Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 158 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, we are better without him. Still have him in the squad as cover but he isn't a starter for me. Decent player but we have some very good midfield players ahead of him.

20 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Would argue mctominay has rarely had a decent game for Scotland 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Looks like mclaughlin is starting games for rangers this season. If he becomes rangers no.1 over the next couple of seasons then he will merit a starting place for scotland especially when gordon retires which i am guessing he will after the 2024 euro campaign.

That would make very little sense. McLaughlin is already 34 and after the Euros will be 36 - hardly one to look to the future with. We should look to younger crop. After all those behind Craig Gordon are all much of a muchness talent-wise anyway.

10 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Would argue mctominay has rarely had a decent game for Scotland 

He's generally been poor, even when played in midfield. However that won't stop plenty believing that he's a world beater because he plays for Man Utd. 

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

He's generally been poor, even when played in midfield. However that won't stop plenty believing that he's a world beater because he plays for Man Utd. 

I haven't heard anyone say he is a world beater

30 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I haven't heard anyone say he is a world beater

Personally, I think he'd be better off with a move away from Manchester United. They are stagnating (by their standards) as a club and it is doing his career no good. The United fans invariably blame him and that must erode his confidence which does not help at all. A move from United to somewhere where he may be appreciated and where he can rebuild his confidence would be for the best for him, for United and for Scotland.

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Personally, I think he'd be better off with a move away from Manchester United. They are stagnating (by their standards) as a club and it is doing his career no good. The United fans invariably blame him and that must erode his confidence which does not help at all. A move from United to somewhere where he may be appreciated and where he can rebuild his confidence would be for the best for him, for United and for Scotland.

I completely agree. If a manager took him on and played him as a box to box midfielder he would flourish.

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That would make very little sense. McLaughlin is already 34 and after the Euros will be 36 - hardly one to look to the future with. We should look to younger crop. After all those behind Craig Gordon are all much of a muchness talent-wise anyway.

If theres no decent keepers around by then and hes doing well as rangers no.1 then i dont see any other option but to use him. No point in chucking some 25/26 year old who isnt good enough just because they are young.

If he becomes rangers no.1 then he will probably merit selection over any other keeper and can be used for few years until a young talented keeper comes along.

22 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

If theres no decent keepers around by then and hes doing well as rangers no.1 then i dont see any other option but to use him. No point in chucking some 25/26 year old who isnt good enough just because they are young.

If he becomes rangers no.1 then he will probably merit selection over any other keeper and can be used for few years until a young talented keeper comes along.

I don't see there is any real difference between him and our other options. Lets not just opt for him for who he plays for.

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't see there is any real difference between him and our other options. Lets not just opt for him for who he plays for.

So who do we opt for if the situation is the same as now in 2 years?

The hope is someone comes through but that might not happen.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

The situation won't be the same as now - pretty sure of that. We'll see when that time comes.

Thats optimistic lol. We havent produced a good goalkeeper since marshall, mcgregor and gordon came through which is more than 15 years ago. Personally i think we will be in the same situation in 2 years time as guys like slicker and main etc need more time than that assuming they make it at all. Liam kelly might improve but theres a good chance that motherwell will be his level. I cant think of many goalkeepers who could suddenly make massive improvements in the next couple of years. 

My main objection to mclaughlin in the past was his lack of gametime at rangers and the fact hes not played much football above league 1/spl. If he becomes rangers main man then i think he will deserve a chance to at least get a run in the scotland team when gordon retires.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The situation won't be the same as now - pretty sure of that. We'll see when that time comes.

Hasn't been a decent goalie come through for nearly 20 years last decent goalie was arguably Marshall and he's what 37 ish 

Concerning the youth goalies havent looked great in the national youth teams 

And barely any young goalies playing first team football 

I think we could be in real trouble in this position if Gordon retired 

We have 4 eligible scottish goalies playing first team football in our league even more concerning most of the back goalies are also non scottish 

Love your optimism that someone is going to appear but feels unfounded 

21 hours ago, runningtings said:

Agreed, we are better without him. Still have him in the squad as cover but he isn't a starter for me. Decent player but we have some very good midfield players ahead of him.

Apart from John McGinn I can't think of very many.

9 minutes ago, borojock said:

Hasn't been a decent goalie come through for nearly 20 years last decent goalie was arguably Marshall and he's what 37 ish 

We have 4 eligible scottish goalies playing first team football in our league even more concerning most of the back goalies are also non scottish 

Completely agree, I think we could be in trouble in the near future. We shouldn't underestimate how important a position goalkeeper is, especially since our defence isn't exactly great either.

I am not saying he's the answer but I'm surprised Ryan Fulton - ex-U21 goalie, began his career at Liverpool, got game time on loan with a couple of lower league English clubs - wasn't picked up by a club from a higher level when Hamilton were relegated. I saw him play against Thistle last weekend and he was excellent.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ciaran slicker started for rochdale last night. He got subbed after 67mins so i am unsure if he was injured or just playing really bad. The score was 0-0 when he came off so surely it must of been an injury. Perhaps someone can give us an update on it.

Looking on twitter it was an injury, apparently was very good. 

9 hours ago, borojock said:

I never said anyone new was going to breakthrough (that is possible though - McRorie for example). I said the situation will be different in two years time and it will. Rangers most likely will have bought a foreign goalkeeper as McGregor will have retired and he may be first choice. Back-up goalkeepers of ours at the moment may have moved on to new clubs and enhanced their reputation or stayed put and gained more club experience. Long term injuries are possible and yes young goalkeepers such ascRorie could have broke through or made a name for themselves being promoted to the SPL. So, for sure, the same situation will not be in place as there are so many variables.

Like I said, mccaughey85 was worrying about Gordon's retirement in two years' time and who replaced him. Well McLaughlin will be 36 by then and close to retirement himself so I wouldn't pin hopes on him being the answer for the long-term. And, in any case, talent and reliability-wise I would not (at present) place him about the likes of younger options such as Clark or Kelly. Point being let's not just make a decision based on who he plays his club football for.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I never said anyone new was going to breakthrough (that is possible though - McRorie for example). I said the situation will be different in two years time and it will. Rangers most likely will have bought a foreign goalkeeper as McGregor will have retired and he may be first choice. Back-up goalkeepers of ours at the moment may have moved on to new clubs and enhanced their reputation or stayed put and gained more club experience. Long term injuries are possible and yes young goalkeepers such ascRorie could have broke through or made a name for themselves being promoted to the SPL. So, for sure, the same situation will not be in place as there are so many variables.

Like I said, mccaughey85 was worrying about Gordon's retirement in two years' time and who replaced him. Well McLaughlin will be 36 by then and close to retirement himself so I wouldn't pin hopes on him being the answer for the long-term. And, in any case, talent and reliability-wise I would not (at present) place him about the likes of younger options such as Clark or Kelly. Point being let's not just make a decision based on who he plays his club football for.

Whilst nobody knows what the situation will be like in 2 years time, my view is that we dont currently have an established number 2 should Gordon be unavailable.

Of the 3 most commonly mentioned, Clarke, Kelly and McLaughlin. McLaughlin is the front runner for me.

Whilst the club somebody plays for isnt the only factor, as a general rule of thumb, better players play for better clubs. That to an extent wouldnt apply to McLaughlin previously as he was himself a back up but that no longer seems to be the case.

McLaughlin will benefit from playing in big european games. Playing against different teams / playing styles etc. He will benefit from handling the occasion. Something that Kelly in particular seemed unable to do in Motherwells qualifier.

We could really do with somebody breaking through soon though.

22 hours ago, scotlad said:

Apart from John McGinn I can't think of very many.

Completely agree, I think we could be in trouble in the near future. We shouldn't underestimate how important a position goalkeeper is, especially since our defence isn't exactly great either.

I am not saying he's the answer but I'm surprised Ryan Fulton - ex-U21 goalie, began his career at Liverpool, got game time on loan with a couple of lower league English clubs - wasn't picked up by a club from a higher level when Hamilton were relegated. I saw him play against Thistle last weekend and he was excellent.

I like Ryan Fulton, still quite young, I think, and seems to have all the attributes. Had a few howlers in his younger days but that is the same with all young keepers. I’ve no doubt McLaughlin will be in the next squad. 

On 8/9/2022 at 11:19 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Iwelumo fully deserved his call up at the time. The miss was a freak event. You probably don't also know that he twice turned down call ups from Nigeria because he was determined to play for Scotland one day.

Btw Anya is half Nigerian and he is a more recent call up than Iwelumo, played his heart out for Scotland too.

Anja i forgot was also half Nigerian, really liked him, one of my best moments watching Scotland that goal he scored in Dortmund.

As for Iwelumo your right i didn't know he turned down Nigeria. I like big Chris as a pundit, intelligent fella but it doesn't hide the fact he was nothing more than a above average journeyman pro. I think he was picked ahead of the Steven Fletcher at that point, that's something i really couldn't understand. 

Let's hope young Mebube at City will turn out to be better than all of them 🤞

On 8/8/2022 at 12:53 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Add Gordon to that list. Maybe McGregor too. 

Both certain starters, but if Gordon stopped getting a game for Hearts, I think we'd all see that as the end of his career.

As for McGregor, he's in the best form of his life and rightfully in the starting 11. But he was very much a disputed pick before he became Celtic captain and upped his game. 

Tierney, Robertson and McGinn are currently in the bracket that it doesn't really matter what they are doing for their clubs. They are just too good not to play.

Ben Doak was really impressive on his Liverpool u18 debut, Middlesbrough apparently could not deal with him, fans on twitter raving about him but saying should not be playing u18 football. 

Nathan Patterson again has been good for Everton despite their loss.