that Rangers can't afford the best SPFL talent was true, they are still able to develop and play youth. Patterson is one of the best young talents to come out of their academy in a decade and he barely plays and, if rumours are to be believed, might be sold. 

Gilmour, who spent 4 years at the performance schools and then left 30 seconds after turning 16. Thanks, Rangers.

While I'm disapoointed that Rangers haven't produced more talent from their ranks, they are no more obligated than any other side to provide players for the national team. You don't hear the same argument about Chelsea or Man City and England; difference is they are proof of the argument that cream rises to the top. Rangers couldn't compete with what Chelsea were offering Gilmour and as for Patterson - same problem Clarke has with Tierney/Robertson. Better direct your ire against the Livis and RossCo's who keep importing League One and Two Joe Averages instead of giving Scottish youth a chance.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Oh come on. When did Rangers last "snap up all the best talent in the league"? 12 years ago? Scott Wright is the only talent Rangers have bought lately and (so far) wasted . Even if the argument that Rangers can't afford the best SPFL talent was true, they are still able to develop and play youth. Patterson is one of the best young talents to come out of their academy in a decade and he barely plays and, if rumours are to be believed, might be sold. 

Gilmour, who spent 4 years at the performance schools and then left 30 seconds after turning 16. Thanks, Rangers.

This is all a bit mental. 

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

While I'm disapoointed that Rangers haven't produced more talent from their ranks, they are no more obligated than any other side to provide players for the national team. You don't hear the same argument about Chelsea or Man City and England; difference is they are proof of the argument that cream rises to the top. Rangers couldn't compete with what Chelsea were offering Gilmour and as for Patterson - same problem Clarke has with Tierney/Robertson. Better direct your ire against the Livis and RossCo's who keep importing League One and Two Joe Averages instead of giving Scottish youth a chance.

Bang on. 

Between McGregor, Patterson & Jack when he’s back Rangers will probably field as many or possibly even more Scottish players than some of the mid table-relegation fodder sides like Aberdeen, Livingston & Ross County this season. 

27 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Bang on. 

Between McGregor, Patterson & Jack when he’s back Rangers will probably field as many or possibly even more Scottish players than some of the mid table-relegation fodder sides like Aberdeen, Livingston & Ross County this season. 

Those teams you mentioned usually start 5 or 6 scottish players. 

Not that it bothers me whether rangers start Scottish players or not. 

12 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

So just to clarify you’re saying Rangers developing a generational talent who signed for one of the best teams in the world is a negative?

Very good.

11 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Rangers have provided a huge amount of players between 17’s to 21’s just now, with probably the best players of all the clubs in Scotland.

Id expect a different outlook in 5 years, Gilmour and Patterson are just the start.

21 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I'm not having a go as i would support all Scottish clubs in europe whether they field Scots or not though i don't agree that they can't afford young Scottish talent. 

Helander cost Rangers 3.5m, i can't believe Hearts would have turned down anywhere near that for Souttar. 

Rangers were quoted 5 million for Souttar.

I know it’s a tabloid but heard this was accurate at the time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-face-john-souttar-competition-14548896.amp

So they signed Helander instead.

2 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

So just to clarify you’re saying Rangers developing a generational talent who signed for one of the best teams in the world is a negative?

Very good.

You were right to ask for clarity because that's not what I was saying at all. Not even close. I've made my point already, so I'm not going to write it all out again. 

Clarity: Gilmour signing for Chelsea = positive. Rangers rarely playing Scots = negative.

9 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Rangers were quoted 5 million for Souttar.

I know it’s a tabloid but heard this was accurate at the time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-face-john-souttar-competition-14548896.amp

So they signed Helander instead.

They are linked with getting Souttar on a free next summer too which would be a good signing. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

It might be a good thing if Norwich get hanmered today. It's more likely Gilmour will go back into their starting 11. (Currently losing 3 nil)

Well, you got your wish. So would be astonishing if Billy doesn't start next game. Will not be good for the confidence of Hanley or McLean though. Another alarming thought; several of that Chelsea team were their own academy players, so would Gilmour have started if he had stayed?

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Well, you got your wish. So would be astonishing if Billy doesn't start next game. Will not be good for the confidence of Hanley or McLean though. Another alarming thought; several of that Chelsea team were their own academy players, so would Gilmour have started if he had stayed?

Yeah, not ideal for Hanley especially. I am a fan of McLean, but it's slightly less critical for him since he is not the future of the Scotland midfield. Great squad player and reliable whenever called upon, but he won't be a starter for the next 10 years, the way Gilmour will be. So it's preferable for McLean to take the confidence hit over Gilmour.

I do wonder how much Gilmour would have played for Chelsea. Based on what Tuchel has said, he didn't seem to want him to go on loan.