Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 142 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

5 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I agree, I think McKenna will become a 1st choice regular starter for Scotland in the near future. 
Forest won 2-1 in Sheffield, it’s my opinion that however wins this match will beat the winner of Luton vs Huddersfield. I think Forest have a great chance of promotion and I’d be happy to see McKenna in the Premiership next season. 

I like McKenna lot, but I don’t see him displacing Tierney. I suppose he could also compete with Hanley for the central spot of the three centre halves. 

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scot1
Just now, er yir macaroon said:

I like McKenna lot, but I don’t see him displacing Tierney. I suppose he could also compete with Hanley for the central spot of the three centre halves. 

I think he will replace Hanley in the middle of the 3 sooner or later. And if we switch to a back 4, it’s really between him and Cooper for the left centre half position. 
Anyway I’m hoping him and Forest get promoted and he gets a chance to play in the Premiership and hopefully the experience will improve him as a player. He’s got all the physical attributes to be a very good centre half and from what I’ve read he’s been solid for Forest this season and possibly their player of the year, so let’s hope this is the start of good times for McKenna’s playing career.

17 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Player of the match and picks up another medal 👍

First name on the teamsheet apparently at the moment which is pretty impressive given she's re-invented herself as a midfielder.  Watched most of the game and even without the goal she was a contender - what an engine she has on her! 

It just seems totally mental given some of the players we have that we missed out on the Euros entirely.  The women's game is in as decent a shape as it has ever been but imagine the boost if we were in a tournament in England! 

18 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

World class strikers are a luxury for most nations. Most small nations dont have one and even alot of big nations as well. 

A major reason why we havent qualified reguarly in the past 25 years is that we havent had a European class striker.

By that I mean a striker who plays reguarly at a top 4 club in England, Spain or Italy or a top 2 club in Germany or France.

The vast majority of other European clubs have had at least one. 

If Robbie Keane was Scottish I think we would have got to at least 2 other championships.

23 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

A major reason why we havent qualified reguarly in the past 25 years is that we havent had a European class striker.

By that I mean a striker who plays reguarly at a top 4 club in England, Spain or Italy or a top 2 club in Germany or France.

If Robbie Keane was Scottish I think we would have got to at least 2 other championships.

I think part of it too is that whoever it was upfront was usually 50 yards away from the rest of the team chasing balls into the channel.  

Reckon if Steven Fletcher was in his prime now he'd add a lot to this quad as his link up play and overall play was decent but he just wasn't very good in the Kenny Miller dog chasing a laser pen role.  

38 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I think part of it too is that whoever it was upfront was usually 50 yards away from the rest of the team chasing balls into the channel.  

Reckon if Steven Fletcher was in his prime now he'd add a lot to this quad as his link up play and overall play was decent but he just wasn't very good in the Kenny Miller dog chasing a laser pen role.  

How the team played was certainly a factor but we have really suffered from not having a top class forward.

You look at countrys like Iceland with Gudjohnsen, Czech with Nedved, Serbia with Dzeco etc. All these teams were elevated greatly by having a top class forward.

We have had top players in the past 25 years but they have all tended to be defensive minded.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

The years Robbie Keane was Scottish our managers were so poor he would have played upfront on his own and would have scored about 11 goals in 93 caps

35 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

How the team played was certainly a factor but we have really suffered from not having a top class forward.

You look at countrys like Iceland with Gudjohnsen, Czech with Nedved, Serbia with Dzeco etc. All these teams were elevated greatly by having a top class forward.

We have had top players in the past 25 years but they have all tended to be defensive minded.

Oh defo - if we had a top class goal scorer like Robbie Keane or Mandzukic it would have probably carried a lot of the deficiancies elsewhere.  ROI could cope without Roy Keane but doubt they would have got as far in tournaments without Robbie Keane.  David Healey carried a pretty poor NI too in their progression.  

Wales basically got carried with an average squad that was reasonably balanced then had the star dust of Bale and Ramsay - without them pair they'd have been struggling qualify like us.

35 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

nedved was midfielder and dzeko was/is bosnian but i get where your coming from.

The big reason i have no doubt is the andy robertson factor in this team as he is one of the leaders in the maybe best team in the world and knows it. He is also maybe best left back in the world and there is no way he is settling for 2nd best. Add to that tierney,mctominay who are big players at big clubs with gilmour macgregor,mcginn all thinking they are as good as the big players at big clubs then thats more half a team of top quality. The other 4 in the team likely know they arent the best and wont play for a really important big club but in the past we have had 9 or 10 of those. In the last 20 years (barren years) we have only had darren fletcher that was at the top of his game and the results show why. 

Now if we had a striker whos a main player for one of the big clubs then your right as added to what we have then it would no doubt propel us forward as everyone can see Bale has done that at Wales but he also has ramsay,2 at spurs and some others at big english clubs that has propelled them to where they are and have been last 6ish years

5 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It just seems totally mental given some of the players we have that we missed out on the Euros entirely.  The women's game is in as decent a shape as it has ever been but imagine the boost if we were in a tournament in England! 

Yep very disappointing to finish third in a relatively easy group, as top seeds as well.

Inability to score when on top in the crunch games proved fatal.

19 hours ago, Scot1 said:

it’s my opinion that whoever wins this match will beat the winner of Luton vs Huddersfield. I think Forest have a great chance of promotion

Bollox 😄😄😄

We're on our way...to the premier league we're on our way.

PS 2 hours to KO & absolutely pissed as a fart already.

PPS Forest are cocky wankers. 

PP whatever S Thanks to Leeds Scum for keeping our seat warm.

And if we lose I'm deleting my account 😄😄😄😄😄

Cometh the Hour 

Jordan Rhodes scores a big big goal for Huddersfield and the fans chanting his name of old 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Seen another dimension to his game tonight by defending set pieces 

36 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Jordan Rhodes with a play off semi final goal. 

Looks like Ryan Fraser back from injury. Maybe a little too late for him to be included in the next squad now. 

I'm presuming the last sentence refers to Fraser rather than Rhodes.

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm presuming the last sentence refers to Fraser rather than Rhodes.

I’d have Rhodes and Fraser both in the next Squad, with it (you hope) being a 28-30 man squad

20 minutes ago, broraboy said:

I’d have Rhodes and Fraser both in the next Squad, with it (you hope) being a 28-30 man squad

Fraser yes but rhodes no. Hes not exactly banging goals in and hes getting old. His form would have to improve massively for him to get another scotland chance especially at his age.

21 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fraser yes but rhodes no. Hes not exactly banging goals in and hes getting old. His form would have to improve massively for him to get another scotland chance especially at his age.

That's putting it mildly, he's scored about 4 goals all season!

5 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Bollox 😄😄😄

You must be in a drunken coma by now. Well done to you boys.

Guest Scot1
6 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Bollox 😄😄😄

Congratulations, hope you enjoyed the game and the result. I’d still say the winner of Forest vs Sheffield will be favourites in the final, but it’s a one off, winner takes all game, anything can happen. 
That’s a lot of smileys in a post from a Yorkshireman. 

Guest Scot1
12 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

We need to push McGinn upfront, playing off a Centre Forward, that’s our best option at getting goals.

Obviously it would be good if we have a top class Centre Forward, but I think if we are set up the right way, we can still score a good amount of goals without one. With the squad we have, the talent available, set up the right way, we will create opportunities against most teams. And a half-decent striker will stick a few of them away. 

7 hours ago, fringo said:

You must be in a drunken coma by now. Well done to you boys.

Indeed...a very sore head this morning. I don't drink that much these days but there's a brilliant loophole in the drink-drive laws in that they don't apply to mobility scooters so I went for it big time yesterday, before & after. I can't totally account for how I got home in all honesty, but being under strict instructions from Mrs H not to overdo it, I'm banking on her swallowing the story that I just had a swift half on the way home 🍺

6 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Congratulations, hope you enjoyed the game and the result. I’d still say the winner of Forest vs Sheffield will be favourites in the final, but it’s a one off, winner takes all game, anything can happen. 
That’s a lot of smileys in a post from a Yorkshireman. 

😁

I think you're probably right (the Blunts are notorious play-off bottlers so I'd expect it to be Forest) but then I wouldn't generally back Town to win anything. Very pleased for Rhodes; that goal was him all over. Just that habit of being in the right place at the right time. He's not getting any younger & has had some very anonymous games for us but I'd be made up if he did get another call-up at some point.

I know it’s been mentioned in the past but anyone any idea where Elliot (Billy) Anderson’s future lies. He’s had a great  half a season at Bristol Rovers, 4th Div I know but is so young he’s clearly got some kind of future at Championship/Premier level.

8 hours ago, Scot1 said:

We need to push McGinn upfront, playing off a Centre Forward, that’s our best option at getting goals.

Obviously it would be good if we have a top class Centre Forward, but I think if we are set up the right way, we can still score a good amount of goals without one. With the squad we have, the talent available, set up the right way, we will create opportunities against most teams. And a half-decent striker will stick a few of them away. 

McGinn scores goals where he is. Push him further forward and you risk him scoring less not more. Just look at Scholes at Utd. Ferguson tried it and found out that Scholes was then getting marked whereas he gets his goals from finding positions.

I believe our best formation at the moment has McGinn and 1 other behind and to the side of Adams.