Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 238 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Ferguson seemed to have played well against Lazio tonight 

Watched the last 20 mins and I think he touched the ball twice. No idea how he played before then though.

5 minutes ago, todd said:

Zero eligible Scotland players in the Rangers starting 11 today. 🙄 Although I suppose Macgregor is still eligible 

More concerning is that for the 2nd round in a row they are playing a side in the division below and they dont even have any youth on the bench. 

I really dont understand the reason for having somebody like Arfield on the bench for a game like this.

Im presumming Devine is injured as this is the type of game he should be starting but not even on the bench.

Also, did Beale not say McCrorie would get some games this season? When exactly is that going to happen?

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

More concerning is that for the 2nd round in a row they are playing a side in the division below and they dont even have any youth on the bench. 

I really dont understand the reason for having somebody like Arfield on the bench for a game like this.

Im presumming Devine is injured as this is the type of game he should be starting but not even on the bench.

Also, did Beale not say McCrorie would get some games this season? When exactly is that going to happen?

The Scottish Cup is Rangers’ best chance of a trophy. The side is at full strength. 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

The Scottish Cup is Rangers’ best chance of a trophy. The side is at full strength. 

I understand that but its shortermism at its best. If Celtic win the league and league cup and Rangers win the Scottish cup would they consider it a good season?

When every game / competition is so important that you only ever play your 1st team players then it leaves zero scope for player development.

For example Rangers went 2 goals up, at home against a team in the lower half of Championship after an hour. They then brought on Arfield. Surely there is a development player who could have played the last half hour. Same argument for any other position. If Ranger distrust their development players that much that they think they might cost them a 2 goal lead in such circumstances then these players shouldnt be anywhere the club.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I understand that but its shortermism at its best. If Celtic win the league and league cup and Rangers win the Scottish cup would they consider it a good season?

When every game / competition is so important that you only ever play your 1st team players then it leaves zero scope for player development.

For example Rangers went 2 goals up, at home against a team in the lower half of Championship after an hour. They then brought on Arfield. Surely there is a development player who could have played the last half hour. Same argument for any other position. If Ranger distrust their development players that much that they think they might cost them a 2 goal lead in such circumstances then these players shouldnt be anywhere the club.

I agree to an extent, but the manager could lose his job if he doesn’t win the Cup. Lowry is injured, I think Devine was on the bench. Souttar came on, so there is that. Rangers were nearly 0-1 down and it could have been a difficult game. 

42 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I agree to an extent, but the manager could lose his job if he doesn’t win the Cup. Lowry is injured, I think Devine was on the bench. Souttar came on, so there is that. Rangers were nearly 0-1 down and it could have been a difficult game. 

I have just seen a very depressing report that shows which teams have giving starts to u21s Scots this season Rangers, Dundee utd and Motherwell are top but only 3, however the worst are Celtic Ross County and and Hibs none, on a suppose plus side for maybe both Rangers and could benefit Scotland the guy Rangers brought over from Belgium is adapting the whole Rangers system to have more academy's throughout Scotland and those systems are similar to Germany and Holland on how they manage youngsters.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Devine wasnt on the bench. The full back on the bench was the young Turkish lad. Not sure if Devine was injured though.

Thats part of the problem at Rangers though isnt it. A young player will never ever get an extended run in the team over an established player because every game is a must win in the eyes of the club. The league cup for example should be treated as a developmental cup like most clubs in England do. However its part of any treble (or preventing a Celtic treble).

Changes to the Rangers academy will make no difference as long as the culture of the club remains. The idea that they are the biggest club in the world, cant afford to lose anything holds them back. There are so many examples of superstar players in England getting there 1st proper taste of senior football in the league cup. And not just in the early rounds. I rememer Arsenal getting humped off their biggest rivals over 2 legs of a league cup semi final because Wenger stuck with the youth. Im sure Fabregas was one of them. Can you imagine Rangers playing Celtic at Hampden and playing, McCrorie, Devine, Lowry etc etc. The fans, media etc would go into meltdown.

Whats the result of that attitude though? Having to buy for every single position and every single backup.

11 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Devine wasnt on the bench. The full back on the bench was the young Turkish lad. Not sure if Devine was injured though.

Thats part of the problem at Rangers though isnt it. A young player will never ever get an extended run in the team over an established player because every game is a must win in the eyes of the club. The league cup for example should be treated as a developmental cup like most clubs in England do. However its part of any treble (or preventing a Celtic treble).

Changes to the Rangers academy will make no difference as long as the culture of the club remains. The idea that they are the biggest club in the world, cant afford to lose anything holds them back. There are so many examples of superstar players in England getting there 1st proper taste of senior football in the league cup. And not just in the early rounds. I rememer Arsenal getting humped off their biggest rivals over 2 legs of a league cup semi final because Wenger stuck with the youth. Im sure Fabregas was one of them. Can you imagine Rangers playing Celtic at Hampden and playing, McCrorie, Devine, Lowry etc etc. The fans, media etc would go into meltdown.

Whats the result of that attitude though? Having to buy for every single position and every single backup.

I do agree to some extent with the above,. The Rangers and Celtic B teams playing in the lowland league still isn't enough of a step forward to allow for the huge step required into either club's 1st team. Rangers probably being the worse offender, getting to the point that the youth system ends up being unfit for purpose. All of the names mentioned above will more than likely end up falling into the general EFL or SPFL wilderness, below the level required to be effective for the national team. The recent example (although not Scottish)is Charlie McCann, picked up out of the Man Utd academy with massive potential now been let go on a permanent basis to be a squad player for Forest Green Rovers.

11 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I do agree to some extent with the above,. The Rangers and Celtic B teams playing in the lowland league still isn't enough of a step forward to allow for the huge step required into either club's 1st team. Rangers probably being the worse offender, getting to the point that the youth system ends up being unfit for purpose. All of the names mentioned above will more than likely end up falling into the general EFL or SPFL wilderness, below the level required to be effective for the national team. The recent example (although not Scottish)is Charlie McCann, picked up out of the Man Utd academy with massive potential now been let go on a permanent basis to be a squad player for Forest Green Rovers.

My issue is with the total lack of opportunities even when games are all but over or like the weekend when they are playing seriously weaker opposition.

Ive a good few Rangers supporting mates and it really annoys them. Every time they get excited about a young player, they get a glimpse of him and then he just disappears.

Devine being the most recent example. Gets motm and plays well every single game at LB despite being a RB. Then Barasic returns and Devine hasnt played a minute since. Taviner plays every minute of every game. Surely he needs a rest every now and then. Was the same with Patterson, he only got a run when Taviner was injured.

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Fiorini back for Blackpool also, they won 6-1 against QPR, fans seem to say when fit he makes a big difference to them. 

Just read their forum, very positive posts saying what a classy player & good passer he is. He has been unlucky with injuries, only 4 starts this season.   Fiorini & Hackney seem similar type players , both will also turn 21 this summer so it'll be interesting to watch them develop & lets hope at least one of them can progress enough to play senior level for us.

Edited by theabsentee