Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 262 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Conway, King and Fiorini training with the first team, Ross Mccrorie called up, Ralston out. 

Concerns for Cooper, Souttar and Patterson.

Patterson was presumably always going to be touch and go anyhow, ironically that's why Ralston was in the squad. Don't really want to lose any more players though, particularly defenders. 

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In place of who though? Certainly not John McGinn. Not Callum McGregor who is a different type player and key to how our midfield functions. Not Scott McTominay currently as he has begun proving his worth. The only one would be Ryan Christie and he has not really done enough wrong to merit the axe.

McGinn been outstanding in a wide role for Villa since Emery came in so move him there instead of Christie/Armstrong and bring in Ferguson is my thinking.

Ryan Jack also started v Cyprus.

10 hours ago, syecosse said:

Conway, King and Fiorini training with the first team, Ross Mccrorie called up, Ralston out. 

Concerns for Cooper, Souttar and Patterson.

Really good to see those young lads involved. McCrorie is good too, would say he probably deserves to be in ahead of Ralston anyway based on game time. 

12 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

McGinn been outstanding in a wide role for Villa since Emery came in so move him there instead of Christie/Armstrong and bring in Ferguson is my thinking.

Ryan Jack also started v Cyprus.

That is the role McGinn plays for Scotland. We tend to play 2 deeper mids, then 2 further forward and then a striker. McGinn tends to play the right further forward mid. 

One of the deeper mids will defo be McGreggor. The remaining 2 mids will be from Gilmour, McTominay or Jack for deeper and McTominay, Christie, Armstrong or Ferguson for attacking.

12 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Really good to see those young lads involved. McCrorie is good too, would say he probably deserves to be in ahead of Ralston anyway based on game time. 

Pretty stupid to say an Aberdeen player should be picked because he has more game time. Only thing going for him is his versatility.

Hardly shone when he was playing in the English first division.

12 hours ago, syecosse said:

We have a European medal winner Oddly Harrison Ashby apparently qualified to get a winners medal in the European conference league, he played enough minutes.....24. 

I'm well chuffed for young Oddly 

• 1 month later...

Cooper playing at the Ullevaal again today as Leeds are playing a friendly against Man Utd in Oslo. Scotland U21 Jeremiah Mullen starts with him in defence.

No sign of McTominay for Man Utd, he's playing golf at the Scottish Open Pro-Am

Edited by csinclair

5 hours ago, csinclair said:

Cooper playing at the Ullevaal again today as Leeds are playing a friendly against Man Utd in Oslo. Scotland U21 Jeremiah Mullen starts with him in defence.

2-0 to Man u . Apparently leeds defence were awful 

6 hours ago, csinclair said:

Ten Hag confirmed that the players that were on international duty last month had been given extra time off and are due to return on Saturday however they most likely won’t be playing till at least another week so if McTominay is still at Man Utd by then, we wont see him play till the Arsenal game over in the States on July 22nd.

46 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

2-0 to Man u . Apparently leeds defence were awful 

I watched the game. Leeds defence in the 1st half containing both Cooper & Chilokah-Mullen kept a clean sheet against a stronger Man Utd XI who only managed 1 shot on target in that half. Both players only played the first 45 mins before both sides changes the whole XI for the 2nd half. The 2nd half Leeds defence were a shambles against a U23 United XI.

Edited by DesiScotsman

52 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Ten Hag confirmed that the players that were on international duty last month had been given extra time off and are due to return on Saturday however they most likely won’t be playing till at least another week so if McTominay is still at Man Utd by then, we wont see him play till the Arsenal game over in the States on July 22nd.

I watched the game. Leeds defence in the 1st half containing both Cooper & Chilokah-Mullen kept a clean sheet against a stronger Man Utd XI who only managed 1 shot on target in that half. Both players only played the first 45 mins before both sides changes the whole XI for the 2nd half. The 2nd half Leeds defence were a shambles against a U23 United XI.

Thanks for the update.

interested to see where McTominay and Tierney start next season.

What does Ryan Gauld have to do to get even a sniff of a chance?  I know it's not exactly La Liga quality but 8 goals and 8 assists from 25 games for Vancouver Whitecaps this season is a pretty good return.  Surely it's got to at least be worth getting him over and having a look?

50 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

What does Ryan Gauld have to do to get even a sniff of a chance?  I know it's not exactly La Liga quality but 8 goals and 8 assists from 25 games for Vancouver Whitecaps this season is a pretty good return.  Surely it's got to at least be worth getting him over and having a look?

It's a long way to travel just to sit on the bench. Can't see him getting much time on the pitch, unless we have a load of injuries/suspensions. 

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

What does he have to do? Move to a decent European club or league, it’s as simple as that. Clarke had shown he will not pick players from MLS, see also Johnny Russell. Why that is we don’t know but travel distance (therefore training time, fatigue etc.) and league quality are possible reasons. Regardless, if he really wants to play for Scotland the requirement seems fairly clear at this point.

Is the MLS much worse than the SPFL? If someone had those kind of stats in the SPFL he'd be a shooty-in for a call-up (provided he was eligible to play for us, obviously).

I am easy-oasy about Gauld being called up but to settle the debate if I was manager I'd give him minutes in one of the friendlies we've got coming up this year. If he can cut it against England or France then we'll certainly know he's good enough.

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

7 goals and 6 assits  this season according to who scored and sofa score but all since the 1st of June, he had been pretty poor in the early start of the season so I stopped checking how he was doing. Clarke probably did'nt even consider him for the recent squads.

If he plays he has like in his last 8 games in the next 8 Clarke would have a look as would half a dozen clubs in Europe that could afford a transfer fee and the reported 40k a week he is on.

Ability there, but not getting any younger.

I would say Scots_Wha_Hae has pretty much summed it up.

The Doak hype has already started, it seems. Just training sessions so far, I think, but Klopp has been quoted as saying he is "the future of Scotland". 

Still only 17. It would be crazy if he could break into the Liverpool team this year. But I'd also be happy to wait another year or so, if needs be. 

40 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

The Doak hype has already started, it seems. Just training sessions so far, I think, but Klopp has been quoted as saying he is "the future of Scotland". 

Still only 17. It would be crazy if he could break into the Liverpool team this year. But I'd also be happy to wait another year or so, if needs be. 

Yeh theres clips of him impressing in training and klopp is very excited by him. Just hope the hype doesnt get too big. He needs a few years of getting games and working hard if hes going to make it at a top club.

If him and mebude make it big we could be in for a big decision in the future on the formation we play as currently we dont really use wingers. Unless doak starts scoring loads of goals and we just start him as a striker.

Saying that alot has to happen before we have these decisions to make as doak and mebude might not make it big at all.

Edited by mccaughey85

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh theres clips of him impressing in training and klopp is very excited by him. Just hope the hype doesnt get too big. He needs a few years of getting games and working hard if hes going to make it at a top club.

If him and mebude make it big we could be in for a big decision in the future on the formation we play as currently we dont really use wingers. Unless doak starts scoring loads of goals and we just start him as a striker.

Saying that alot has to happen before we have these decisions to make as doak and mebude might not make it big at all.

I'd have said that Doak could easily take over from the Christie/Armstrong/Fraser second forward role that has been a pretty common occurrence. However, I feel like the new midfield 4 of McTominay, McGinn, McGregor and Gilmour is incredibly strong. So, you're right, we may have to completely alter our structure.

Clarke adapted his tactics to suit our 2 best players - Tierney and Robertson. If Doak turns out to be as good as we think he will be, I'm sure Clarke will adapt the team to suit him as well.