Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 146 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Stewart surely got to get a call up.

Nathan Broadhead got a Wales call up and he's only on the bench for Sunderland today.

Edit; Forgot he was in the March squad.

Due to our lack of strikers and even proper target men Stewart surely gets in the squad to give us a different option. 

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Do we have any Sunderland fans on here, only ones I talk to at the online poker tables say he is pretty average and the phrase "lol" is used a lot when I suggest a Scotland call up.

Lol tough crowd. 27 goals in 53 games is not good enough for them. Going by their message board hes well liked and rated highly.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Do we have any Sunderland fans on here, only ones I talk to at the online poker tables say he is pretty average and the phrase "lol" is used a lot when I suggest a Scotland call up.

Sounds more like they are looking at it from an England fan viewpoint. Perhaps find Scottish Sunderland fans to ask. By that I mean England fans would mock the idea of a League One/Championship player representing them. But being realistic they have far better options than us up front hence why such a selection for them is a no no.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sounds more like they are looking at it from an England fan viewpoint. Perhaps find Scottish Sunderland fans to ask. By that I mean England fans would mock the idea of a League One/Championship player representing them. But being realistic they have far better options than us up front hence why such a selection for them is a no no.

I am pretty sure the english sunderland fans understand that theres a gulf between scotland and england when it comes to strikers. They probably dont realise how big a gulf there is and assume that we would have better options than a league 1 striker.

Sadly we dont have better options and a guy who scores 27 goals in league 1 is someone we have to consider.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol tough crowd. 27 goals in 53 games is not good enough for them. Going by their message board hes well liked and rated highly.

Sunderland are the biggest side outside of the EPL and the supporters probably think they should have EPL class players all over the field.

Will be interesting to see how he does next year, but league 1 goals are pretty meaningless.

As you will have guessed I am a fan of stats sites and who scored have him as the third best player in the league, Best player there is 32 year old and 64 times capped Welshman Sam Vokes.

I just don't see how a player at 25 can suddenly become an international class striker, I'd sooner play someone up front out of position than risk a league 1 player.

28 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sunderland are the biggest side outside of the EPL and the supporters probably think they should have EPL class players all over the field.

Will be interesting to see how he does next year, but league 1 goals are pretty meaningless.

As you will have guessed I am a fan of stats sites and who scored have him as the third best player in the league, Best player there is 32 year old and 64 times capped Welshman Sam Vokes.

I just don't see how a player at 25 can suddenly become an international class striker, I'd sooner play someone up front out of position than risk a league 1 player.

Good post. I agree with you, certain players can look like the best finishers but it's sometimes because of the league they play in and the opposition. League 1 is miles off international football, especially the level scotland are about to play

Wales and Ukraine have world class footballers, its not wycombe

Edited by vanderark14

36 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Jamie Vardy was still at Fleetwood Town at 25, which was Non League  

Edited by euan2020

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There's always going to be an exception or two 

i only needed 1 to prove the point - not 2

+ he was working in a factory 

There is lots of examples - John Aldridge was still at Oxford @ 28 before LIverpool, and didnt debut for Ireland until 27  = @ 25 he was playing 3rd Division with Newport & Oxford  

Duncan Shearer was 29 before he came to a "Top TIier" Club and debut'd for Scotland @ 31 

sure John McGinlay is in there for discussion as well  - 25 he was at Elgin City and debut at 30  

Edited by euan2020

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

i only needed 1 to prove the point - not 2

+ he was working in a factory 

There is lots of examples - John Aldridge was still at Oxford @ 28 before LIverpool, and didnt debut for Ireland until 27  = @ 25 he was playing 3rd Division with Newport & Oxford  

Duncan Shearer was 29 before he came to a "Top TIier" Club and debut'd for Scotland @ 31 

sure John McGinlay is in there for discussion as well  - 25 he was at Elgin City and debut at 

This doesn't prove the point and wouldn't justify calling up Stewart.

Would England have considered calling up vary when he was at Fleetwood? Nope..

Would you call up an Elgin city player for Scotland? Np you wouldn't

To be clear here, I am not completely against stewart ever being called up but at this time it's too big a gamble to do so. 

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

This doesn't prove the point and wouldn't justify calling up Stewart.

Would England have considered calling up vary when he was at Fleetwood? Nope..

Would you call up an Elgin city player for Scotland? Np you wouldn't

To be clear here, I am not completely against stewart ever being called up but at this time it's too big a gamble to do so. 

point was not about Stewart - point was  "just don't see how a player at 25 can suddenly become an international class striker"  players at that age and beyond became internationals when at 25 they were in low level clubs  - the discussion was around the age 

Edited by euan2020

Just now, euan2020 said:

point was not about Stewart - point was " can a  player at 25 can suddenly become an international class striker"  players at that age and beyond became internationals when at 25 they were in low level clubs 

In that case we are in agreement 

I just don't believe now is the time to call him up 

A blind man can see though that England are on a different level all together than us striker-wise. They have plenty of options up front and have done for a long, long time.

We are talking about Scotland here and the options open to us striker-wise. Stewart comes into the equation for his goalscoring ratio. And let's remember Northern Ireland's record international scorer David Healy who has more goals than our record scorer Kenny Dalglish could muster in more games. He predominantly played the majority of his career in lower League football.

I am not saying get him in the side but we must be realistic - outside of Adams, Dykes, Christie, Fraser and Brown there are no other contenders for a place in the squad.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Hi. Scottish Sunderland fan here, happy to answer your questions having been at the game yesterday.  Ross Stewart is an excellent player and absolutely can play for Scotland.  He’s been carrying our front line for the majority of the season as Broadhead, who is also excellent, is very injury prone.  I saw NB is in the wales squad but I wouldn’t be too concerned, he’s not fit and his cameo yesterday replacing Stewart was pretty poor, he looked unfit. He’s a great lad though.

Back to us, the poster is quite correct, we are the biggest team outside the EPL currently, we had 50k fans yesterday which sold out in 2 days.  We will have some money to spend which we’ll need to but I wouldn’t expect us to be in danger of relegation and in a couple of years we should be challenging for promotion.  The issue is always parachute payments which gives the relegated teams a huge competitive advantage, but Luton showed anything is possible.

There’s always been a decent link between Scotland and Sunderland, and will Alex Neil in charge I hope we can also add a few more Scots to our side next year.  We will average somewhere between 35k to 40k next season so a decent budget.

Ross Stewart has some fabulous attributes, he is obviously great in the air but, much like Niall Quinn, he’s very underrated holding up the ball, bringing other players in and his finishing is very clinical.  He’s the type of player that could do it at a higher level, for sure Steve Clarke would want to see that consistently before considering him, and that’s fair enough.  Plenty of players score goals in lower leagues but struggle as the team progresses. I’m confident Stewart won’t be one of those but let’s see.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Also worth pointing out that people are clambering for Jacob Brown's inclusion yet he has never played top flight football unlike Ross Stewart who actually does not have a too shabby record of a goal every three games in the SPL.

To be fair to Jacob Brown, Clarke has selected him in recent squad and has turned to him as a late substitute in games. So he clearly rates him. So I would be suprised if Brown isn't named in the squad for the upcoming games.

13 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

To be fair to Jacob Brown, Clarke has selected him in recent squad and has turned to him as a late substitute in games. So he clearly rates him. So I would be suprised if Brown isn't named in the squad for the upcoming games.

Yes Brown will be in the squad but his credentials are no better than Stewart's.

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

In that case we are in agreement 

I just don't believe now is the time to call him up 

Iirc Stewart was in the last squad, for Poland and Austria.

He didn't get on 

But he was called up 

He will be in the squad tomorrow. And could play a part in one of the Armenia games