Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 144 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Scott Wright, Ryan Jack & Allan McGregor start the Europa league final. Alex Lowry, Jon McLaughlin, Robby McCrorie & Leon King on the bench. 

You'd think starting in a European final would be grounds for inclusion in the Scotland squad. I assume Jack will be chosen anyway, but maybe a chance Wright will get in as well.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

You'd think starting in a European final would be grounds for inclusion in the Scotland squad. I assume Jack will be chosen anyway, but maybe a chance Wright will get in as well.

Wright is the luckiest footballer alive. I've no idea how he's ended up playing in a European final. I cam.inly assume rangers have injuries 

He will probably end up scoring the winner now

Edited by vanderark14

39 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

There probably will be big media pressure on Clarke to pick Wright for the upcoming games.

39 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Wright is the luckiest footballer alive. I've no idea how he's ended up playing in a European final. I cam.inly assume rangers have injuries 

He will probably end up scoring the winner now

Aye, Roofe would definitely have started in Wright's place had he not only just come back from injury.

49 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Only way wright gets in if we are picking a larger than normal squad. 

11 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I would expect Wright to be in the squad announced on Monday to be honest. 

20 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Elliot Anderson is in the Scotland u21 squad. 

He was named in the March squad. The English media was then awash with reports about England moving for him and he suddenly withdrew from the U-21 squad and don't think it was injury-related. Make of that what you will.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He was named in the March squad. The English media was then awash with reports about England moving for him and he suddenly withdrew from the U-21 squad and don't think it was injury-related. Make of that what you will.

Aye. The commitment is still there to be seen.

I think his agent has probably told him that if he does switch back to us again then he has used up all his switches and would be ineligible for England.

If he withdraws from this squad, then that should be the end of our interest in him. We shouldn't go publicly chasing after players for months, like Levein did with Shelvey and Carroll.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I think his agent has probably told him that if he does switch back to us again then he has used up all his switches and would be ineligible for England.

If he withdraws from this squad, then that should be the end of our interest in him. We shouldn't go publicly chasing after players for months, like Levein did with Shelvey and Carroll.

I am good with whatever he decides given that his links to Scotland are far less tenuous than those of his to England.

27 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

With 5 games scheduled you’d expect a much bigger squad, 28-30 ish

Yes I'd say that was pretty spot on. I'd say there are maybe four places up for grabs with the following being in the squad for sure or at least likely:-

Gordon

Marshall

Kelly

Cooper

Hanley

Hendry

Hickey

McKenna

O'Donnell

Ralstan

Robertson

Taylor

Armstrong

Ferguson

Gilmour

Jack

McGinn

McGregor

McLean

McTominay

Adams

Brown

Dykes

Christie

Fraser

Turnbull

You could see it padded out with Tierney and Patterson in the chance one or both may be fit for the last Nations League match. Another whisper is that Clarke has been looking at Newcastle defender Matt Targett so you may see him included.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The fact he's been named suggests he is committed to Scotland, which is good news.

No Fiorini in the squad is slightly surprising though. Injured, possibly?  🤔

9 minutes ago, scotlad said:

The fact he's been named suggests he is committed to Scotland, which is good news.

That is good. Fingers crossed he does not pull out and plays a big part in the side. Big things being forecast for him by those in and around Newcastle United.

42 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I'd say that was pretty spot on. I'd say there are maybe four places up for grabs with the following being in the squad for sure or at least likely:-

Gordon

Marshall

Kelly

Cooper

Hanley

Hendry

Hickey

McKenna

O'Donnell

Ralstan

Robertson

Taylor

Armstrong

Ferguson

Gilmour

Jack

McGinn

McGregor

McLean

McTominay

Adams

Brown

Dykes

Christie

Fraser

Turnbull

You could see it padded out with Tierney and Patterson in the chance one or both may be fit for the last Nations League match. Another whisper is that Clarke has been looking at Newcastle defender Matt Targett so you may see him included.

Exceptional group of players. If all were fit we'd be looking so strong.

However, isn't Marshall still injured? It seems increasingly unlikely that Tierney or Patterson will make any games. Fraser came off the bench for Newcastle the other day, but I'm wondering if Clarke will omit him again since he won't be 100% anyway.

I think Souttar will probably be picked as well. Possibly Wright, too.

30 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Fiorini and Slicker shock call ups with larger squad.

2 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Fiorini and Slicker shock call ups with larger squad.

No Ramsay or Doig either. I'd be surprised if any of those 4 are in the full squad though.

Maybe Ramsay, at a push, since Patterson is almost certainly out. But I'd have thought Ralston, SOD and Hickey would be ample cover.

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Exceptional group of players. If all were fit we'd be looking so strong.

However, isn't Marshall still injured? It seems increasingly unlikely that Tierney or Patterson will make any games. Fraser came off the bench for Newcastle the other day, but I'm wondering if Clarke will omit him again since he won't be 100% anyway.

I think Souttar will probably be picked as well. Possibly Wright, too.

Rumour has it Marshall has signed for Hibs but yes it could just as easily be Zander Clark or Jon McLaughlin in that goalkeeper slot. Yes I'd be very surprised or even gobsmacked if Tierney or Patterson are fit for any of the games. Fraser is about as fit as Souttar I'd say - it is match fitness and sharpness they will both be lacking. Wright has an outside shot of making it into the squad.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Rumour has it Marshall has signed for Hibs but yes it could just as easily be Zander Clark or Jon McLaughlin in that goalkeeper slot. Yes I'd be very surprised or even gobsmacked if Tierney or Patterson are fit for any of the games. Fraser is about as fit as Souttar I'd say - it is match fitness and sharpness they will both be lacking. Wright has an outside shot of making it into the squad.

I think Marshall going to Hibs will be a fantastic move. It worked out very well for Gordon making a similar move. Marshall is experienced enough now that it doesn't matter too much that he isn't playing at a bigger club. Game time is the most important thing now, to keep him sharp. 

If McLaughlin plays in the Scottish cup final, I wouldn't be against calling him up.

Fraser and Souttar might appreciate the match practise. I'd probably not risk them against Ukraine though. 

Just now, Tartan blood said:

I think Marshall going to Hibs will be a fantastic move. It worked out very well for Gordon making a similar move. Marshall is experienced enough now that it doesn't matter too much that he isn't playing at a bigger club. Game time is the most important thing now, to keep him sharp. 

If McLaughlin plays in the Scottish cup final, I wouldn't be against calling him up.

Fraser and Souttar might appreciate the match practise. I'd probably not risk them against Ukraine though. 

Oh for sure Fraser and Souttar would not play against Ukraine. But squad rotation will definitely happen over the four or five games and they could be used then.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I would expect Wright to be in the squad announced on Monday to be honest. 

Why? He was lucky to be there last night and looked out of his depth.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be honest he looked no more out of his depth than Ryan Jack.

Jack had an off night too but I believe he is good enough to merit a squad place with Scotland, Wright does not.  I am still in disbelief he makes it into a rangers starting 11 let alone their match day squad for a europa league final