Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 173 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Assuming Adams starts I would much prefer Burke to come on from the bench than Dykes, Brown or Stewart. 

Having said that I would probably prefer any of the other three to start

I think having Burke in the squad at the expense of Dykes and Brown would be the best option. 

Not a bad call.

Though, I've got to say, I like Dykes and Brown too. (In general, Steve Clarke will have some tricky decisions to make all over the squad?)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mcgregor the only guaranteed starter for celtic in the CL tonight.

There will be a Scottish goalie for Rangers but only one of those wants to play for Scotland. I don't think rangers will have any other Scottish players in the starting line up. 

Another reason we should all be so happy the old firm are in the CL. It's great for Scottish football🤣

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There will be a Scottish goalie for Rangers but only one of those wants to play for Scotland. I don't think rangers will have any other Scottish players in the starting line up. 

Another reason we should all be so happy the old firm are in the CL. It's great for Scottish football🤣

Pretty sure Taylor will start too, he's probably the best performing Scottish player in the SPFL. 

Shame about the position. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Taylor is guaranteed to start. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It's has created a bit of a buzz round work and a distraction from the all powerful EPL, it's not great but it is something. 

Celtic win 9-0 tonight and our league looks pretty good. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Totally forgot about him. We are up to 2 for celtic

I totally get where you are coming from however Rangers have 2 possible starters in McLaughlin and Wright*. Celtic have 2 likely starters in McGreggor and Taylor.

If it was any of the English teams we would be delightled for 2 Scots to be playing Champions League football. Its only disappointing as we would hope with the old firm being Scottish teams there would be more however 2 is better than nothing. 

Put it another way. This week we could have 4 Scottish players playing in the Champions League who played in Europa last season. Thats an improvement and a benefit to the national team.

*I think Wright is rotten and shouldnt be anywhere near Scotland team.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Hate to ask but how many Scottish players would start if Aberdeen were playing tonight? 

39 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Don't know, what difference would this make?

I mentioned the English teams as well, it's the way football is now. 

Celtic and rangers can't afford the best Scottish players so they spend accordingly to get the best results. 

Aberdeen do exactly the same. 

You original post suggested they should do otherwise, looking at it now it could be read as little more than an honest observation. 

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Celtic and rangers can't afford the best Scottish players so they spend accordingly to get the best results. 

You original post suggested they should do otherwise, looking at it now it could be read as little more than an honest observation. 

You've lost me, I didn't suggest anything relating to Aberdeen

I was reading an article with big Duncan Ferguson at the weekend ( he's touting for DU job) and he said his son plays for Newcastle. (U21's I think) anyone heard about him 

He also regrets not playing for Scotland,( don't we all Dunc)  he reckons he would have got 100 caps. Wonder how many goals he would have got...🤔

Edited by stocky

12 minutes ago, stocky said:

I was reading an article with big Duncan Ferguson at the weekend ( he's touting for DU job) and he said his son plays for Newcastle. (U21's I think) anyone heard about him 

He also regrets not playing for Scotland,( don't we all Dunc)  he reckons he would have got 100 caps. Wonder how many goals he would have got...🤔

He certainly should have played more but with his injury record would have been nowhere near 100. It is amazing he never scored a goal for Scotland. Read about his son a while ago. Think he moved from Everton to Newcastle but know nothing about him other than that. 

Scotland u18s announced like the u19s they also seem to have some promising players, which is good for the under age groups, included are Man utd trio Malachi Sharpe, Louis Jackson and Jack Kingdon. Rory Mahady that Leeds signed off Celtics academy in the summer is a keeper very highly rated, Dylan Reid at St. Mirren, Mcarthur and Emerson at Newcastle a few new na.es including 1 lad who already has started first team matches for Crewe(yes I know its only Crewe but for a young lad) Max Woodcock.

Worrying though Celtics youth team lost 6-0 at home in there opening youth match to Real Madrid, however Dire Mebude stared as City youths beat Sevilla 4-1 and josh Adams featured.

I wish all of the Scottish teams the very best in Europe.  Rangers and Celtic in the Champions League is excellent, for the coaches, the staff, the players and the fans.  It certainly raises expectation's for the National team.  Off topic, but reading Ange talking about how Celtic will approach the game against Real Madrid today is pretty refreshing.  

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I would say that this is first time since the mid 90s that the scotland national team has better players than either of the old firm. 

Last time was probably around 93/94/95 when celtic team was pretty poor and they were finishing lower than 2nd. Obviously the rangers team was class at that point and probably slightly better than the scotland team on paper.

15 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I would say that this is first time since the mid 90s that the scotland national team has better players than either of the old firm. 

Last time was probably around 93/94/95 when celtic team was pretty poor and they were finishing lower than 2nd. Obviously the rangers team was class at that point and probably slightly better than the scotland team on paper.

Actually tbf we probably had better players than rangers during the years they were in the lower leagues.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

McGregor was very good in the first half against Real, but like the whole team, ran out of steam in the second.

In response to the earlier post, we should be doing all we can to get Dire Mebude fast tracked up the levels. I think he is going to be a star player.  

I watched most of the game and he was phenomenal. Probably in his top 5 performances that I've seen him in. Being awarded the captaincy has been the making of him. 

Greg Taylor did well, too. He's a guy that largely gets ignored due to the fact he'll always be 3rd in line at best at LB.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I watched most of the game and he was phenomenal. Probably in his top 5 performances that I've seen him in. Being awarded the captaincy has been the making of him. 

Greg Taylor did well, too. He's a guy that largely gets ignored due to the fact he'll always be 3rd in line at best at LB.

He was our best player against england imo. I am just surprised he hasnt been bought by an epl club or a team on the continent hasnt picked him up.