Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 147 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

50 minutes ago, stocky said:

Iirc Stewart was in the last squad, for Poland and Austria.

He didn't get on 

But he was called up 

He will be in the squad tomorrow. And could play a part in one of the Armenia games 

Thanks, I overlooked that 👍 . I'd be happy to see both Brown and Stewart called up in the squad.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scot1
19 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

@Scot1 just shot his bolt

Why wouldn’t I be happy for him? 
He’s went from Junior football to scoring the winner to gain promotion in front of over 70,000 fans. He’s been called up to his national squad and may well get a cap in the near future. To me, that’s a great story and I’m happy for him, his family etc. 

And do you that all he needed was the opportunity to show what he could do. 

Guest Scot1
8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am not saying get him in the side but we must be realistic - outside of Adams, Dykes, Christie, Fraser and Brown there are no other contenders for a place in the squad.

Christie, Fraser are not going to “lead the line”, they’re not that type of player. Dykes can, Adams I’m still not sure about, his preferred position and natural role is playing off another striker who can “lead the line”. Brown, I’ve not seen enough of. Stewart can also “lead the line”. So that’s only really Dykes and Stewart (and perhaps Adams, Brown?)that, in my opinion can fulfil a certain role within the squad/team. At the very least he could be included as competition/cover for Dykes. 
But with the amount of games coming up in the next month, it wouldn’t surprise me if he gets time on the pitch at some point.

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Why wouldn’t I be happy for him? 
He’s went from Junior football to scoring the winner to gain promotion in front of over 70,000 fans. He’s been called up to his national squad and may well get a cap in the near future. To me, that’s a great story and I’m happy for him, his family etc. 

And do you that all he needed was the opportunity to show what he could do. 

Learn to take a joke min.

56 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hickey only played the last 20 minutes yesterday for Bologna, but again it was on the right hand side.

Looks like the Bologna coaching staff have confidence in him doing a job on either side of the pitch. 

Be awfully fine to have Hickey as RWB with Patterson out next month 

57 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hickey only played the last 20 minutes yesterday for Bologna, but again it was on the right hand side.

Looks like the Bologna coaching staff have confidence in him doing a job on either side of the pitch. 

Yes, that seems to be the case.

I suspect that this won't have gone unnoticed by Clarke and his team. And for the next few games he most likely won't start but be used as a 'utility sub' to be brought on wherever he is needed most, be that on the left or the right, in the latter part of games? (With instructions to defend or attack depending on the match situation?)

17 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sounds more like they are looking at it from an England fan viewpoint. Perhaps find Scottish Sunderland fans to ask. By that I mean England fans would mock the idea of a League One/Championship player representing them. But being realistic they have far better options than us up front hence why such a selection for them is a no no.

England fans under the age of 40, I'm guessing, because Bobby Robson called up Steve Bull of Wolves while he was still a third division player (he scored on his debut against us). In fact, he was deemed good enough to make their squad for the 1990 World Cup, alongside the likes of Peter Beardsley and Gary Lineker, and that side reached the semi-final. 

More recently, David Nugent was capped by England while he was playing for Preston North End in the Championship, and I think Andy Johnson and Ricky Lambert might also have been capped or at least called up to their squad while playing second tier club football.

England are now in a position where they have forwards playing regularly in the EPL (and in Tammy Abraham's case, Serie A) so barring an injury crisis they won't have to consider options outside their top flight, but the concept of them fielding non-top flight players isn't that outlandish.

16 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sunderland are the biggest side outside of the EPL and the supporters probably think they should have EPL class players all over the field.

Will be interesting to see how he does next year, but league 1 goals are pretty meaningless.

As you will have guessed I am a fan of stats sites and who scored have him as the third best player in the league, Best player there is 32 year old and 64 times capped Welshman Sam Vokes.

I just don't see how a player at 25 can suddenly become an international class striker, I'd sooner play someone up front out of position than risk a league 1 player.

Like who?

15 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Good post. I agree with you, certain players can look like the best finishers but it's sometimes because of the league they play in and the opposition. League 1 is miles off international football, especially the level scotland are about to play

Wales and Ukraine have world class footballers, its not wycombe

Wales still occasionally call up players from League One. Stewart's teammate, Nathan Broadhead, has been included in their squad, for instance.

15 hours ago, euan2020 said:

i only needed 1 to prove the point - not 2

+ he was working in a factory 

There is lots of examples - John Aldridge was still at Oxford @ 28 before LIverpool, and didnt debut for Ireland until 27  = @ 25 he was playing 3rd Division with Newport & Oxford  

Duncan Shearer was 29 before he came to a "Top TIier" Club and debut'd for Scotland @ 31 

sure John McGinlay is in there for discussion as well  - 25 he was at Elgin City and debut at 30  

Billy Dodds and Don Hutchison were another two who were both older than 25 when they were first capped and scored a decent number of goals between them.

Rangers vs Hearts in the cup final yesterday and outside Bassey the best players on the park were Scottish.

Gordon had a very good game and made a number of good saves.

Souttar was fantastic and I think he'll be first choice at Rangers next season. If he stays fit.

Jack scored a peach.

Wright came on, had a good game and scored the second.

McLaughlin didn't have anything to really do, so hard to judge his performance 

Halkett and Kingsley were solid and didn't really put a foot wrong

McKay didn't have his best game.

3 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Yes, that seems to be the case.

I suspect that this won't have gone unnoticed by Clarke and his team. And for the next few games he most likely won't start but be used as a 'utility sub' to be brought on wherever he is needed most, be that on the left or the right, in the latter part of games? (With instructions to defend or attack depending on the match situation?)

I’m expecting us to start someone playing RWB and having a great season in one of europes top 5 leagues over O’Donnell that’s for sure.

Could see Ralston getting game time too

Good to see leeds stayed up. Would of been a bummer to see both hanley and cooper going down to the championship especially as cooper seems to be doing well in the epl. 

Robertson with a goal and a champs league final to look forward to, what a season from him its been.

Jack hendry is back in the club brugge side who look like they will win the title after being massively behind earlier in the season.

Decent weekend overall for our defenders i would say.

42 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I’m expecting us to start someone playing RWB and having a great season in one of europes top 5 leagues over O’Donnell that’s for sure.

Could see Ralston getting game time too

You could well be right about Hickey starting. And we might well see Ralston over the next few games.
It's great that Clarke has good options on both the left and right.

Just a 'left-field thought' (literally left-field): does anyone think Hickey could play the 'attacking left central defender' role that Tierney plays for Scotland?  Could he develop the same understanding with Robertson that Tierney has when he plays that role? (I suspect that role might be too much to ask any young player to take on, but thought I'd put the question out there?)

Now that the season has ended its looking like we have 4 guys heading up to the epl who are likely to play regulary. Mckenna, cairney, dembele and christie. We have lost 2 the other way, hanley and mclean, gilmour will be off somewhere else, most likely another epl club imo.

Overall thats quite promising. We should have 13/14 guys who will be playing regulary in the epl next season. 

24 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Now that the season has ended its looking like we have 4 guys heading up to the epl who are likely to play regulary. Mckenna, cairney, dembele and christie. We have lost 2 the other way, hanley and mclean, gilmour will be off somewhere else, most likely another epl club imo.

Overall thats quite promising. We should have 13/14 guys who will be playing regulary in the epl next season. 

Add in a number of fringe EPL youngsters that will probably be kicking on next season if not better loans Anderson, Fiorini, Dire Mebude, Slicker, Ashby, Craigs and Mckinstry plus a few others. 

2 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Add in a number of fringe EPL youngsters that will probably be kicking on next season if not better loans Anderson, Fiorini, Dire Mebude, Slicker, Ashby, Craigs and Mckinstry plus a few others. 

Tbf i was just sticking with the guys we know will be playing epl. Most of those guys you have mentioned wont play regulary in the epl next season. Maybe anderson and ashby might get the odd appearance if they dont get loaned out but i still doubt they get much gametime.

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Good to see leeds stayed up. Would of been a bummer to see both hanley and cooper going down to the championship especially as cooper seems to be doing well in the epl. 

Robertson with a goal and a champs league final to look forward to, what a season from him its been.

Jack hendry is back in the club brugge side who look like they will win the title after being massively behind earlier in the season.

Decent weekend overall for our defenders i would say.

To what extent was cooper doing well at Leeds , they have been hopeless defensively.

Do we term doing well just simply getting a game 

Edited by DAVIDB46

45 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

To what extent was cooper doing well at Leeds , they have been hopeless defensively.

Do we term doing well just simply getting a game 

They were hopeless defensively when he was injured. As soon as cooper came back they picked up defensively and started getting results again. Check the leeds forums recently and they will all say how much they have missed cooper at the back. 

Not trying to say hes brilliant but its best that our centre backs are facing top class forwards every week and gain good experience. 

2 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Did he not have a colossal cock up yesterday that very nearly caused a goal?

Didn’t see it, just listened to bbc chat on it. 
…… agree by the way, cooper definite starter.

Yes. Cooper tried to play out from the back, heavy touch / pass and should have really conceeded. 

Ironically the type of thing ive been arguing to back up the inclusion of McTom in defence as not all footballers are created equal in terms of passing ability etc. 

Cooper by far and away the better defender but our style at the moment relies on Tierney and McTom offering more than the traditional defender either side of an old school defender.

On 5/22/2022 at 8:44 PM, mccaughey85 said:

I'll eat my hat if we ever see Cairney or S Dembele in a Scotland shirt

53 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I'll eat my hat if we ever see Cairney or S Dembele in a Scotland shirt

Well cairney has already been in a scotland shirt. I doubt he will ever get picked again but hes still a scottish player playing in the epl who could be called up if needed.

There is a small chance dembele could get called up in the future, if he impresses with Bournemouth in the epl then he could easily be in contention for a call up.