Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 154 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Jack was poor for Rangers yesterday. Hopefully it was an off night, and he will rediscover his form. But if not I suggest Tierney, Hickey or Souttar for midfield holding role. Although not their natural position I would have no problem with any of the 3, especially since Tierney is far too good to leave out, and Hickey arguably so. For away games against top sides, maybe play back 3, hitting on the counter, so long as Tierney is one of the 3. Otherwise I prefer flat back 4 with holding midfielder, as otherwise our midfield gets overwhelmed, as against Ukraine and Ireland. 

On 8/3/2022 at 9:42 PM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Was thinking similar. Was it him that made the run from deep right mid through centre mid for the Anthony Gordon chance? If it was he had one decent intervention.

One section of play that caught my eye was from 00:45. He's high up the pitch on the right, moving to make himself available. Eventually gets the ball and plays a quick one-two before attempting a left-footed cross (blocked). There are a few examples other--albeit very short--examples of decent movement off the ball, I thought.

Yes, poor attempted clearance at 03:45 (not sure what he was trying there? Amazed it didn't lead to a goal.)

But you were right Scots_Wha_Hae. 06:02 the neat interplay just before Anthony Gordon's chance featured Nathan Patterson.

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Middleton scores a beautiful goal for dundee united. 

I’m still not sure how good he is. Any time he played for the u21s I thought he was extremely limited, but Archie Gemmill inexplicably played him as a traditional centre forward and had the defenders lump balls toward him for his massive 5 ft 9 frame to win headers and hold up so I’m definitely prepared to say I might be mistaken! I didn’t see him much for St Johnstone, can anyone else offer an opinion on his ceiling? 

48 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I’m still not sure how good he is. Any time he played for the u21s I thought he was extremely limited, but Archie Gemmill inexplicably played him as a traditional centre forward and had the defenders lump balls toward him for his massive 5 ft 9 frame to win headers and hold up so I’m definitely prepared to say I might be mistaken! I didn’t see him much for St Johnstone, can anyone else offer an opinion on his ceiling? 

Potential to be a good Scottish Prem level player which will be enough to get into Scotland squads but doesnt have the potential to be the type of player to take Scotland to the next level or indeed keep them at the level they are at.

By that I mean that I cant see him becoming better than the likes of Armstrong or McGinn.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Potential to be a good Scottish Prem level player which will be enough to get into Scotland squads but doesnt have the potential to be the type of player to take Scotland to the next level or indeed keep them at the level they are at.

By that I mean that I cant see him becoming better than the likes of Armstrong or McGinn.

No but we are short of goalscoring wingers since the demise of the likes of Forrest and he can also take a decent free kick.

We do not play any wingers.

We play a very narrow 5-3-2 with the only width coming from the WBs.

We have 3 CMs and two forwards.

We have no option for Forrest, Middleton, Fraser, Gauld, Christie and others playing in their natural wide positions.

It is why we have to try and incorporate Fraser and Christie into support players behind a CF.....

11 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

We have no option for Forrest, Middleton, Fraser, Gauld, Christie and others playing in their natural wide positions.

It is why we have to try and incorporate Fraser and Christie into support players behind a CF.....

The complete howler euros and recent matches should be enough to see the formation change. Unfortunately it probably won’t change sadly 

3 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Whilst we can and have played a 532, I think our best formation in recent years has been 5221.

In this formation players like McGinn, Armstrong and Christie (Gauld) can play in their natural positon of an advanced CM.

I agree that means that natural wingers such as Fraser and Forrest (Middleton) cant play in their natural position but both Fraser and Forrest have shown that they can offer something off the striker aswell so doesnt preclude them from the squad.

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Jack hendry not even in the match squad for club brugge tonight. Is he injured or just out of favour? Currently its 1-1. Maybe hes best moving on if hes not going to get games.

Reports that Burnley had a bid rejected for him a few days ago.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Reports that Burnley had a bid rejected for him a few days ago.

Burnley would be a decent option imo. Good chance they go back up and i think a season in the championship would do him good before stepping up to the epl. Hes still quite inexperienced considering hes 27 and i think the epl could be too big a leap for him.