Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22


loanhead-tartan
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Celtic getting a bit of a tanking off West Ham today. Youngsters Murray and Welsh in defence.

Murray is 18 and no where near ready to be facing that kind of opposition. Ability-wise, he is fine, but this was, what, his 4th game? Especially with virtually no experienced players around him. I hope it doesn't wreck his confidence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Murray is 18 and no where near ready to be facing that kind of opposition. Ability-wise, he is fine, but this was, what, his 4th game? Especially with virtually no experienced players around him. I hope it doesn't wreck his confidence.

It's only his second senior game, I think, but I could be wrong.

Aye, you can't be too critical of him, he and Welsh - who isn't exactly experienced himself - were up against a 30-year-old seasoned professional from the EPL, they were bound to be up against it.

If Celtic don't sign some experienced guys this season though they're going to struggle to get second, never mind win the title.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Apparently Patterson, Wright and Kelly played really well for Rangers today. 

Kelly was probably MOTM. It's looking like he will be a part of our 25 man squad next season. I hope so anyway. A very technically gifted player who has improved massively in the defensive side of his game.

He spent a year as a CM/CDM under Hughes at County and he has massively improved in his defensive game. Before he just looked like a CAM playing out of position, now he looks much improved defensively and has started to read passing lanes well. Gets quite a few interceptions.

 

I doubt he makes the starting XI much but he will learn a lot shadowing Davis and playing 20-25 times this season. Then moving up to 30-40 games next season.

I've said it on multiple occasions he is very similar to the player Steven Davis has become. Calm and cool in possession with a nice killer ball.

Shadowing Davis for a year and playing 20-25 games, would probably be better than playing 40-45 games in League 1.

 

On Patterson, I think he will play a lot more than people are expecting. Probably 30-40 games. Rangers on average play about 60+ games a season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Kelly was probably MOTM. It's looking like he will be a part of our 25 man squad next season. I hope so anyway. A very technically gifted player who has improved massively in the defensive side of his game.

He spent a year as a CM/CDM under Hughes at County and he has massively improved in his defensive game. Before he just looked like a CAM playing out of position, now he looks much improved defensively and has started to read passing lanes well. Gets quite a few interceptions.

 

I doubt he makes the starting XI much but he will learn a lot shadowing Davis and playing 20-25 times this season. Then moving up to 30-40 games next season.

I've said it on multiple occasions he is very similar to the player Steven Davis has become. Calm and cool in possession with a nice killer ball.

Shadowing Davis for a year and playing 20-25 games, would probably be better than playing 40-45 games in League 1.

 

On Patterson, I think he will play a lot more than people are expecting. Probably 30-40 games. Rangers on average play about 60+ games a season.

I agree Kelly was excellent. I think he’ll be a first team player this season. Patterson was also very good. I hope Steve Clarke was watching and squirming in his seat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I agree Kelly was excellent. I think he’ll be a first team player this season. Patterson was also very good. I hope Steve Clarke was watching and squirming in his seat. 

Don't know why he would be squirming - he will soon have many more options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Wright having a very good game against Real Madrid. Giving Marcelo a very hard time.

 

Not a full strength Real Madrid but still quite strong with Isco, Marcelo, Vazquez, Jovic, Odegaard, Nacho etc

I can see Wright giving us an alternative to Fraser and Forrest; he just needs to add goals to his game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Malcolm said:


is Ryan jack still injured?  A massive lost for us for the Denmark game if he is.

He is just coming back to light training. I doubt he'll be anywhere near ready for September. Hopefully he'll be up to speed for the October games.

 

I think we found our midfield against England for the Denmark game. Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

He is just coming back to light training. I doubt he'll be anywhere near ready for September. Hopefully he'll be up to speed for the October games.

 

I think we found our midfield against England for the Denmark game. Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn.

I would prefer jack and gilmour holding, Mcginn and Mctominay supporting a lone striker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I can see Wright giving us an alternative to Fraser and Forrest; he just needs to add goals to his game.

Hopefully Wright keeps pushing on. He has took his chance and looked good in preseason. With Aribo, Roofe and Morelos probably out next weekend, he has a good chance to start the season positively and stake his claim for a place.

 

Miles away from a callup right now but if he establishes himself by October/November then who knows. We only really have Fraser and Forrest like you say for those wide areas when we want to change it and go 4-2-3-1. Christie and Armstrong can play there but it isn't their best position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I would prefer jack and gilmour holding, Mcginn and Mctominay supporting a lone striker

I said in another topic I think we have the players to go for a midfield diamond or a 3 CM with 1 CAM. Central midfield is our strongest area so why not play to it.

 

I'm normally an advocate to drop McGregor but I feel he compliments Gilmour well. The pair help us retain possession.

 

I'd like to see us try a cm of Jack (when fit), Gilmour, McGregor and then have McGinn playing off of Adams. 5 at the back with Mctominay at RCB. With McTominay I just feel he hasn't been great in our midfield when playing there and has been better at RCB for us.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, Third Lanark said:

Seven Scots now on for Celtic in the Euro qualifying tie.

8 starting tonight not sure this is great news for our coefficient.

Long time since that many Scots started for Celtic in Europe in fact doubt if any of our clubs have since the 3 foreigner rule got binned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

8 starting tonight not sure this is great news for our coefficient.

Long time since that many Scots started for Celtic in Europe in fact doubt if any of our clubs have since the 3 foreigner rule got binned.

It's nice to see alot of Scots starting for celtic but it's a hell of a pressure for Murray and Welsh at such a young age. Hopefully doesn't knock their confidence too much if they don't get the results the fans want. Also can't see ralston or Bain lasting  at celtic long term. Celtic already have a highly rated right back coming in from regular Royal antwerp and Bain isn't rated highly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...