Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 199 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

4 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Not trying to be funny but can anybody give me a reason why Jacob Brown is in the squad. Just looked at his stats for this season. 15 games, 2 goals and no assists.Is there something about him i am missing. Quite happy to be put right on him if anybody can put a good arguement forward for him being included. 

You're the 1st person I've seen question it...but I'd be amazed if anyone can put together a coherent argument of what Brown offers that McBurnie does not.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Not trying to be funny but can anybody give me a reason why Jacob Brown is in the squad. Just looked at his stats for this season. 15 games, 2 goals and no assists.Is there something about him i am missing. Quite happy to be put right on him if anybody can put a good arguement forward for him being included. 

Can play on the wing and has a bit of pace.

Also, for all we know, Clarke may have approach McBurnie and the latter said "no".

I'm happy that Ramsay is deservedly in there.

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

Hes been unimpressive this season so it is a surprise hes gotten selected. I think hes in the squad based on his form last season where he was scoring semi regulary. There is some potential there as he is fast and can sometimes finish but i doubt he really becomes anything more than an average championship striker/forward. Hes a squad filler at the end of the day. I reckon clarke just keeps him around on the small chance his career takes off and we are hardly blessed with strikers tbf.

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol i am no mcburnie fan but doak hasnt scored a goal yet. Lets at least wait til he bangs in couple of goals before we proclaim him as a goalscorer.

End of day we will always need proper strikers in the squad. If say dykes and stewart are injured, then guys like mcburnie, shankland and nisbet will need to be considered. We just dont have enough strikers playing at a high level to completely rule out mcburnie. 

And McBurnie has not scored either for Scotland. Forget club goals I am only interested in Scotland goals. As for your scenario I'd sooner give Shankland or Burke the slot - both of whom have scored for us. And would stick Doak in too.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

And McBurnie has not scored either for Scotland. Forget club goals I am only interested in Scotland goals. As for your scenario I'd sooner give Shankland or Burke the slot - both of whom have scored for us. And would stick Doak in too.

Yeh i am no fan of mcburnie for scotland. I am just saying that doak isnt a striker and he hasnt scored any goals yet, albeit he hasnt played in much games to score.

I would happy consider shankland over mcburnie, Especially if shankland has a great season. I am saying that doaks not directly competing with mcburnie for a squad place. We will always need proper strikers in the squad. Maybe doak will develop into one. Theres certainly a history of wingers becoming strikers so heres hoping.

Burkes not really a striker either imo, more a forward/winger. Maybe more similar to doak. 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh maybe. I am excited by his potential. Hes clearly gifted. I just never get too excited as i know a player can go from hero to zero in the space of a few months. We could do with a world class attacking player who can single handedly win games for us. Last one was probably kenny dalglish which is pretty sad that its been that long.

I've been burned too many times in the past to get overly excited by a youth prospect. Gauld and Burke are probably the 2 that I really had high hopes for. I'm not giving up on either, but I think I predicted both would have 25+ caps each by now.

Saying that, Doak does feel different. We have youngsters at Bayern Munich and Man City, that I'm quietly hopeful for. But it almost seems like Doak has already proven he will be international class. Like he's skipped past "potential" about 3 years too soon! 

McFadden was probably the last player we had that could single handedly win us games. He produced world class performances many times for us.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am just saying that doak isnt a striker and he hasnt scored any goals yet, albeit he hasnt played in much games to score.

I would happy consider shankland over mcburnie, Especially if shankland has a great season. I am saying that doaks not directly competing with mcburnie for a squad place. We will always need proper strikers in the squad. Maybe doak will develop into one. 

https://www.liverpoolworld.uk/sport/football/liverpool/ben-doak-sends-eight-word-message-after-making-impressive-liverpool-debut-3912714

That report refers to Doak as a forward.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He is a forward but every time I've seen him play he's been playing out wide. Not an old fashioned winger but a wide attacker bit like Salah. Definitely not a centre forward like McBurnie.

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

He is a forward but every time I've seen him play he's been playing out wide. Not an old fashioned winger but a wide attacker bit like Salah. Definitely not a centre forward like McBurnie.

We've very frequently played a striker supporters by wide attacking players and so Doak fits in very well to that set up and besides I reckon he will be played more as a striker over time.

14 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I've been burned too many times in the past to get overly excited by a youth prospect. Gauld and Burke are probably the 2 that I really had high hopes for. I'm not giving up on either, but I think I predicted both would have 25+ caps each by now.

Saying that, Doak does feel different. We have youngsters at Bayern Munich and Man City, that I'm quietly hopeful for. But it almost seems like Doak has already proven he will be international class. Like he's skipped past "potential" about 3 years too soon! 

McFadden was probably the last player we had that could single handedly win us games. He produced world class performances many times for us.

Yeh mcfadden produced some great performances for us but he wasnt a world class player and wasnt someone who could take us to the next level as a team. We need a bonafide star man that will make us a really good team and capable of consistently beating top nations. A genuine world class attacking player like switzerland has with shaquiri or wales had with bale. Maybe doak could be that player.

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh mcfadden produced some great performances for us but he wasnt a world class player and wasnt someone who could take us to the next level as a team. We need a bonafide star man that will make us a really good team and capable of consistently beating top nations. A genuine world class attacking player like switzerland has with shaquiri or wales had with bale. Maybe doak could be that player.

McFadden was a bit unfortunate as to when he played for us. We had a pretty decent 13 or 14 players to call upon around 2007, but that pool was far too small, and would rarely all be available at once. It was asking a bit much to expect us to consistently beat the likes of France and Italy. I think he would have done exceptionally well in our current team.

I'm glad Doak is just about to turn 17, because his age would have gone against him getting opportunities. Gauld is the only player I can think of that has made such a big impact at that young an age. Let's hope he achieves more than Gauld has.

51 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh mcfadden produced some great performances for us but he wasnt a world class player and wasnt someone who could take us to the next level as a team. 

I think we all agree with that, however there was something about Faddy, he was a talisman. No matter who we were up against you just felt he could produce a bit of magic something out of nothing.  Loved him!

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I wouldn’t swap McFadden for Shaqiri. 

On 11/10/2022 at 1:11 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Without going over old ground, I personally took that comment to be a throw away joke in the same vain that many guys would make about their wives. I tend to rely more on actions and in that sence he hasnt been anything but commited. If the comment had been made by somebody like Barry Ferguson or Matt Ritchie then if probably have taken it in a different light.

I think we have 2 clear 1st choice strikers in Adams and Dykes. We dont imo have a clear choice for the 3rd striker in the squad. If Stewart was fit id give him a run out. I can also see the argument for Conway but equally can see the benefit for seeing how he does in the U21s. Thereafter I think that McBurnie is our next best player based on form and level he is playing at.

Of course it was.  Every single one of us has probably moaned about their work from time to time or made comments about how we'd rather be anywhere but here.  Doesn't mean we don't turn up every day and give it 100%.

On 11/10/2022 at 1:39 PM, thesaint said:

As far as I can tell he's painfully, eye-wateringly average.  No wonder Ryan Gauld is pissed off about being overlooked. Oliver Burke has similar stats to Brown so far this season but at least he's playing at a higher standard of club football. 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Of course it was.  Every single one of us has probably moaned about their work from time to time or made comments about how we'd rather be anywhere but here.  Doesn't mean we don't turn up every day and give it 100%.

As far as I can tell he's painfully, eye-wateringly average.  No wonder Ryan Gauld is pissed off about being overlooked. Oliver Burke has similar stats to Brown so far this season but at least he's playing at a higher standard of club football. 

Yes. Never see much being said about him.... anywhere. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here but Fraser Hornby has an assist and three goals in his last three games in Belgium, Two of the goals were against Club Bruges.

A lot of people had high hopes for him and at not much over 22 there might be hope for him yet.

As for Brown he has barely started half of a pretty poor Stoke teams games this season, his inclusion is a mystery.

45 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here but Fraser Hornby has an assist and three goals in his last three games in Belgium, Two of the goals were against Club Bruges.

A lot of people had high hopes for him and at not much over 22 there might be hope for him yet.

As for Brown he has barely started half of a pretty poor Stoke teams games this season, his inclusion is a mystery.

If he can start scoring regularly then by all means Hornby should be considered.

As for Brown he has barely started half of a pretty poor Stoke teams games this season,

That's not entirely fair considering how Brown was out injured for several weeks.

10 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If he can start scoring regularly then by all means Hornby should be considered.

As for Brown he has barely started half of a pretty poor Stoke teams games this season,

That's not entirely fair considering how Brown was out injured for several weeks.

Cheers, didn't know he'd been injured. Does show how little attention I pay to him. Check most of our squad players weekly. 

Actually checking on Brown he has been involved in 15 of Stokes games this season.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Clarke has a habit of sticking by players dreadfully out of form, or just dreadful...looking at you Stevie O'Donnell...might be due to him wanting a consistent and club feel about squad gatherings, who knows

12 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Clarke has a habit of sticking by players dreadfully out of form, or just dreadful...looking at you Stevie O'Donnell...might be due to him wanting a consistent and club feel about squad gatherings, who knows

I can understand him not wanting too much change squad to squad. It takes time to train a team to play a certain way and he doesn’t have much of it each time he has the boys together. It would be a waste of resource to try and engrain new players into the way we play every time they get together when they are only squad fillers. The impression I get is when a player breaks through that he thinks might threaten the starting team he changes things pretty quickly and a squad player drops out.