Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 203 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Before his ACL injury last season he was being quoted for a move to Spurs and £25m was being banded about. He is a decent player and hopefully he does get that big move because that means we get a big sell on fee!  If he stays injury free he will be a big loss for Scotland 

Sounds like he could potentially be a big loss. Certainly would be if he goes to the epl and does well. Not much we can do about it now. Just hope that he doesnt become some superstar centre back. 

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The three mentioned had fathers who played for Scotland and two of them were captains. It is far more infuriating, and, in my view, is a serious disrespect to the fathers.

There were four mentioned; I can remember Fletcher and Weir captaining Scotland but none of the others, as far as I'm aware.

Listen, I'd rather they played for Scotland (and maybe, eventually, they will) but while it is disappointing I don't see it being disrespectful, as such.  After all, their fathers made a decision to raise them in England.  To my mind it's no different to George Weah's son playing for the USA.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Cummings is no great loss and Boyle I can forgive, because he'd been overlooked by Scotland for years (although he'd probably have been capped eventually). Souttar though threw his toys out the pram because he was overlooked for an U21 squad. He'd have almost certainly been capped by Scotland by now but if he can turn his back on his country after a slight setback like that it's doubtful how committed he'd be anyway.

Australia have five players in their squad who could of played for us. As well as Boyle, Cummings (who did play for us) and Souttar, they have Jamie MacLaren and Jackson Irvine (or Err-Vine as the English commentators are calling him), who were both capped by us at youth level.

Mat Ryan has a Scottish mum too. 

Would have been a decent replacement for Gordon. 

Souttar would definitely be in our squad too. Was being talked about being the best centre back in the Championship prior to the injury. 

11 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

What a wee rat bastard and wtf is his dad doing letting him represent England. Hope he's shite......although that means he will probably turn out for us eventually 

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

Scot Gemmill is a fud (or a crap coach anyway) but come on, you don't turn your back on your country after a minor setback like that.

Mcgeady, McArthur 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, Kirk said:

What a wee rat bastard and wtf is his dad doing letting him represent England. Hope he's shite......although that means he will probably turn out for us eventually 

Mcgeady, McArthur 🤷‍♂️

I think you mean McCarthy. James McArthur got 32 caps for Scotland. 

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's still not enough, I'm afraid.

Rule changes a few years ago mean that he's only tied to us after three senior caps in competitive games. It is a shite rule but there we are, unfortunately.

If it were up to me one cap (friendly or competitive) would be enough. In fact I'd go further and make an U21 cap enough to tie you down for life.

That change only applies to three competitive games under age 21.  Once a player is 21 it’s the normal rule of one competitive game.   Apparently to stop countries from “stockpiling” players.  

In practice it could mean that Anderson could play for England next year and still switch to Scotland if they stopped picking him.   Just for example.  

Edited by adamntg

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

That change only applies to three competitive games under age 21.  Once a player is 21 it’s the normal rule of one competitive game.   Apparently to stop countries from “stockpiling” players.  

In practice it could mean that Anderson could play for England next year and still switch to Scotland if they stopped picking him.   Just for example.  

I agree with that rule to an extent. The likes of Wales have been handing out caps to 17/18 year olds for years to trap them into a decision. 

However, it does leave the door open for players to have a fall back nation if their first preference doesn't come off. Which does stick in your craw a bit. But it's just the way of the world. Dual natioanlity is an especially normal thing. Still a damn sight better than club football, where you can just purchase your way out of trouble.

Edited by Tartan blood

7 hours ago, dan cake said:

Hibs confirm Porto won’t be signing a new contract so I’m assuming they’ll try and get something for him in January, hopefully he goes abroad. I’ll be needing a new man crush 🥰 

Maybe bologna could take him. They seem to like our players and are doing a pretty decent job in developing them.

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh sounds like he could be a big loss. Mad to think we could have had two brothers playing centre back together for scotland. 

It would be even more mad if the two of them were both fit at exactly the same time.

46 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

It would be even more mad if the two of them were both fit at exactly the same time.

At the time that Harry Souttar was coming through wasn't Strachan complaining about lack of height in the Scottish team. You'd have thought that alone might have made Harry Souttar's international future a bit more of a priority.

5 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

At the time that Harry Souttar was coming through wasn't Strachan complaining about lack of height in the Scottish team. You'd have thought that alone might have made Harry Souttar's international future a bit more of a priority.

Ach, he jumped ship when he was injured in Stoke reserves or on loan at Fleetwood and Ross County. 

Doesn’t sound like he was determined to play for Scotland. 

9 hours ago, adamntg said:

Ach, he jumped ship when he was injured in Stoke reserves or on loan at Fleetwood and Ross County. 

Doesn’t sound like he was determined to play for Scotland. 

Exactly.  He was 20-years-old at the time too.  If he'd been, say, 23 or 24, playing regularly at the level he is now and still out of the picture, I wouldn't have blamed him for jumping ship, but someone who's dead set on playing for Scotland doesn't chuck it at 20 just because they've been left out of an U21 squad.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:04 PM, ProudScot said:

Maybe Harry Souttar just wanted to play at major tournaments which there is a drastically greater chance of if you play for Australia rather than Scotland. 

True, especially with their qualifying opponents!