Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 198 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Aye and he's he's scored 10 times the amount Stewart has done at the level they both current play at

Lol stewarts played 7 games in the championship. What relevance has mcburnie having 10 times more goals in a league stewart has barely played in got to do with the two players ability. Mcburnie has 10 times more championship goals than loads of strikers who never played in the championship. Its irrelevant.Ā 

Ā 

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So perhaps people's comparisons between Ben Doak and Robbie Foy can end now since Doak has now actually played for the first team and he is still a few days short of his 17th birthday. Doak is the sort of player we should be integrating into the senior squad not McBurnie.Ā 

Ā 15min in the efl cup doesnt mean hes made it yet. Plenty young lads get a few apps at big clubs and then fade away. Not neccessarily saying doak is going to be like them but hes still got a long way to go. Just look at gilmour, he burst into the chelsea side for a few games and looked amazing but now hes struggling to get a start for brighton. Burkes another who played games for rb leipzig and then faded out badly. A little bit of caution before everyone starts proclaiming this lad the messiah. I remember the hype around burke when we he first broke through. Comparisons with bale were common and everybody thought he was going to be massive hit at leipzig.Ā 

Lets hope that doak starts getting some regular sub apps for liverpool this season and then maybe look to a loan move next season unless they have serious plans on playing him in the first team regulary which they might tbf.

He looks like he could be something special but its still a tough ask for him to break into the liverpool side at 17(turns 17 tommorrow).Ā 

We need players like him to come through as we usually lack guys who can open up defences with pace and good dribbling.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

20 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ā 15min in the efl cup doesnt mean hes made it yet. Plenty young lads get a few apps at big clubs and then fade away. Not neccessarily saying doak is going to be like them but hes still got a long way to go. Just look at gilmour, he burst into the chelsea side for a few games and looked amazing but now hes struggling to get a start for brighton. Burkes another who played games for rb leipzig and then faded out badly. A little bit of caution before everyone starts proclaiming this lad the messiah. I remember the hype around burke when we he first broke through. Comparisons with bale were common and everybody thought he was going to be massive hit at leipzig.Ā 

Lets hope that doak starts getting some regular sub apps for liverpool this season and then maybe look to a loan move next season unless they have serious plans on playing him in the first team regulary which they might tbf.

He looks like he could be something special but its still a tough ask for him to break into the liverpool side at 17(turns 17 tommorrow).Ā 

We need players like him to come through as we usually lack guys who can open up defences with pace and good dribbling.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I understand your skepticism but Liverpool are not in the habit of throwing 16-year-olds into the first team unless they think a heck of a lot of them. Doak can now say he has played in an Old Firm derby and played for Liverpool at the age of 16 and has scored goals at every level of his career now doing it in European Youth level too.

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol stewarts played 7 games in the championship. What relevance has mcburnie having 10 times more goals in a league stewart has barely played in got to do with the two players ability. Mcburnie has 10 times more championship goals than loads of strikers who never played in the championship. Its irrelevant.Ā 

Ā 

It's relevant because Stewart is being heralded as more worthy of caps than McBurnie...they are both the same age, McBurnie has played at a higher level and has more goals than Stewart at a good level of footballĀ 

37 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

It's relevant because Stewart is being heralded as more worthy of caps than McBurnie...they are both the same age, McBurnie has played at a higher level and has more goals than Stewart at a good level of footballĀ 

It's not just about goals scored. It's about attitude and personality too.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Stewart hasnt had a proper chance yet. Mcburnie has and was terrible. I am not suggesting stewart will neccessarily be better but hes earnt the chance to prove himself. If he plays poorly in the games he is given then we can revert back to giving mcburnie another shot.Ā 

Mcburnie can score all the goals he wants in the english championship but if he plays poorly for scotland then he needs to step aside and let other strikers have a go. Its about what you do in a scotland shirt that ultimately matters to clarke.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I think you need to let yourself feel more positive on this one.Ā 

Itā€™s very rare top clubs play 16 year olds in any comp, even the Carabao cup.

Woukdnt be surprised if Doak was a full cap before his 18th birthday.Ā 

24 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I think you need to let yourself feel more positive on this one.Ā 

Itā€™s very rare top clubs play 16 year olds in any comp, even the Carabao cup.

Woukdnt be surprised if Doak was a full cap before his 18th birthday.Ā 

Yeh maybe. I am excited by his potential. Hes clearly gifted. I just never get too excited as i know a player can go from hero to zero in the space of a few months. We could do with a world class attacking player who can single handedly win games for us. Last one was probably kenny dalglish which is pretty sad that its been that long.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It's not just about goals scored. It's about attitude and personality too.

Just an observation but if that statement is true then McBurnie not scoring previously for Scotland shouldnt be a huge stick to beat him with.

His attitude has been 2nd to none. Turned up to friendlys at other side of the world for games we were never going to win. Turns up even when not playing etc

Personality wise he seems to be popular with team mates and managers. Out of football maybe nit so much.

One of our biggest problems over the last 20 years or so has been the scattergun approach to selection: this has meant that when we have a really big game then we fielded teams with a total number of caps often far below that of even one player in the opponent's ranks. That in turn leads to inconsistent results. Clarke is the first manager with the vision to change that, so we now have a group of players with 20 plus caps. If we are tempted to bring in, say Gauld or Burke or Stewart, then we run the risk of ruining that team collective which is so vital. Clarke has kept the hard core where he can; the only surprise to me is the omission of Cooper as we areĀ  short of left-sided centre backs.

39 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Just an observation but if that statement is true then McBurnie not scoring previously for Scotland shouldnt be a huge stick to beat him with.

His attitude has been 2nd to none. Turned up to friendlys at other side of the world for games we were never going to win. Turns up even when not playing etc

Personality wise he seems to be popular with team mates and managers. Out of football maybe nit so much.

Let me clarify - goals do play a part but its not the sole reason to make someone art of a squad who are trying to improve after years of being utter dung. Sometimes you have to forget about attitude and personality if you have other options, if we did not have Adams and Dykes we would have no choice but to call up Mcburnie.

His attitude is 2nd to none - openly saying international football is shite is not an attitude I would class as 2nd to none

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Ā if we did not have Adams and Dykes we would have no choice but to call up Mcburnie.

His attitude is 2nd to none - openly saying international football is shite is not an attitude I would class as 2nd to none

Not me. I'd sooner go down the more ambitious and progressive route and get Ben Doak in who is already exciting lots of people at Liverpool - who McBurnie will never get near to playing for.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

You can dislike McBurnie all you like but one thing that he can't be accused of is lack of commitment. He has turned up through under 19,under 21 level(while certain others were wearing a shirt of a different colour) and has turned up everytime he has been selected. His commitment to Scotland is unquestionable. It's such a stupid stick to beat him with regarding him saying international football is shite. An off the cuff bit of banter with a fellow team member. Why exactly would he play under 19,under 21 and turn up for the full squad everytime he was selected if he really felt that way?Would have been simple for him just to say he wasn't interested and concentrate on his club.Ā 

58 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Let me clarify - goals do play a part but its not the sole reason to make someone art of a squad who are trying to improve after years of being utter dung. Sometimes you have to forget about attitude and personality if you have other options, if we did not have Adams and Dykes we would have no choice but to call up Mcburnie.

Without going over old ground, I personally took that comment to be a throw away joke in the same vain that many guys would make about their wives. I tend to rely more on actions and in that sence he hasnt been anything but commited. If the comment had been made by somebody like Barry Ferguson or Matt Ritchie then if probably have taken it in a different light.

I think we have 2 clear 1st choice strikers in Adams and Dykes. We dont imo have a clear choice for the 3rd striker in the squad. If Stewart was fit id give him a run out. I can also see the argument for Conway but equally can see the benefit for seeing how he does in the U21s. Thereafter I think that McBurnie is our next best player based on form and level he is playing at.

Ā 

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Without going over old ground, I personally took that comment to be a throw away joke in the same vain that many guys would make about their wives. I tend to rely more on actions and in that sence he hasnt been anything but commited. If the comment had been made by somebody like Barry Ferguson or Matt Ritchie then if probably have taken it in a different light.

I think we have 2 clear 1st choice strikers in Adams and Dykes. We dont imo have a clear choice for the 3rd striker in the squad. If Stewart was fit id give him a run out. I can also see the argument for Conway but equally can see the benefit for seeing how he does in the U21s. Thereafter I think that McBurnie is our next best player based on form and level he is playing at.

Agree 100% regarding McBurnie.Ā 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

More of a goalscorer than McBurnie and much more talent too and still young. All that McBurnie isn't.

Lol i am no mcburnie fan but doak hasnt scored a goal yet. Lets at least wait til he bangs in couple of goals before we proclaim him as a goalscorer.

End of day we will always need proper strikers in the squad. If say dykes and stewart are injured, then guys like mcburnie, shankland and nisbet will need to be considered. We just dont have enough strikers playing at a high level to completely rule out mcburnie.Ā 

Not trying to be funny but can anybody give me a reason why Jacob Brown is in the squad. Just looked at his stats for this season. 15 games, 2 goals and no assists.Is there something about him i am missing. Quite happy to be put right on him if anybody can put a good arguement forward for him being included.Ā