Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22


loanhead-tartan
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

8 starting tonight not sure this is great news for our coefficient.

Long time since that many Scots started for Celtic in Europe in fact doubt if any of our clubs have since the 3 foreigner rule got binned.

And unfortunately it sounds like most of them aren't up to it.  🙈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, scotlad said:

And unfortunately it sounds like most of them aren't up to it.  🙈

I thought Ralston had a good game. He is quite limited but gave it his all and was probably Celtic's best player. From what I remember of Buta, that Celtic are trying to sign, he was quick and not much else. Ralston might get more chances as the season goes on.

Murray and Welsh did decent considering their age and experience. Welsh will probably be first choice alongside Starvelt, until Julien is fit.

Bain was fine and is good with the ball at his feet. Will probably be replaced by Hart or whichever keeper they sign.

Taylor was poor and I'd be worried if I was a Celtic fan, as it looks like he will be first choice.

McGregor looked decent and scored a fabulous goal.

Turnbull played some nice passes in the first half but quickly tired in the second half. How he was kept on until the second half of extra time is beyond me. He was finished at 65/70 minutes.

Christie had a bit if dig and a decent first half but faded in the second.

Forrest came on and changed the game in Celtic's favour but had 2 big misses one of which completely changed the game.

 

Most of them will probably be involved with Celtic going forward this season. Ralston, Bain, Murray as backups. Taylor, Welsh, Turnbull, McGregor and Forrest will be first choice. I don't know what will happen with Christie as he doesn't have long on his deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Greg Taylor at fault for the goal. Don’t think he is international class at all, would happily see Doig take his place IMO. 

If he hadn't played under Clarke previously I doubt he'd be anywhere near the squad. He like O'Donnell is a trusted and known entity.

From everything we have heard Clarke likes 11 Vs 11 games. Taylor is there to make up the numbers, so we have 2 teams for the game's, as Tierney plays LCB in the first team.

I've said it for a while if you are going to take a player just to make up the numbers, then why not take a younger player who would benefit from it longterm. Give Doig or Hickey, Taylor's squad place and give them the experience of training and playing against better players in these training games.

It massively helped Robertson, McGinn, etc when they got brought in for similar exercises

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

If he hadn't played under Clarke previously I doubt he'd be anywhere near the squad. He like O'Donnell is a trusted and known entity.

From everything we have heard Clarke likes 11 Vs 11 games. Taylor is there to make up the numbers, so we have 2 teams for the game's, as Tierney plays LCB in the first team.

I've said it for a while if you are going to take a player just to make up the numbers, then why not take a younger player who would benefit from it longterm. Give Doig or Hickey, Taylor's squad place and give them the experience of training and playing against better players in these training games.

It massively helped Robertson, McGinn, etc when they got brought in for similar exercises

Only a blind man would make up the squad in that way without giving the spare spots to players who can play in more than one position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, scotlad said:

And unfortunately it sounds like most of them aren't up to it.  🙈


i think that’s about the size of it.  A couple of fringe players for us, but none of the current Celtic team would get a start in my first 11 just now.  They are just not good enough.  Mcgregor and turnbull decent enough but we have four better midfielders.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Hibs asking for £5million for Doig but Arsenal & West Ham only willing to pay £2.5m.

I think that's a fair asking price from Hibs in today's market

Hibs are entitled to ask for whatever they want but if I was his agent id be asking for a huge wage rise to represent his worth in the morning. You cant value a player at 5 million and pay him youth team wages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

…and if I were hibs I’d be saying absolutely, when your current contract expires.

Yeah he's still got another 2 years so they'll be sitting comfortably.

Also just realised I meant to post in the transfers thread not this one.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Hibs are entitled to ask for whatever they want but if I was his agent id be asking for a huge wage rise to represent his worth in the morning. You cant value a player at 5 million and pay him youth team wages.

Exactly. I think it’s a pretty unrealistic sum for Hibs to ask for given he’s probably on about 1K a week

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Exactly. I think it’s a pretty unrealistic sum for Hibs to ask for given he’s probably on about 1K a week

I dont think its an unrealistic sum to ask for. My point is that Hibs (or any team) cant have it both ways. If you value a player at 5 million pound then you can pay him the same as players valued at 100k.

2 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

…and if I were hibs I’d be saying absolutely, when your current contract expires.

And the player would equally be entitled to not perform at the level he has been. Ie the level of a 5 million pound player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Hibs are entitled to ask for whatever they want but if I was his agent id be asking for a huge wage rise to represent his worth in the morning. You cant value a player at 5 million and pay him youth team wages.

He renewed his contract towards the end of last season, he won’t be walking away with 3-4K every week but the youth wages are long gone 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I dont think its an unrealistic sum to ask for. My point is that Hibs (or any team) cant have it both ways. If you value a player at 5 million pound then you can pay him the same as players valued at 100k.

And the player would equally be entitled to not perform at the level he has been. Ie the level of a 5 million pound player. 

Equally if Doig is on 1K a week and an EPL team will offer him 20K a week then he’s within his right to be asking for an exit if Hibs value him as the most expensive teenager in Scottish football history yet want to pay him the same wage youd get for playing for the old firms B teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Calvin Ramsay getting rave reviews from dons fans last night. Only 17 and a right back thankfully. 

Aye he’s a cracking young player, takes the best corners seen by an Aberdeen player for years 🇩🇰🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍. Another young fullback McKenzie been getting some game time looks good as well, why didn’t Mcinnes play them 🤯 it’s like a breath of fresh air playing attacking football & giving young players a chance 👏👏👏

Edited by RDFH64
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Aye he’s a cracking young player, takes the best corners seen by an Aberdeen player for years 🇩🇰🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍. Another young fullback McKenzie been getting some game time looks good as well, why didn’t Mcinnes play them 🤯 it’s like a breath of fresh air playing attacking football & giving young players a chance 👏👏👏

Ye it’s a no brainer trying out the kids. Means you don’t have to fork out for any full backs now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Aye he’s a cracking young player, takes the best corners seen by an Aberdeen player for years 🇩🇰🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍. Another young fullback McKenzie been getting some game time looks good as well, why didn’t Mcinnes play them 🤯 it’s like a breath of fresh air playing attacking football & giving young players a chance 👏👏👏

I'm not defending McInnes, in general, but if Ramsay is 17, then he was 16 when McInnes was there. It's not exactly normal to be handing out debuts to 16 year olds. And most of the time it is a bad idea. 

But he does look class. Hopefully we'll soon be debating whether it should be Ramsay or Patterson starting, rather than debating Palmer or O'Donnell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 4:58 PM, Diamond Scot said:
On 7/29/2021 at 8:03 PM, Diamond Scot said:

And the player would equally be entitled to not perform at the level he has been. Ie the level of a 5 million pound player. 

Catch 22 isn’t it, if he doesn’t continue to perform at the level of a 5 million player then he won’t get a 5 million player move at the end of his contract. 

someone will come up with the cash because £5m is a reasonable ask for Doig, so Hibs are taking the right approach IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Catch 22 isn’t it, if he doesn’t continue to perform at the level of a 5 million player then he won’t get a 5 million player move at the end of his contract. 

someone will come up with the cash because £5m is a reasonable ask for Doig, so Hibs are taking the right approach IMO.

I agree. Hibs shouldnt be pressured into accepting a fee they dont think is fair.

All im highlighting is that the approach should also come with the recognition of the player and what he is worth to the club.

5 million isnt even alot to EPL sides. He wouldnt be going anywhere near their first teams straight away so I wouldnt be surprised with a deal like 3.5 million, sell on clause and a years loan back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I agree. Hibs shouldnt be pressured into accepting a fee they dont think is fair.

All im highlighting is that the approach should also come with the recognition of the player and what he is worth to the club.

5 million isnt even alot to EPL sides. He wouldnt be going anywhere near their first teams straight away so I wouldnt be surprised with a deal like 3.5 million, sell on clause and a years loan back.

I’m aware it’s the football manager view of transfer fees, but I’m all about the sell-on clause. We have to be realistic about the fees Scottish players will attract, but also smart about the fees they will attract even if only moderately successful in England. Someone like Doig might move for £20m+ if he has a good season or two down there. Hibs should be looking to double their money from that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...