Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 141 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22


loanhead-tartan
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Performance school is a massive help. The big change however is playing in the lowland league. 

Instead of going out on loan to lower league clubs who (with no disrespect) don't have access to the same level of facilities, coaches, sports scientists and fitness coaches, they are staying and playing under those while playing the same style as the first team in the lowland league. Rangers play the same style all the way through the different age groups.

While the lowland league isn't as good a standard as the championship or league 1. It is still a good level with many clubs who would excel in league 2. It provides tough physical mens games where these lads still have to try and win. There is pressure but not at the same degree and allows these lads to play the mistakes out of their game.

 

The previous promising players didn't have this season in the lowland league and it showed when they went out on loan. Would McPake, Kennedy, Mebude, Maxwell, etc be in a better position now had they gotten this year in the lowland league at 17-19.

 

Some of these young lads will probably still have to go out on loan to hopefully continue their development but they will be a lot better prepared for it than the previous generation. 

Very good points all round. I remember being a bit gutted that the B teams were going to be in the Lowland league, as opposed to league 2. However, would I be right in saying that would mean players couldn't be swapped back and forward at will? I.e once you are in the B team playing in SPFL leagues, you'd have to wait till the transfer window to play for the senior side. I could be wrong with that.

You're absolutely correct about the facilities and coaches. Some people on here see first team football as the holy grail of development. But I seriously doubt training with a part time club in the Championship at 16-19 is better than training with Rangers/Celtic players every day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Morrison, like Lowry, plays in a position where we have a lot of international quality options. So there is no need for us to rush them into the fold. So, the likes of Morrison, King, Doak, Lowry and Hepburn can take their time.

We're all a little bit more impatient than we should be with Patterson, Hickey and Ramsay because of the position they play. In reality, 18-20 year olds aren't usually expected to be breaking into national teams. 

We have a huge amount of talent coming through. We just need to give them time.

 

I’m not touting Morrison for a call up, just saying what he’s doing. He actually currently plays for Bayern 2. 

I’d certainly have Lowry in the squad if we have a tournament in October. I don’t think you realise quite how good he is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

They played 5 18/19 year old Scots and 3 non scot youngsters and beat a strong hearts team.

Regardless of the club, playing that many teenagers and them doing well is impressive. Especially when you consider Rangers of the past (even just the last manager) would never, ever do that. Gerrard used to think giving one  young lad 30 minutes in a dead rubber as a prize to the youth team.

 

I'd say the same if it was Celtic, Aberdeen or Dundee United. Who did this.

 

Dundee United Deserve so much credit for how much they've given youth a chance.

You can dress it up all you like, hearts may have had a strong team but that game meant absolutely fuck all. With rangers having their most important match in decades coming up they were always playing a weakened team today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Very good points all round. I remember being a bit gutted that the B teams were going to be in the Lowland league, as opposed to league 2. However, would I be right in saying that would mean players couldn't be swapped back and forward at will? I.e once you are in the B team playing in SPFL leagues, you'd have to wait till the transfer window to play for the senior side. I could be wrong with that.

You're absolutely correct about the facilities and coaches. Some people on here see first team football as the holy grail of development. But I seriously doubt training with a part time club in the Championship at 16-19 is better than training with Rangers/Celtic players every day.

Ones you play 5 first team games you can't be used in the B team anymore. 

It's the cavet they are playing first team football while having that access to facilities, coaches, etc that is making the difference.  Like I said the level is lower but they are paying the same style as the first team and playing mens football. 

 

Also it's not like Rangers and Celtic B are running away with it or destroying everyone.  It's young players learning the game against men. Some good results but also lots of bad ones and learning experiences.  Devine and the 4 young subs were all part of a side that lost 4 nil to Stirling Uni last month. 

It's good for the players development, brings larger crowds and more exposure to the league, while not stopping other clubs being promoted. So far the experiment has been a massive success on both sides. I think Hearts are wanting to join aswell now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m not touting Morrison for a call up, just saying what he’s doing. He actually currently plays for Bayern 2. 

I’d certainly have Lowry in the squad if we have a tournament in October. I don’t think you realise quite how good he is. 

I've only really seen him in highlights, so you've probably seen far more of him than I have. I'll trust your judgement! I'll add him to the list of future superstars. I'm always happy to board the hype train for any Scot.

I'm also on Doak's hype train. I'm glad he'll have Ramsay in the youths with him. And I'm sure Robbo will take both under his wing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Andy Considine has his last game for aberdeen tomorrow. Clearly playing for his country meant alot. 😪

 

Wish we had more like him for Aberdeen & Scotland, always gives 100% & you can see how much ch playing for Scotland meant to him & just look at the effect he created with yes sir I can boogie. A true gent & Aberdeen legend 👏👏👏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I've only really seen him in highlights, so you've probably seen far more of him than I have. I'll trust your judgement! I'll add him to the list of future superstars. I'm always happy to board the hype train for any Scot.

I'm also on Doak's hype train. I'm glad he'll have Ramsay in the youths with him. And I'm sure Robbo will take both under his wing.

Doak does look very promising. I don’t think there’s any doubt we’re clear favourites for the 2026 World Cup… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Jack Hendry scores. Club Brugge win the Belgian league

I should write off more of our players.

A week or two later they come storming back into good form and winning medals !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I should write off more of our players.

A week or two later they come storming back into good form and winning medals !

Hahaha keep it up then mate 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Doak does look very promising. I don’t think there’s any doubt we’re clear favourites for the 2026 World Cup… 

And the 2024 Euros as well. But that goes without saying, obviously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

And the 2024 Euros as well. But that goes without saying, obviously.

Will 3 Nations League wins be enough to keep the trophy or will be made to wait until the fifth?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Will 3 Nations League wins be enough to keep the trophy or will be made to wait until the fifth?

They'll rename it the 'Scotland's Nations League' as tribute after we win it for a 5th time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Be good if we could find a striker good enough to play for Liverpool, Man City.

World class strikers are a luxury for most nations. Most small nations dont have one and even alot of big nations as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anybody watch the sheff utd v nottingham forest game. Couple of scots playing plus mckenna has been instrumental in getting forest to this point. I think he could be an important player for us in the future unless  several young centre backs come through who are good enough for a top league. We will have to rely on him at some point and its good that he could potentially get experience playing against top strikers in the epl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Anybody watch the sheff utd v nottingham forest game. Couple of scots playing plus mckenna has been instrumental in getting forest to this point. I think he could be an important player for us in the future unless  several young centre backs come through who are good enough for a top league. We will have to rely on him at some point and its good that he could potentially get experience playing against top strikers in the epl.

I agree, I think McKenna will become a 1st choice regular starter for Scotland in the near future. 
Forest won 2-1 in Sheffield, it’s my opinion that whoever wins this match will beat the winner of Luton vs Huddersfield. I think Forest have a great chance of promotion and I’d be happy to see McKenna in the Premiership next season. 

Edited by Scot1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...