Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 157 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

21 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

McTominay is an objectively talented player. Like Gilmour, because the team he plays for are going through a rough patch, his deficiencies will be highlighted far more. Not to mention the knock in confidence that brings. We are lucky to have him.

However, McTominay is not an undroppable player. I would say only Robertson, Tierney and McGinn are undroppable. They could be sitting on their team's bench all season and I'd still start them. I think McTominay, like everyone else, has to prove he deserves to be in the first 11 based on form.

Add Gordon to that list. Maybe McGregor too. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

McTominay was the worst of a bad, bad lot. 

Carragher seemed to have a hard on for McTominay yesterday due to a tackle where he won the ball and then his foot skipped over the top and connected with the defender just above the ankle. Could have been a nasty injury but McTominay stayed on his feet, wasnt lunging or anything. Was a yellow at best as confirmed by VAR but because pundits dont know the rules they talk nonsence.

McTominay was ok yesterday. He wasnt responsible for any goal or indeed any other major chances.

The 1st 20 mins when Utd looked good, he did also. After that nobody in a red shirt looked good and the likes of Fred, Fernandes, Sancho etc were all far worse.

26 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Carragher seemed to have a hard on for McTominay yesterday due to a tackle where he won the ball and then his foot skipped over the top and connected with the defender just above the ankle. Could have been a nasty injury but McTominay stayed on his feet, wasnt lunging or anything. Was a yellow at best as confirmed by VAR but because pundits dont know the rules they talk nonsence.

McTominay was ok yesterday. He wasnt responsible for any goal or indeed any other major chances.

The 1st 20 mins when Utd looked good, he did also. After that nobody in a red shirt looked good and the likes of Fred, Fernandes, Sancho etc were all far worse.

I have to say, I find the regular criticism of Scott M. from TV pundits--great players though they may have been in their day--a bit tiring.

Makes me think that this would be a nice move for him if true:
https://sportwitness.co.uk/manchester-united-offer-scott-mctominay-part-shock-deal-sign-midfielder/

56 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

That's the problem though, his lack of involvement in games makes it a lot harder to make mistakes. It's why the best defenders appear to make more mistakes, they want to be involved.

He had less touches of the ball in the first half than any other player on the pitch,considering his position that is unbelievable. It's not a one of either, Fred and an aging Matic more often than not see more of the ball than he does. Neither of them are up to much mind you which brings the "if he was playing beside the right players" argument into play

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

I have to say, I find the regular criticism of Scott M. from TV pundits--great players though they may have been in their day--a bit tiring.

Makes me think that this would be a nice move for him if true:
https://sportwitness.co.uk/manchester-united-offer-scott-mctominay-part-shock-deal-sign-midfielder/

Any Italian speakers?:
https://www.juvedipendenza.net/2022/08/07/calciomercato-juventus-pista-rabiot-signora/

Nope - here's a shit translate from Google!

Juve are trying to strengthen the team more and more for the next championship, which is why Rabiot is no longer part of the squad.

For some years now there have been many Juventus players who have not managed to perform according to expectations, but one of those who undoubtedly did not know in any way to show his great talent was Adrien Rabiot , a player who by now it really seems to be out of the black and white plans.

When you buy a player on a free transfer basis, the risk that he may not live up to expectations is always very high, because the doubt as to why the company he belongs to has let him go without a shot being hurt is always around the corner.

Adrien Rabiot has amply demonstrated that he cannot be a suitable player for big stages, with his performance at Paris Saint Germain which had already been extremely negative with the French who had made him leave without any kind of problem, without forgetting how also at Juve he absolutely did not return.

From this point it becomes absolutely essential to sell him, with some within the management who however seem to have put him out of the market following the injury of Paul Pogba , but the diagnosis that will lead him to stay out only five weeks and above all the growth more and more exponential number of young bianconeri does not change the prospects at all.

Rabiot is on the market and is no longer absolutely part of Juventus' future project , with his idea of football that is extremely anarchic and little devoted to tactics that has made him really a weak point of the team during the championship course, for this reason it will be really fundamental. be able to find a new accommodation.

The hope is to be able to improve more and more the reality of the midfield with the Premier League which would really seem the perfect championship for the Frenchman, for this reason we are increasingly trying to be able to find an agreement with Manchester United in order to arrive. to Scott McTominay .

The Red Deviles are another team with a glorious name but certainly with a very complicated present, for this reason it will not be absolutely easy to be able to improve more and more, with Rabiot who could however be a possible owner.

Rabiot towards Manchester United and hope McTominay

Undoubtedly Adrien Rabiot could be a very suitable player for English football , especially considering how his qualities perfectly represent the type of British football.

The qualities are clear and evident in the eyes of all, but at the same time there is also a clear inability to be disciplined from a tactical point of view, which has always limited him and not a little within Italian football, while McTominay it could really be essential.

The Scotsman is in fact a player who prefers the midfield, but at the same time he has shown that he is also very skilled in the defensive phase, proving to be one of the best full-backs in the entire Premier League which would allow him to be able to grow to the point of to be indispensable for Allegri.

Manchester United's offer could be sent back to the sender, but at the same time the hope is to be able to close the deal in a short time possible in order to allow McTominay to settle in the best possible way within the Italian league, one of those really very different from England, for this reason a really great job from Max Allegri will be needed.

Roy Keane slating McTominay:-

Speaking about the double pivot, Keane told Sky Sports: “The decision making and the football intelligence, in particular from Fred – and I’ve said this for a long time – Fred and McTominay are not good enough. They won’t get Manchester United back competing at the top.

“We see it week in, week out. [They are] not up to it.”

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Roy Keane slating McTominay:-

Speaking about the double pivot, Keane told Sky Sports: “The decision making and the football intelligence, in particular from Fred – and I’ve said this for a long time – Fred and McTominay are not good enough. They won’t get Manchester United back competing at the top.

“We see it week in, week out. [They are] not up to it.”

A bit like Keane himself - zero footballing intelligence shown in that 'analysis'. Vague and cliched with no evidence presented. He may be right, but he can't say why he is.

28 minutes ago, borojock said:

Yes in Italian the direct quote translates to - "God no this cant be true on no god please not McTominay anybody but McTominay how far have we fallen to be linked with this player god please say this isnt true" 

😀

4 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

A bit like Keane himself - zero footballing intelligence shown in that 'analysis'. Vague and cliched with no evidence presented. He may be right, but he can't say why he is.

Roy Keane's job these days is to be Roy Keane, the hard man who "tells it like it is".

Like you say, he might be right about McTominay and Fred (though since Fred has 27 caps for Brazil, possibly not) but he offers no explanation or insight, he's just 'Keano', telling-it-like-it-is.

He was a top player in his day but his planet-sized ego and total lack of empathy meant he was doomed to fail as a manager and a coach so he's reduced to playing his wee hard man act on Sky Sports. He's a fanny.

On 8/7/2022 at 11:50 PM, syecosse said:

Dire Mebude 18 has stepped up into the Man city u23s permanently it seems, Prem 2, and scored a double in the opening game against Liverpool u23s, was best player in the u18 league last year. 

Another one I'll be watching closely. Don't think older bro Dapo will be good enough but Dire seems like he might well be. Let's hope he is significantly better than the last player from Scottish/Nigerian decent to play for us 😂

7 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Another one I'll be watching closely. Don't think older bro Dapo will be good enough but Dire seems like he might well be. Let's hope he is significantly better than the last player from Scottish/Nigerian decent to play for us 😂

Iwelumo fully deserved his call up at the time. The miss was a freak event. You probably don't also know that he twice turned down call ups from Nigeria because he was determined to play for Scotland one day.

Btw Anya is half Nigerian and he is a more recent call up than Iwelumo, played his heart out for Scotland too.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Iwelumo fully deserved his call up at the time. The miss was a freak event. You probably don't also know that he twice turned down call ups from Nigeria because he was determined to play for Scotland one day.

Btw Anya is half Nigerian and he is a more recent call up than Iwelumo, played his heart out for Scotland too.

Sadly, though fans will only remember him for 'that miss'. Some, you get the feeling, think he did it deliberately as ludicrous as that sounds. 

13 hours ago, scotlad said:

Roy Keane's job these days is to be Roy Keane, the hard man who "tells it like it is".

Like you say, he might be right about McTominay and Fred (though since Fred has 27 caps for Brazil, possibly not) but he offers no explanation or insight, he's just 'Keano', telling-it-like-it-is.

He was a top player in his day but his planet-sized ego and total lack of empathy meant he was doomed to fail as a manager and a coach so he's reduced to playing his wee hard man act on Sky Sports. He's a fanny.

They mentioned the gap between the forwards and defenders being massive then somehow blame the centre midfield who spend games chasing shadows.  McTominay may not be top 4 but Kante and Kante would be blowing out their arse.  

The wingers not tracking back or offering enough going forward is surely an issue when Brighton's wingback scores twice. 

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Agreed on all points. 

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed on all points. 

Was trying to find a video of Ikechi Anya's goal against Germany. I remember it was a brillaint counter-attack with Anya finishing superbly past, I think, Manual Neuer? I just remember it being a top goal!

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sadly, though fans will only remember him for 'that miss'. Some, you get the feeling, think he did it deliberately as ludicrous as that sounds. 

It was an absolute fkin howler though! 😂  I don't think I've ever seen a worse one.  He got 2 or 3 caps after that game and I've never been as desperate to see a player score for Scotland.  Sadly not to be though and for those of us who were there (and celebrating for a full minute before saying, "WTF do ye mean he missed?!") it's well nigh impossible not to think of that incident when you hear his name.

57 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Was trying to find a video of Ikechi Anya's goal against Germany. I remember it was a brillaint counter-attack with Anya finishing superbly past, I think, Manual Neuer? I just remember it being a top goal!