Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 253 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

42 minutes ago, stitch said:

One of the things I noticed after the Spain game, when Gilmour walked down the stairs from the subs bench he had a massive smile on his face, (others didn't) even though he didn't get any minutes and by his standards he has had a poor season not getting much time on the pitch. I just got a feeling he knows he can and will play a big part in the Scotland team. Probably the same when it comes to his club.

That's a good observation! I watched yesterday's Brighton vs Wolves game on TV and was came to the same conclusion. Thinking of the last couple of seasons he's had: hard loan period at Norwich;  bench warming at Brighton; out of the starting eleven for the national team. And to come on yesterday for his first start in months and put on a performance like that! What a pro, and what a talent.

As for the game. He played the same deep-lying midfield role he plays for us. His passing was superb (often one-touch, other times he'd take a touch wait for the right moment to lay it off for a team mate making a run). He was getting warm applause too from the Brighton fans (it was a home game) for his defensive work too.

Billy Gilmour and Pascal Gross seem to be a great midfield pairing. Brighton were already 5-0 up when the big midfield guns Caicedo and MacAllister came on (65 minutes, Caicedo dropping alongside Gilmour as a defensive midfielder, MacAllister further forward). So maybe (fingers crossed), this was a preview of next seasons midfield pairing should Caicedo and MacAllister get sold on (for big bucks)?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Great news v  Gilmour but I'm wondering if we're going to have a Tierney/Robertson situation in the near future. He and McTom play in a similar position alongside McGregor. Could the solution be to play McGinn and McTom just behind Adams?

Norway away i would have McTom next to McGinn behind Adams or Dykes 

However i would personally have Jack next to McGregor away to Norway - would have Gilmour in against the Georgians though where we next to be more creative and press for the goals 

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol you serious?

He puts the ball in the net and thats what matters. A goal every 171 mins this season for a struggling team is excellent especially considering hes only 20.

There should be a bit more excitement about this lad. How often do we have a 20 year old striker who will probably be in the epl in a couple of years.

Personally i get way more excited by conway than the likes of mebude, wilson or even doak. We need to get this lad in the main squad sooner rather than later.

I don't think it's that nobody is interested or excited about him it's more the fact that probably most including me have never seen him play. He is also only a relatively recent call up who has been injured. 

I doubt he will get called up in June whether he merits it or not but if he starts next season well he should be. As he is eligible only through a grandparent if Clarke thinks he has a serious chance he should get the senior call asap .

Certainly seems highly thought of by some of Bristol city fans.

Screenshot_2023-04-30-13-13-59-041_com.android.chrome.jpg

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sheffield United forum hates him again, say he wanders round the pitch like he doesn't give two hoots. 

He seems to care enough to have scored 13 goals this season. Just imagine what he would do if he tried. 😂😂

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Watching MOTD Robertson had some howlers today.

Felt a bit sorry for him as he's been given an absolute hospital pass.  They seem to have told Alexander Arnold to play where he wants.  Robertson's still to get up and down plus cover centre half as one of them is continually getting pulled over to right back.

I don't think he's been very good this season but get the impression he's going to be the scapegoat for the scouser's posterboy unfortunately 

Probably shouldn’t be mentioning him so I’m posting with hesitation but he’s probably more likely to play for our full team rather than England’s. 

21 year old Jensen Weir has scored 10 goals (no pens) and 4 assists from centre midfield at Morecambe (League 1) this season. 

Hackney and fiorini are the same age and Gilmour is only 6 months older so we have better options tbf. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Colemans season looks over for Everton. Paterson coming on to replace him. Hope he takes his chance. 

Everton fans on their forum quite pleased with Patterson but a lot of concern for Coleman, some people even talking about career ending injury. Hope not as he's been a gear servant to that club. It'll be interesting to see if Dyche sticks with Patterson for the next game.

16 hours ago, csinclair said:

First half of the season I could understand how Tierney couldn’t get a game but in quite a few of the Arsenal games I’ve watched recently, including tonight, Zinchenko has looked a bit suspect. 

I agree.

Excuse my ignorance, I’ve had a look for the extent McTominay’s injury? 
Unable to find out through various searches 

Is he still injured or now totally out of favour ?? 

8 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Excuse my ignorance, I’ve had a look for the extent McTominay’s injury? 
Unable to find out through various searches 

Is he still injured or now totally out of favour ?? 

Injured but a couple of games away according to manager.

Mctominay on twitter says he will be back before the season ends.