Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 149 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I count 35 Scottish players who either played at least one minute in either one of the Big Five leagues (England, France, Germany, Italy or Spain) or a UEFA competition, with a further 20 being on the bench at least once without coming on.

Fifteen played in at least a third of minute in one of those leagues: McGinn, Hanley, Hickey, McLean, Robertson, McTominay, Adams, Henderson, Tierney, Gilmour, Cooper, Armstrong, Fraser, McArthur and Ritchie.

Two players were relegated: Hanley and McLean (Gilmour did but he'll return to Chelsea). Three were promoted: McKenna, Christie and Cairney.

Of those in the second level of European leagues (not including ours) or the US: an additional six players played (or have played in the case of those in the MLS) over a third of minutes this season - Johnny Russell, Lewis Morgan, Danny Wilson, Lawrence Shankland, Ryan Gauld and Jack Hendry. Stevie Mallan (Yeni Malatyaspor, Turkey), Stuart Findlay (Philadelphia) and Frank Ross (Go Ahead Eagles, Netherlands) also have minutes to their names, with only the former playing more than 90 minutes. Shankland and Mallan were relegated.

34 played in the English Championship, with 21 playing at least a third of minutes.

4 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I count 35 Scottish players who either played at least one minute in either one of the Big Five leagues (England, France, Germany, Italy or Spain) or a UEFA competition, with a further 20 being on the bench at least once without coming on.

Fifteen played in at least a third of minute in one of those leagues: McGinn, Hanley, Hickey, McLean, Robertson, McTominay, Adams, Henderson, Tierney, Gilmour, Cooper, Armstrong, Fraser, McArthur and Ritchie.

Two players were relegated: Hanley and McLean (Gilmour did but he'll return to Chelsea). Three were promoted: McKenna, Christie and Cairney.

Of those in the second level of European leagues (not including ours) or the US: an additional six players played (or have played in the case of those in the MLS) over a third of minutes this season - Johnny Russell, Lewis Morgan, Danny Wilson, Lawrence Shankland, Ryan Gauld and Jack Hendry. Stevie Mallan (Yeni Malatyaspor, Turkey), Stuart Findlay (Philadelphia) and Frank Ross (Go Ahead Eagles, Netherlands) also have minutes to their names, with only the former playing more than 90 minutes. Shankland and Mallan were relegated.

34 played in the English Championship, with 21 playing at least a third of minutes.

Do you mean a third of a game?

53 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Sorry - I meant a third of the total minutes possible (equivalent to playing around 13 complete matches out of 38).

Cheers.👍

I knew it was a typo, just couldn't work out what the typo was.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Another goal for morgan in the cup. Thats 9 goals in 19 apps this season. Not bad for a winger. Hopefully clarke considers him for the september games. We need players who score goals and morgan deserves a chance based on his form. 

It would be nice to change formation and utilise some of the decent wingers we have.

Sadly in the present formation which blatantly doesn’t work anymore, we don’t need wingers. 

12 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It would be nice to change formation and utilise some of the decent wingers we have.

Sadly in the present formation which blatantly doesn’t work anymore, we don’t need wingers. 

Do we have any decent wingers? Apart from fraser who never turns up and morgan theres not much else. Maybe forrest as well but it doesnt leave much room for injuries and rotation. Maybe we could play 433 with morgan being one of the forwards. 442 is not much of an option unless we choose to stick guys like armstrong or christie out wide when a proper winger like morgan/fraser isnt available.

Even when we did have good wingers we rarely played them. Davie cooper for example.

you don’t need wingers.  I prefer bruisers right across the middle of the park to make us stuffy and difficult to beat.

Bring a winger on if you are chasing the game or against minnows.

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Even when we did have good wingers we rarely played them. Davie cooper for example.

you don’t need wingers.  I prefer bruisers right across the middle of the park to make us stuffy and difficult to beat.

Bring a winger on if you are chasing the game or against minnows.

Thanks Mr Gemmill. 

On 6/30/2022 at 8:13 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Do we have any decent wingers? Apart from fraser who never turns up and morgan theres not much else. Maybe forrest as well but it doesnt leave much room for injuries and rotation. Maybe we could play 433 with morgan being one of the forwards. 442 is not much of an option unless we choose to stick guys like armstrong or christie out wide when a proper winger like morgan/fraser isnt available.

Scott Wright is a good winger too. He should have been in the last squad. Morgan possibly should have too but Clarke seems to have little interest in picking players from far flung leagues. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Scott Wright is a good winger too. He should have been in the last squad. Morgan possibly should have too but Clarke seems to have little interest in picking players from far flung leagues. 

Scott Wright had a good few games at the end of the season, particularly the Europa League final and Scottish Cup final, but over the course of the season he was horrendous and a lot of Rangers fans didn't want him near the team (wife and in-laws are big Rangers fans so I saw too much of them last season unfortunately) so he's nowhere near good enough for a call up yet imo.  If his form from the last few weeks of the season continues then that could change.

Morgan, I can't figure out if he's actually that good that he should be called up or not.  The football from the MLS is certainly entertaining but that's because it's drummed into the clubs from the League that it's about entertainment value just as much as winning, so they're encouraged to attack rather than defend.  I don't really remember Morgan being all that effective against teams that came to Celtic Park and sat deep to soak up pressure so he may just be benefitting from shite defending.

9 hours ago, kwhitelaw said:

Scott Wright had a good few games at the end of the season, particularly the Europa League final and Scottish Cup final, but over the course of the season he was horrendous and a lot of Rangers fans didn't want him near the team (wife and in-laws are big Rangers fans so I saw too much of them last season unfortunately) so he's nowhere near good enough for a call up yet imo.  If his form from the last few weeks of the season continues then that could change.

Morgan, I can't figure out if he's actually that good that he should be called up or not.  The football from the MLS is certainly entertaining but that's because it's drummed into the clubs from the League that it's about entertainment value just as much as winning, so they're encouraged to attack rather than defend.  I don't really remember Morgan being all that effective against teams that came to Celtic Park and sat deep to soak up pressure so he may just be benefitting from shite defending.

Morgan never really got a proper run of games for Celtic. Rangers could do with a player like him. 

Big season ahead for Wright. I get the feeling he could really come to the fore. He does seem to be a confidence player, so maybe the cup final will prove to be a turning point.  

Morgan with another goal and an assist in the last 2 games. Thats 10 in 20 for him this season. Good stats for a winger. I think he more than deserves a call up in September if he keeps this going. We need goalscorers and guys who can make things happen. 

Wouldnt be surprised if some teams in europe might try and buy him. He must be one of the top performers in the mls and still only 25.

9 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Two goals for Burke on his debut for Werder Bremen. 

Its only a friendly but thats good news. Would be nice to see him finally settle somewhere and start living up to some of his potential even if its just becoming a lower half bundesliga player. 

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its only a friendly but thats good news. Would be nice to see him finally settle somewhere and start living up to some of his potential even if its just becoming a lower half bundesliga player. 

Absolutely. He could make such a difference to our team if he could get his game together. He has shown enough in certain moments to show he can do it. Hopefully the Germans can sort him out. 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Absolutely. He could make such a difference to our team if he could get his game together. He has shown enough in certain moments to show he can do it. Hopefully the Germans can sort him out. 

I don’t believe he can make much or any difference.

Hes a very average player with an unbelievable agent seemingly.