Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 237 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I think this hits the nail on the head.

Realistically a squad player in a top 4 PL team will always make our squad, even though he has played less recently it seems.

In his primary position he has been sitting around 3rd or 4th choice at best for a midfield slot. More likely to play as a playmaking defender when playing weaker teams, but less likely to start in defence against teams where we will be under more pressure, which I think is fair enough.

This. With our midfield options, he's certainly someone we'll have in the squad.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hickey was flawless tonight. He also appears to be much more comfortable using his right foot. It was never a weak point but if you didnt know better you would have thought he was right footed tonight.

44 minutes ago, csinclair said:

image.thumb.png.412429d96164ab17aeacd80e99d2b82e.png

Pretty strong lineup for Rangers B in the Glasgow Cup against Celtic today with Devine, King and Souttar all playing

Will be good for Souttar to get some game match time; hopefully he'll be back in contention for us by the June international break.

15 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Looks like Jack Hendry injured too. Worrying prospect of who will play CB’s in the qualifiers.  

He was subbed off injured in a recent league game. 

Hanley and Porteous are the likely candidates. Would be hard to ignore Hyam at this point with Cooper, McKenna, Hendry all injured and Souttar only just being eased back

21 minutes ago, lightspeed2019 said:

No Tierney in the squad for Lisbon - He's unwell.

Really hope hes fit for these upcoming games. Hes already missed a fair few squads over the years and he adds another dimension to our team when he plays. Its typical of our luck that half our squad is either injured or not playing regulary.

On 3/7/2023 at 2:19 PM, csinclair said:

image.thumb.png.412429d96164ab17aeacd80e99d2b82e.png

Pretty strong lineup for Rangers B in the Glasgow Cup against Celtic today with Devine, King and Souttar all playing

If anyone is thinking the fact they conceded 3 goals reflects on Souttar, I just saw that all Celtic's goals came in the 2nd half with Souttar subbed at half time

17 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

If anyone is thinking the fact they conceded 3 goals reflects on Souttar, I just saw that all Celtic's goals came in the 2nd half with Souttar subbed at half time

Seen that, It was 0-0 and then Rangers changed all of there defence at half time.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It will be a serious knock to our chances of getting a result against spain if hes not playing. Cyprus we should be able to beat without him but getting a draw or even a win v spain will require our best players putting in a big performance. 

A lot of people seem to think that Cyprus shouldn't be a problem, even with our current situation (injuries, lack of game time/form, etc)  We've always struggled against them even at full strength.  We seem to beat them 2-1 every time we play them 🤔  I'd bite your hand off for that scoreline again to be honest.  Got a horrible feeling it may end in a draw!

12 minutes ago, todd said:

A lot of people seem to think that Cyprus shouldn't be a problem, even with our current situation (injuries, lack of game time/form, etc)  We've always struggled against them even at full strength.  We seem to beat them 2-1 every time we play them 🤔  I'd bite your hand off for that scoreline again to be honest.  Got a horrible feeling it may end in a draw!

Given the form of the majority of our players, I think our best realistic hope for the next round of games would be 3pts against Cyprus without any bombscare in the process and putting in a good performance (but not necesarilly result) against Spain without getting absolutely molested in the scoreline. Anything extra would be a bonus.

Following that, reset for the June games which will be of greater importance.

43 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Given the form of the majority of our players, I think our best realistic hope for the next round of games would be 3pts against Cyprus without any bombscare in the process and putting in a good performance (but not necesarilly result) against Spain without getting absolutely molested in the scoreline. Anything extra would be a bonus.

Following that, reset for the June games which will be of greater importance.

Yeh 3pts against cyprus and decent showing v spain is all i want/expect tbh.

5 hours ago, todd said:

Cyprus have given us problems. Lucky to beat them away last time. We really can't afford a poor start in this group. Too many times we have started poorly in the group and after three games or so are starting that if Cyprus can take a point in Norway or Georgia can draw against Spain carry on. We must come out flying and look to win both home games. If we can go to Norway with at least 4 points it makes a big big difference than going into that game with only say 1 point. Let's keep it in our own hands. 

45 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Cyprus have given us problems. Lucky to beat them away last time. We really can't afford a poor start in this group. Too many times we have started poorly in the group and after three games or so are starting that if Cyprus can take a point in Norway or Georgia can draw against Spain carry on. We must come out flying and look to win both home games. If we can go to Norway with at least 4 points it makes a big big difference than going into that game with only say 1 point. Let's keep it in our own hands. 

We were quite lucky to beat them at home too, IIRC, but we were in the doldrums at that point in time.

But aye, it's a tough group we've got this time and we can't afford to drop points against teams we're expected to beat, especially at home. Three points against Cyprus and hopefully a point against Spain (or at the very least a good performance) are what we should be realistically aiming for.

28 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Saw that as well, bit of good news. On a less positive note, Gilmour doesn't appear to be in the Brighton squad, injury, illness?

I think he's been injured for a few weeks (ironic, considering how little game time he's had!).