Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 182 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

On 10/5/2022 at 10:18 AM, Tartan blood said:

You know this is probably the only time in the last 25 years where it wouldn't mean automatic inclusion into the squad. Semi-regular appearances for Celtic and Rangers in the SPFL used to be enough as well. 

The likes of Wright, Welsh and Forrest would all be in the squad in years gone by.

And  rightly so, the squads were  pish for ages. 

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Callum McGregor looks to have suffered a bad knee injury last night.

Assuming that friendly against Turkey goes ahead next month and McGregor doesn't make it - who should fill in for him ?

A gIlmour mctominay midfield would be nice to see. 

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And  rightly so, the squads were  pish for ages. 

Yup. It was very much scraping the bottom of the barrel. Jamie Smith comes to mind, though I'm sure there are loads of others. He was never more than a bit part player for Celtic but still got 2 Scotland caps while he was there. Interestingly he never got capped again despite a decent career away from Celtic.

Edited by Tartan blood

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Yup. It was very much scraping the bottom of the barrel. Jamie Smith comes to mind, though I'm sure there are loads of others. He was never more than a bit part player for Celtic but still got 2 Scotland caps while he was there. Interestingly he never got capped again despite a decent career away from Celtic.

Jamie Smith was far, far from the worst player capped by Vogts.

Smith definitely had some talent, his big problem was he was always injured for half of every season. Hence no more caps.

If you want a shite Old Firm player capped under Vogts. Look no further than Maurice Ross. Arguably the epitome of what a terrible Scottish footballer is.

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Jamie Smith was far, far from the worst player capped by Vogts.

Smith definitely had some talent, his big problem was he was always injured for half of every season. Hence no more caps.

If you want a shite Old Firm player capped under Vogts. Look no further than Maurice Ross. Arguably the epitome of what a terrible Scottish footballer is.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to have a dig at him specifically. In fact, he was pretty good for Aberdeen, from what I can remember. Just interesting that he was only capped whilst at Celtic and not elsewhere.

Maurice Ross is a great shout. No chance would he have been capped if he wasn't a Rangers player

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hopefully kick on and claim a starting spot. Probably just got a start tonight due to the injury to Willock.

Willock is now out injured for a few weeks. Dykes now has a great chance to play and score a few.

Didn't know that Jordan Archer was now their back-up goalie.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ryan Porteous needs hosing down, he's on fire ! Another goal.

Maybe his international debut has given him a huge confidence boost. As someone else on here said, I wouldn't mind him moving to Serie A by the start of next season. He'll need to start playing at a higher level soon if he's going to continue to improve.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Maybe his international debut has given him a huge confidence boost. As someone else on here said, I wouldn't mind him moving to Serie A by the start of next season. He'll need to start playing at a higher level soon if he's going to continue to improve.

I really hope he doesn't end up at Celtic or Rangers (no chance of that lol). Going away from the UK and learning a different style would be great for him. That game against Ukraine will have definitely got him on the radar of a few clubs.

45 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Doesn’t anymore think gilmour will have to go on loan again in January , doesn’t look like he will get very much gametime at Brighton apart from the odd injury time runout. 

Nah, i think he's at the right club, for the type of football they play.

He got around 10 mins today. He just needs to work hard and convince his manager he should start over the alternatives