Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 161 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh this is probably the last chance for him to make it at a good level but at least hes got a goal and that might earn him some more gametime. 

I dont have high hopes for him anymore but at least hes been given a chance in the bundesliga again which i am kinda surprised hes been given after his relatively poor stint at sheff utd. 

We dont have any decent wingers apart from fraser who doesnt turn up so burke hasnt got much competition in that area so he might get back in based on a run of decent bundesliga performances.

I still hold out hope for hear hear

Hear hear! Burke is a player with explosive power & pace, it sounds good doesn't it? 

Unfortunately he has been with numerous clubs now & nobody has managed to create anywhere near the finished article out of that raw talent.  

On 8/13/2022 at 7:05 PM, stocky said:

8 scots playing in premier league today

Robbo and McKenna will play sun/ Mon 

Making it ten 

2 playing in serie A

and guid auld Olli Burke playing in bundesleague.

That's the best we have had in years.          ( this century 🤔

Which could go even higher depending on what happens before the transfer window shuts. As well as the likes of Fraser being fit for Newcastle again.

Add in that there will be 3 or 4 Scots at Celtic playing regularly in the Champions League. Maybe 1 or 2 at Rangers in whatever European competition they find themselves in, too.

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Nobodies getting carried away. Hes got himself a goal in the limited gametime hes had so far and if he does do relatively well for werder then he should get a place back in the squad. Saying that hes still got a lot to do before that happens plus we dont really play much wingers so its going to be tough for guys like him unless we choose to go for a 451 or 433 in some games.

Either way hes scored in the tiny amount of gametime hes had so far which is promising and should help with his confidence.

I agree.  I like the player and want him to rebuild confidence and play to the best of his ability. Whether that will be good enough for him to get back into Steve Clarke's squad anytime soon, I don't know. (But suspect it won't be easy given that many others are ahead of him now).

To be fair to him, he seemed to do okay in his loan spell at Alaves: got games and some encouragement from his manager and team mates. Hopefully the coaching setup at Werder Bremen will be similarly conducive to him and he'll rebuild what his confidence and get more game time in the upcoming season.  And if, against the odds, things work out for Ollie Burke, it can only be good for Scotland to have another viable attacking option coming into the picture?

This is a weird one ...

Kieran Tierney's nightmare injury from a few months back (according to the Arsenal club doctor) was caused by an accident ............ walking out of a shower and Tierney didn't tell anyone he was in pain for a few days afterwards.

A couple of thoughts:

Is Tierney wary of people thinking he's made of glass and therefore reluctant to disclose any pain or discomfort he feels ?

Why the hell is the club doctor revealing what is essentially confidential patient information to the public like that ?

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

This is a weird one ...

Kieran Tierney's nightmare injury from a few months back (according to the Arsenal club doctor) was caused by an accident ............ walking out of a shower and Tierney didn't tell anyone he was in pain for a few days afterwards.

A couple of thoughts:

Is Tierney wary of people thinking he's made of glass and therefore reluctant to disclose any pain or discomfort he feels ?

Why the hell is the club doctor revealing what is essentially confidential patient information to the public like that ?

It's an interesting one that - arguably a lot of the information put into the public domain could be argued to be private/confidential (i.e. salary, contract length etc.). The SRU (rugby) no longer say the length of contract they give their players after the player union asked them to stop doing it, so it is something that has been noted by some parties in other sports.

Couple of things I noticed from last night's games, Dykes seems to be taking a hammering from the QPR fans they really want rid of him.

Fiorini came off injured and was again really good until taken off with an injury.

Leonard on loan at Northampton is playing really well there now also, Bowie has made some good cameos off the bench assists and goals scored the winner last night. 

5 hours ago, syecosse said:

Fiorini came off injured and was again really good until taken off with an injury.

I'm really intrigued to see how he gets on at Champ level. His other loans have all been very positive but at lower levels. This year will go a long way to telling us if he will be an EPL standard player.

When I've seen him myself he always looked like he has the technical tools but is maybe lacking in physique - is that still the case? 

43 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I'm really intrigued to see how he gets on at Champ level. His other loans have all been very positive but at lower levels. This year will go a long way to telling us if he will be an EPL standard player.

When I've seen him myself he always looked like he has the technical tools but is maybe lacking in physique - is that still the case? 

Looking at reports from the opening games he has been the standout at controlling games but defensively seems his weakness, but from various sources some saying he looks a prem. Player already, Patino on loan from Arsenal is meant to be Arsenal's latest superstar coming through on loan but it is Fiorini who is shining so far. Owen Brown says the Scots  u21s should be built around him. 

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Have Clarke, Carver or SFA scouts been spotted at any games in Scotland or England since the start of the season ?

Clarke was at rugby park on Sunday

11 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Cheers for that.

Apart from McLaughlin and Wright who else could he have been watching ?

Eh🤔

Neither of them were playing at rugby park on Sunday😉

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Eh🤔

Neither of them were playing at rugby park on Sunday😉

Bugger, masturbation does destroy the brain !

McGregor, Turnbull & Taylor for Celtic.

Hate to sound like a prick but I don't think any Killie players (at the moment) are worth considering. Hopefully, a year from now that will be a different matter.

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

2 (good) goals for Ryan Gauld last night. 4 goals and 5 assists in last 8 games

Seems to be hitting a bit of form,has missed a few games this season and been on the bench for some as well. Looks like he wasn't a 100% fit until his recent run of games.

Still very hard to compare the MLS with other leagues though.

53 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Clarke doesn’t play with wingers so can’t see it 

Looks to me in those clips that he's playing through the middle (maybe playing as an attacking Ryan-Christie-type midfielder?)

Great speed of thought and (to quote the commentator) "clinical finish[es]" for the goals.

Would love to see Gauld in next squad. He's got technical skills and vision that only a few of our current players have. A different option from the bench? But maybe that bird has flown?