Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 155 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A lot of reports in the last few days have been linking him with a loan move to Everton.

I think he needs a move somewhere with the likes of Gallagher now getting game time for them.

I suspect his chelsea career is over , Everton are a dreadful side not sure what would be in it for gilmour he is not creative player and that’s what Everton need.

if he got a hard time at Norwich he would be destroyed at Everton. 

20 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Burnley would be a decent option imo. Good chance they go back up and i think a season in the championship would do him good before stepping up to the epl. Hes still quite inexperienced considering hes 27 and i think the epl could be too big a leap for him.

If he does go to Burnley, he'll have one of the best centre halves of recent years as his boss.

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Season starts and Gilmour is in limbo, quite worrying

Defence is a bit of a worry too. No sign of Cooper for Leeds today or Souttar again for Rangers (I assume they're both injured) plus Hendry is still in the dog house at Bruges.

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I think he needs a move somewhere with the likes of Gallagher now getting game time for them.

I suspect his chelsea career is over , Everton are a dreadful side not sure what would be in it for gilmour he is not creative player and that’s what Everton need.

if he got a hard time at Norwich he would be destroyed at Everton. 

Eh?? That's exactly what Gilmour is, he's a playmaker!

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Defence is a bit of a worry too. No sign of Cooper for Leeds today or Souttar again for Rangers (I assume they're both injured) plus Hendry is still in the dog house at Bruges.

John Souttar's brother recently passed away after a battle with motor neurone disease so that will sadly explain his absence. 

Edited by alkymalky

7 minutes ago, alkymalky said:

John Souttar's brother recently passed away after a battle with motor neurone disease so that will sadly explain his absence. 

Terrible. What an awful disease.

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Cooper is listed as injured. Achilles’ tendon injury apparently, not long term.

19 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Probably be McKenna KT and Souttar. Cooper if he’s fit though. 

33 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Cannot see much on Scott Mckenna today on his prem debut, not shouting for him to be called up but Jason Kerr was outstanding for Wigan against Norwich in his first Champ. Appearance, we have a lot of regular CBs at this level that could come in if needed and are worth keeping an eye out if they do well for example Wallace Millwall, Hyam and Rose Coventry or Mcintyre Reading, also Naismith I think is mostly playing as a defender now at Bristol after an outstanding season at Luton. 

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Cannot see much on Scott Mckenna today on his prem debut, not shouting for him to be called up but Jason Kerr was outstanding for Wigan against Norwich in his first Champ. Appearance, we have a lot of regular CBs at this level that could come in if needed and are worth keeping an eye out if they do well for example Wallace Millwall, Hyam and Rose Coventry or Mcintyre Reading, also Naismith I think is mostly playing as a defender now at Bristol after an outstanding season at Luton. 

Probably the most depressing post I have seen on here. Only McIntyre has any real room for improvement the rest are mediocre at best.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

10 hours ago, syecosse said:

I watched the Newcastle forest highlights, mckeens did fine and its his first match it this level.

Not sure if I'm understanding your post or not but are you advocating playing lower league centre backs before mckenna?

41 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I watched the Newcastle forest highlights, mckeens did fine and its his first match it this level.

Not sure if I'm understanding your post or not but are you advocating playing lower league centre backs before mckenna?

No, the Mckenna comment was purely that I could not find anything about how he got on in the match at the time, not that any of the other players Mentioned should be ahead of him. 

59 minutes ago, syecosse said:

No, the Mckenna comment was purely that I could not find anything about how he got on in the match at the time, not that any of the other players Mentioned should be ahead of him. 

Yeah, it's good that there are a few more options that could be back up, but I think we should all be quite excited that we have another CB playing in the premier league. He's already got 26 caps and is still only 25. I think he's the obvious successor to Hanley. 

If we could create a partnership with Tierney, McKenna and Souttar, we could use easily use those 3 for the next 5+ years. That would be a solid foundation to build from.

14 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

He has never created anything he is a defensive holding type midfielder 

I'm with Scotlad on this. From what I've seen Gilmour is tidy in possession so is perfectly capable of being a deep lying midfielder or playing a more forward creative role.

Edited by Hertsscot

14 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

McTominay starts for Man Utd.

Hickey starts (at right back) for Brentford.

Its amazing how quickly things change in football a couple of seasons ago best we could do at RB was S. O'Donnell with no real cover now we have two right backs starting in the PL (appreciate its only the first game of the season). All we need now is a superstar young goalie and a couple of young strikers 

If we were to play 4-4-2 (not suggesting we should just to make a point) arguably our best 2 LB & RB all 4 are starting in the PL 

Not too shabby 

16 hours ago, alkymalky said:

Aw no, I didn't know that. That's terrible. 🙁

16 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Terrible. What an awful disease.

Cooper is listed as injured. Achilles’ tendon injury apparently, not long term.

About as bad as diseases get. 🙁

15 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Season starts and Gilmour is in limbo, quite worrying

agreed. Hopefully he'll get the rumoured move to Everton?

Wherever he goes, he's had a horrible "pre-season": traipsing out to California, for zero-minutes of playing time before being jettisoned from the Chelsea first team.

I'm sure Billy Gilmour is professional and confident enough to take it in his stride. But it's not an ideal situation for any young player.

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Probably the most depressing post I have seen on here. Only McIntyre has any real room for improvement the rest are mediocre at best.

You're must be joking, for this place that was a feel-good post! 🤣

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm with Scotlad on this. From what I've seen Gilmour is tidy in possession so is perfectly capable of being a deep lying midfielder or playing a more forward creative role.

Thanks 👍

Never in a month of Sundays is Gilmour a defensive midfielder and if that's how some of the coaches he's played under see him then no wonder his progress is stalling.

Gilmour can tackle but he doesn't have the physicality to be a defensive midfielder, and frankly he'd be wasted in that role. He's much better when he's carrying the ball forward and trying to dictate the tempo of the game. To me, he looks like he could play as Modric/Pirlo deep-lying playmaker or even a number 10.