Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 143 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

52 minutes ago, darkbluegas said:

I know it’s been mentioned in the past but anyone any idea where Elliot (Billy) Anderson’s future lies. He’s had a great  half a season at Bristol Rovers, 4th Div I know but is so young he’s clearly got some kind of future at Championship/Premier level.

I think the other question is how committed is he to Scotland. He didn't feature in the last u21 games, hopefully there's a good reason for his absence because the midfield in those matches was not great, particularly against Turkey.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I think the other question is how committed is he to Scotland. He didn't feature in the last u21 games, hopefully there's a good reason for his absence because the midfield in those matches was not great, particularly against Turkey.

Around the time he pulled out of the last U-21 squad newspapers were full of reports of England approaching him? Coincidence? I would like to think so but my head says it is no coincidence.

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I saw it on the SFA's Twitter.

I looked around and there is some info on the local Bournemouth newspaper:-

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/20143784.ryan-christie-joins-early-scotland-duty-ahead-huge-ukraine-clash/

Lets hope that on ending their season other players will join up too. But just to say I take it all three have already been told they will be in the squad?

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/20143784.ryan-christie-joins-early-scotland-duty-ahead-huge-ukraine-clash/

Lets hope that on ending their season other players will join up too. But just to say I take it all three have already been told they will be in the squad?

Good question. It certainly suggests that they will be.

I know I'd be pretty pissed off if, at the end of a long season, I'd travelled all the way from the south of England to Scotland to attend a training camp only to find out my services wouldn't actually be required! 😂

9 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I know I'd be pretty pissed off if, at the end of a long season, I'd travelled all the way from the south of England to Scotland to attend a training camp only to find out my services wouldn't actually be required! 😂

Yes of course but Dykes and Christie are guaranteed to be included. Brown not a certainty but likely.

Guest Scot1
1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

McGinn scores goals where he is. Push him further forward and you risk him scoring less not more. Just look at Scholes at Utd. Ferguson tried it and found out that Scholes was then getting marked whereas he gets his goals from finding positions.

I believe our best formation at the moment has McGinn and 1 other behind and to the side of Adams.

Different types of players, I’d compare Scholes more to Gilmour than McGinn.

But we won’t know unless we try. You maybe right, it might not work, or it may work and we have a top class 2nd striker to build our frontline around. 
In my opinion, at this present time, I think 3/5/1/1 is our best formation, and obviously I think the 1 sitting behind the Centre Forward should be McGinn. 

The art of qualifying has been lost to us for several reasons over the last two decades.

As pointed out we have lacked consistent goalscorers but aside from Denis Law and Kenny Dalglish we've never really had consistent goalscorers but still qualified so it goes deeper than that.

Our defence has leaked goals badly up until recently. And couple that with lacking goalscorers we will inevitably lose more games than we win. Recently, our defence has been shored up and our wins ratio has improved as a result.

Obviously, we need a great goalscorer or three but at present we do not have one but qualification can happen with our current set-up of a tight defence and us being able to score the odd goal or two from various sources.

23 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

A major reason why we havent qualified reguarly in the past 25 years is that we havent had a European class striker.

By that I mean a striker who plays reguarly at a top 4 club in England, Spain or Italy or a top 2 club in Germany or France.

The vast majority of other European clubs have had at least one. 

If Robbie Keane was Scottish I think we would have got to at least 2 other championships.

Tonight will be a chance to see Rory Wilson playing along with the rest of the u17s versus Portugal in the Euro finals (on BBC). He may be an answer for us. I must say I’ve been impressed with his Rangers teammate Robbie Ure, also. A 6ft 4 in striker with a good touch and acceptable pace. Prolific at B team and youth level. There’s also the lad Laidlaw at Hibs. Hopefully one of these players will develop into a good striker. 

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The art of qualifying has been lost to us for several reasons over the last two decades.

As pointed out we have lacked consistent goalscorers but aside from Denis Law and Kenny Dalglish we've never really had consistent goalscorers but still qualified so it goes deeper than that.

Our defence has leaked goals badly up until recently. And couple that with lacking goalscorers we will inevitably lose more games than we win. Recently, our defence has been shored up and our wins ratio has improved as a result.

Obviously, we need a great goalscorer or three but at present we do not have one but qualification can happen with our current set-up of a tight defence and us being able to score the odd goal or two from various sources.

I think that’s a bit harsh on Adams & Dykes.

They are our most potent strikers for a long time, probably only Kenny Miller since the decline of McCoist has been as useful as them up there & I think they are both better players than Kenny Miller.

Adams especially will be huge for us for the next 8-10 years. 

44 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

They are our most potent strikers for a long time, probably only Kenny Miller since the decline of McCoist has been as useful as them up there & I think they are both better players than Kenny Miller.

Much as I like Adams, I hope we don't have to wait that long for a better option. 

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Much as I like Adams, I hope we don't have to wait that long for a better option. 

Lol going by the last twenty years we are lucky that we even have adams. Theres only been 1 other striker whos done ok at epl level and even then he only lasted a 5/6 seasons. That was steven fletcher. Our aim should be to produce some more guys who can cut it at lower half epl teams. If we are waiting for a guy like haaland or lewandowski then we will be possibly be waiting a long time. 

Saying that the law of averages suggests we should one day produce a world class striker but truth is we have probably had 3/4(at most) world class strikers since the 60s. 

Edited by mccaughey85

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Will this squad be bigger then usual considering we have potentially have 5 games over 14 days? I'm not sure if there is a set rule for squad sizes in qualifying windows like it would be for a major tournament.

22 minutes ago, rOsCo2 said:

Will this squad be bigger then usual considering we have potentially have 5 games over 14 days? I'm not sure if there is a set rule for squad sizes in qualifying windows like it would be for a major tournament.

Pretty sure it will, even if we lose to ukraine we will still have another 3 games to play. A squad of 26/27 will be necessary imo.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Sorry I should have been clearer I meant goalscorers prior to Dykes and Adams. Between them they have scored 10 coals in around 40 caps so it is better than past strikers available to us back to Faddy and Miller around 10 years ago or so.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Pretty sure it will, even if we lose to ukraine we will still have another 3 games to play. A squad of 26/27 will be necessary imo.

Agreed. It will have to be a big squad for the amount of matches scheduled. It may even be padded out by the inclusion of Tierney and Patterson in the hope either could be fit enough for the Nations League matches. No chance of making play-offs though.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

He’s having some season. Hopefully they make it and we can see how he gets on next season at a higher level 

I'm only going on reports buy it seems he is one of their better players. I think he will do well, a season in yhe championship was required before stepping up.