Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 196 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Probably the most level headed post on the McBurnie situation.

No one is taking into account what sort of team we had when he played and also who he played against. I might be right in saying Belgium twice Russia twice, Mexico,Peru and Costa Rica. I know for a fact that he hasn't played against any of the diddy nations.

I'm not going to take anyone who suggests Shankland seriously from now on.

In other news Ralston started for Celtic yesterday had an assist and made 5 key passes, 90% pass success and more touches of the ball than anyone bar Matt O'Riley. 

I really wish he would get a move, so we could see how good he actually is.

Good point about the teams McBurnie played against. Stephen Fletcher scored 10 goals for Scotland, which sounds impressive until you look at the fact that 6 of those goals were against Gibraltar. I personally don't think McBurnie deserves a call up for Turkey. Clarke is well known for not calling up players on a whim due to purple patches. But if he still banging them in come March, obviously he should be included.

I actually think there is a good chance Juranovic will be sold after the World Cup since his stock will never be higher. Ange pretty much said he is looking to sell his biggest assets. After that I think Ralston will be Celtic's main right back.

Jeez, we're very quickly moving into a worse conundrum than the  Tierney/Robertson debate. A 4 way fight for the right back slot!

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Good point about the teams McBurnie played against. Stephen Fletcher scored 10 goals for Scotland, which sounds impressive until you look at the fact that 6 of those goals were against Gibraltar. I personally don't think McBurnie deserves a call up for Turkey. Clarke is well known for not calling up players on a whim due to purple patches. But if he still banging them in come March, obviously he should be included.

I actually think there is a good chance Juranovic will be sold after the World Cup since his stock will never be higher. Ange pretty much said he is looking to sell his biggest assets. After that I think Ralston will be Celtic's main right back.

Jeez, we're very quickly moving into a worse conundrum than the  Tierney/Robertson debate. A 4 way fight for the right back slot!

4 way I even feel he could become further down the line unless he nails first choice at Celtic or moves, he needs consistency playing well in bigger matches with the competition, Ashby is in the same situation as Ramsey, Devine is meant to be good, I think I read Rangers see him in the same mold as Patterson.

I dont believe Ralston is anywhere near the same level as Patterson or Hickey and again nowhere near the potential of Ramsay and Ashby.

At the moment id have him 3rd choice right back. He is clearly 2nd choice at Celtic. He tends to play in the games where Celtic are expected to play most of the game in the opposition half. He has good drive and has decent delivery and eye for a goal. He isnt particuarly good at defending though which is why he isnt trusted in the bigger games imo. 

Imo he is the type of player who will do Celtic a turn for as long as he wants to be there however will never be the number 1 right back. Theres nothing wrong with that at all and im happy for him to be in squads and play when neccesary but over time I suspect he will be phased out.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I dont believe Ralston is anywhere near the same level as Patterson or Hickey and again nowhere near the potential of Ramsay and Ashby.

At the moment id have him 3rd choice right back. He is clearly 2nd choice at Celtic. He tends to play in the games where Celtic are expected to play most of the game in the opposition half. He has good drive and has decent delivery and eye for a goal. He isnt particuarly good at defending though which is why he isnt trusted in the bigger games imo. 

Imo he is the type of player who will do Celtic a turn for as long as he wants to be there however will never be the number 1 right back. Theres nothing wrong with that at all and im happy for him to be in squads and play when neccesary but over time I suspect he will be phased out.

Unsure why you’d put Ralston behind Ashby or even Ramsay. 

Ramsay may well be excellent but he’s not playing and Ashby has barely played any senior games yet. 

12 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Ramsay may well be excellent but he’s not playing and Ashby has barely played any senior games yet. 

Ive not put him behind Ramsay or Ashby. I said id have him 3rd choice behind Patterson and Hickey.

In terms of potential, I think both Ramsay and Ashby have greater potential however potential is all it is atm and therefore I think Ralston will and should keep him place in the squad until such a time that either of these players realise said potential.

To me Ralston seems like a good solid if unspectacular pro. The kind that Rangers and Celtic require due to number of games etc. Like a Mark Wilson or a Steven Whittiker. People who have some ability, are unlikely to let you down when called upon but at the same time not likely to hold down a starting place or move onto bigger and better things.

Ie theres no way Ralston does a Tierney or even a Patterson and gets a big money move from the Old firm to the EPL.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Ive not put him behind Ramsay or Ashby. I said id have him 3rd choice behind Patterson and Hickey.

In terms of potential, I think both Ramsay and Ashby have greater potential however potential is all it is atm and therefore I think Ralston will and should keep him place in the squad until such a time that either of these players realise said potential.

To me Ralston seems like a good solid if unspectacular pro. The kind that Rangers and Celtic require due to number of games etc. Like a Mark Wilson or a Steven Whittiker. People who have some ability, are unlikely to let you down when called upon but at the same time not likely to hold down a starting place or move onto bigger and better things.

Ie theres no way Ralston does a Tierney or even a Patterson and gets a big money move from the Old firm to the EPL.

Of course there's no way he's getting a big money move but it would be interesting to see what he is capable of for a lower to mid table side in a top league. In theory it should be easier to get into a team like that than Celtic.

53 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I always compare Greg Taylor with Mark Wilson. He's probably got a Celtic's player of the year award in him, but that'll be his peak.

I think Ralston is a hard one to judge properly because he really only broke on the scene at the same time as Patterson and Hickey, despite being older. Is that because he isn't as good, or is it because Neil Lennon wasn't up for giving him a shot, or did he just develop at a different rate? I think he will go on to be Celtic's first choice right back. The only reason he isn't already is because they have Croatia's first choice full back already.

I think we all need to calm down a bit about Ashby. Everything we are going on is glimpses and hearsay. Ramsey has shown far more than Ashby. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I still view Ashby in the same vein as Jack Grimmer when he was at Fulham or Matthew Kennedy when he was at Everton. Both fairly highly rated at big clubs but hadn't made the breakthrough yet. And never did. Hopefully Ashby doesn't end up going the same way. No disrespect to both who have had okay careers elsewhere.

On 11/5/2022 at 11:37 PM, thesaint said:

He is in great form. Pick him. He might just do it this time. McBurnie is more commited to Scotland than plenty of others. Played through all the age groups, went on that f.. king South American trip when plenty were pulling out. Always got to be a scapegoat and he seems to be it. Would love to see him get picked and knock a goal or two in. More commited to Scotland than plenty of others fawned over on this forum. Adams who played for england and this arsehole anderson who is hedging his bets. I want guys who WANT to play for us. Not guys who turn to us as a second choice. 

He played in some terrible Scotland teams and games and wasn't always terrible. Its a hard gig being the lone striker, especially when he had little to no support in some of the games. He's never going to be a superstar but hes playing well and deserves another go in a much more positive Scotland set up. We aren't exactly spoiled for choice anyway.

On 11/6/2022 at 11:19 AM, vanderark14 said:

Both of those players refused to take part in a huddle before a game because its what celtic do before games. 🤣🤣

If that's their mindset as grown men and professional footballers they can fuck off

More than once, shows the level of idiocy in Scotland due to 2 football teams.

On 11/6/2022 at 2:46 PM, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Quite worrying about the amount of our players, facing periods on the bench in the EPL. Tierney, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn come to mind

Tierney needs a move pronto. Gilmour has been unlucky with the manager changing, hopefully he can force his way in or get another loan, hes a great player but needs to play now. McTominay  is in and out, Utd are a better side when he plays. McGinn may need to look for a move if he's not going to get any starts.

6 minutes ago, Kirk said:

He played in some terrible Scotland teams and games and wasn't always terrible. Its a hard gig being the lone striker, especially when he had little to no support in some of the games. He's never going to be a superstar but hes playing well and deserves another go in a much more positive Scotland set up. We aren't exactly spoiled for choice anyway.

More than once, shows the level of idiocy in Scotland due to 2 football teams.

Tierney needs a move pronto. Gilmour has been unlucky with the manager changing, hopefully he can force his way in or get another loan, hes a great player but needs to play now. McTominay  is in and out, Utd are a better side when he plays. McGinn may need to look for a move if he's not going to get any starts.

Pretty much every game i have ever watched mcburnie play in for scotland(u21s included) hes been utterly terrible. I think there was maybe one or two(max)games where he played ok(being generous). I am happy for him to get another shot but its a case of 15/20mins here or there off the bench. We cant afford to the risk of starting him in qualifying matches when we have guys like dykes and adams who have played well in the vast majority of their matches. Also stewart and maybe conway will deserve chances before mcburnie. 

If he goes onto score 25 or more this season then he deserves a place in the squad again but hes still a long way off starting matches for us.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Pretty much every game i have ever watched mcburnie play in for scotland(u21s included) hes been utterly terrible. I think there was maybe one or two(max)games where he played ok(being generous). I am happy for him to get another shot but its a case of 15/20mins here or there off the bench. We cant afford to the risk of starting him in qualifying matches when we have guys like dykes and adams who have played well in the vast majority of their matches. Also stewart and maybe conway will deserve chances before mcburnie. 

If he goes onto score 25 or more this season then he deserves a place in the squad again but hes still a long way off starting matches for us.

Sometimes performance is simply down to how you're being utilised, as well as cohesion with the players around you.

Adams and Dykes are ahead of him, as you say, while players like Stewart, Brown and Conway may well be better options. I'm not as concerned about him being in the squad (if he does get into it) as I would've been a year or so ago however; he's increasingly looking like he's the best back up to Adams and Dykes - although he'll need to show that if given the chance.

Don't really get the outright hate for McBurnie...yes, he has been a bit of a fud at times and yes he hasn't scored for his country yet, but we literally have strikers being named who have 5 goals at English Championship level as being undoubtedly a better option than him.

McBurnie has scored 10 time the amount of goals as Ross Stewart (and I'm not dismissing Stewart at all, as I've liked him since his Ross County days) at Championship level or above.

To point blank refuse to believe that McBurnie may be an option is baffling...but then it's the TAMB and there are umpteen folk on here that wouldn't know a fitba player if it kicked them in the mouth.

5 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Don't really get the outright hate for McBurnie...yes, he has been a bit of a fud at times and yes he hasn't scored for his country yet, but we literally have strikers being named who have 5 goals at English Championship level as being undoubtedly a better option than him.

McBurnie has scored 10 time the amount of goals as Ross Stewart (and I'm not dismissing Stewart at all, as I've liked him since his Ross County days) at Championship level or above.

To point blank refuse to believe that McBurnie may be an option is baffling...but then it's the TAMB and there are umpteen folk on here that wouldn't know a fitba player if it kicked them in the mouth.

Yes,i agree.The guys a Scotland fan and wants to do well for us and he has hit a good bit of form.We all know he hasn't done much yet but that doesn't mean he can't do something now.There has always got to be a scapegoat among the fans and McBurnie seems to be it.As for the first incident McBurnie got involved in,if there was ever anybody who was asking for a smack it was those two turds that followed him about that village shouting abuse at him.Shit themselves big time when McBurnie confronted them.Sweet.

3 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

10 times?

Have you actually watched mcburnie play for scotland? Hes been brutally bad in nearly every game hes played. He struggled to do the basics that a pro footballer should be able to do. 

I am happy for him to get another chance if he continues his club form but it should limited to short spells off the bench like 15 or 20 mins.

Stats wise mcburnie should be ahead of guys like stewart and conway but mcburnie has had countless chances and not produced the goods therefore its only fair that other strikers get a chance before him.

3 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Sensible post and totally agree

10 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I get it entirely.

He’s been completely useless and had umpteen chances. 

He’s been in the headlines for multiple wanky reasons none of which are playing well for us or scoring a goal even. 

Others deserve a chance.