Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 261 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

3 Scots youngsters on the bench that could make their debut in the Prem. for the last day of the season, Craig(Spurs) Mullen(Leeds) and Ashby (Newcastle).

1 out of 3 ain't bad, Matthew Craig got about 20mins for Tottenham.

On 5/27/2023 at 8:14 PM, noctonjock said:

Alan Campbell promoted to the EPL today with Luton Town. An unused sub though . He  has played a fair few games this season . Still only 24 

Seems to have been less of a starter in the last half of the campaign for them.

7 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Seems to have been less of a starter in the last half of the campaign for them.

I don't think he's good enough for the EPL. I wouldn't be surprised if Luton moved him on. At the very best he'll just be a squad player for them.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

I don't think he's good enough for the EPL. I wouldn't be surprised if Luton moved him on. At the very best he'll just be a squad player for them.

Sadly, I have to agree. If Luton did not utilize him in the Championship then I see no reason why they will deem him good enough for them to play in the EPL. I think the Championship is his threshold. I hope I am wrong though.

39 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sadly, I have to agree. If Luton did not utilize him in the Championship then I see no reason why they will deem him good enough for them to play in the EPL. I think the Championship is his threshold. I hope I am wrong though.

He has started nearly every game this season & it's only been since the play offs he hasn't. It wasn't that long ago, around the time he got the Scotland call that I read that the fans love him & where scared they might lose him.

Luton will be odds on to go down as i guess the majority of their squad is thought to be championship standard but it doesn't mean some of them including Campbell can't take their game to a bottom half EPL level.

Players like Kenny McLean & Scott Arfield where never thought good enough to play at that level but they did even though with limited success & I'm pretty sure Luton will give Campbell that deserved chance also.

Id be surprised if Luton spent much money by normal standards of sides going up. Partly because if they play it smart then they will save the cash and invest to make themselves a much stronger club overall in the the hope that they can go straight back up the following year and partly because I cant see many EPL proven players wanting to join them because I doubt anybody thinks they will stay up.

I think Fulham are a good model this thim around. Almost everytime they have come up they have basically replaced their full championship team and then went staight back down again. Last time they got relegated they kept the good bottom end EPL / top end Championship players, stormed the Championship and then only had to had a few players of extra quality this time around. Its left them in a much better position to stay in the EPL longer term.

Might be wrong but I think Campbell got an injury near the end of the season? I think there's more to come from him to be honest.
His career seems to still be on the upward at least though unlike his old midfield partner David Turnbull who seems to be stagnating as a Celtic bit part player

2 hours ago, csinclair said:

Might be wrong but I think Campbell got an injury near the end of the season? I think there's more to come from him to be honest.
His career seems to still be on the upward at least though unlike his old midfield partner David Turnbull who seems to be stagnating as a Celtic bit part player

Turnbull is a very good player, it's disappointing to see him languishing on the bench for Celtic. I hope he can secure at least a loan if not a transfer for the good of his career. Not quite good enough to start for them but too good to be a reserve player is a tough place to be.

On 5/29/2023 at 9:06 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Id be surprised if Luton spent much money by normal standards of sides going up. Partly because if they play it smart then they will save the cash and invest to make themselves a much stronger club overall in the the hope that they can go straight back up the following year and partly because I cant see many EPL proven players wanting to join them because I doubt anybody thinks they will stay up.

I think Fulham are a good model this thim around. Almost everytime they have come up they have basically replaced their full championship team and then went staight back down again. Last time they got relegated they kept the good bottom end EPL / top end Championship players, stormed the Championship and then only had to had a few players of extra quality this time around. Its left them in a much better position to stay in the EPL longer term.

Yeh the Fulham model this year seemed to work, i prefer that than a complete overhaul of a squad which like you say Luton won't have the money to do . I'm pretty sure my English team Burnley as long as they don't lose Kompany will also try to add a handful of higher level players & hope it's enough to survive

Sad reality of the alleged best league in the world is half the teams are just battling to stay up . 

Apologies to the majority who might not interested in this post😉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿💪

On 5/30/2023 at 9:40 AM, csinclair said:

Not sure if Campbell got injured but I agree with you I think he might surprise a few on here & do okay for them in their inevitable relegation battle.I

He has a great work ethic & attitude as well as more talent than people give him credit for. Ryan Jack seemed to finish the season poorly if he doesn't start next season well I can see Campbell replacing Jack in our squad.

There should always be a place in the  squad for a player like Campbell or Jack , nothing spectacular but willing to sit & put their foot in when necessary💪

Edited by theabsentee

Wasn’t that long ago Turnbull look destined for the top but he doesn’t seem mobile enough to play in that Celtic team, be interesting to see what is next career move is as I don’t see him featuring under the current set up. He has the talent to win a game in an instant so he’ll not be short of interest. 

As for Campbell I think he’ll surprise a few people . Started 38 games last season

Scottish Midfield is definitely one that is only going to get more interesting like fullbacks as time goes on, a few reliable top regulars now Mcginn, Mctominay, Gilmour, Mcgregor and Armstrong then some guys that do a job Jack and McLean but behind them now pushing.

Ferguson staring in Serie A

Hackney looking top class 

Campbell interesting to see if he does well in the prem. 

Fiorini a good move and if he stays fit always looks good when plays Championship and U21s.

Turnbull needs to move 

Marc Leonard excellent on loan at Northampton and giving a new deal at Brighton 

Then you have Abdulai, Lowry, Craig Brothers, Summers and is he isn't he Anderson. 

Some good competition. 

Edited by syecosse

If you look at the squad we have and what leagues they play on then it gives some confidence. 

Obviously it would be great to have a players like Haaland but there's a reason why Norway haven't been qualify for major tournaments in recent years. 

A draw would be an excellent result and if we win it, then we we're as good as qualified.

Jordan Holsgrove from what I can see 1 of the journalists that follows Portuguese top flight had Holsgrove as just missing out on his team of the season. Seems to be getting linked with Braga and Real Zaragoza.

Andy Irving goal and assist against Red bull Salzburg, 5 goals and 5 assists in the Austrian top flight apparently Stuttgart may be interested. 

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ferguson has done really well this season. Would like to see him rewarded with some serious gametime in the 2 upcoming games. 

Bologna should be given access to any scottish young player they want. They seem to be doing a good job with them.

Yep, him and Hickey adapted very quickly so fair play to them.

Any of the bigger Serie A clubs showed an interest in Ferguson as you'd think that would seem the next step with the stats he's produced, 7 goals in his debut is a pretty good effort with more scope for improvement.

He really needs to be a starter for the national team sooner or later.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

He really needs to be a starter for the national team sooner or later.

In place of who though? Certainly not John McGinn. Not Callum McGregor who is a different type player and key to how our midfield functions. Not Scott McTominay currently as he has begun proving his worth. The only one would be Ryan Christie and he has not really done enough wrong to merit the axe.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In place of who though? Certainly not John McGinn. Not Callum McGregor who is a different type player and key to how our midfield functions. Not Scott McTominay currently as he has begun proving his worth. The only one would be Ryan Christie and he has not really done enough wrong to merit the axe 

Like you say you certainly wouldn't play Ferguson in front of McGinn , McGregor or even Mctominay. He is competing with Christie & Armstrong for a starting place but as neither of them have had great seasons there is a chance if he shows enough in training to get the nod .

3 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Like you say you certainly wouldn't play Ferguson in front of McGinn , McGregor or even Mctominay. He is competing with Christie & Armstrong for a starting place but as neither of them have had great seasons there is a chance if he shows enough in training to get the nod .

With the end of the season Gilmour has had, I'd suspect he'll be put into CM alongside McGregor against Norway. I think the Christie/Armstrong sacrifice will be made to allow McTominay to play further up the park.

I can see Ferguson potentially starting v Georgia though.