Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 140 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes early signs very promising for Lowry. I hope we don't mess around playing him at junior levels for a year or two. Integrate him into the full squad say for the games in September.

Into the Scotland squad? Behave haha

Patterson was fast tracked but that is partly because of a lack of options at rwb. We aren't exactly short of attacking midfielders at the moment. September will be far too soon for him.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Patterson was fast tracked but that is partly because of a lack of options at rwb. We aren't exactly short of attacking midfielders at the moment. September will be far too soon for him.

Hmm him or Kenny McLean or Lewis Ferguson for example? And I never said get him in the side but integrate him into the full squad.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

7 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

He won’t be too far off. There’s no one in the squad with that level of raw skill, but of course he still has to fill out and get match experience. A summer can make a big difference for the former. 

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmm him or Kenny McLean or Lewis Ferguson for example? And I never said get him in the side but integrate him into the full squad.

I'm not against calling him up into the squad. I always liked that Strachan called up future prospects to train with the main squad. I'd like to see more of that.

BUT Lowry isn't competing for a place with McLean or Ferguson. He's competing with McGinn, Christie, Fraser, Armstrong and Turnbull. 

Just now, Tartan blood said:

I'm not against calling him up into the squad. I always liked that Strachan called up future prospects to train with the main squad. I'd like to see more of that.

BUT Lowry isn't competing for a place with McLean or Ferguson. He's competing with McGinn, Christie, Fraser, Armstrong and Turnbull. 

Well not Fraser at present who is out of favour with Clarke. Turnbull (lets face it) is not a starter for us anytime soon either so Lowry in the squad is not out of the question. 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well not Fraser at present who is out of favour with Clarke. Turnbull (lets face it) is not a starter for us anytime soon either so Lowry in the squad is not out of the question. 

It's just a matter of time before Fraser is back in the squad. 

Turnbull isn't a starter because of the strong competition ahead of him. He's a top class player. 

Again, I'm not against calling him up, I just don't see Clarke interrupting the squad before the world cup (fingers crossed).

Guest Scot1

Hopefully we will see Lowry, Devine and King get more game time for Rangers next season, and I’m sure if they keep progressing Clarke will start to take notice of them.

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Again, I'm not against calling him up, I just don't see Clarke interrupting the squad before the world cup (fingers crossed).

Yes you are probably right there. Gilmour and Patterson have shown though that integrating youngsters no matter their age pays dividends.

4 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Hopefully we will see Lowry, Devine and King get more game time for Rangers next season, and I’m sure if they keep progressing Clarke will start to take notice of them.

Cole McKinnon has been impressive too and just scored a beauty. It’s good to see young Scottish players making a mark and I think there is a progressive management in place to give them game time. 

Guest Scot1
9 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Cole McKinnon has been impressive too and just scored a beauty. It’s good to see young Scottish players making a mark and I think there is a progressive management in place to give them game time. 

Was a lovely finish. Rangers look like they have some very good youngsters coming through. Can only be good for Scotland.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes you are probably right there. Gilmour and Patterson have shown though that integrating youngsters no matter their age pays dividends.

If he was a GK, RB, or CF, I'd probably be shouting for him to be included in September as well. He's maybe a little bit unfortunate to be playing in a position where we are extremely strong. 

He is another Performance School kid. I'd love even more in the squad. Rangers are really taking advantage of those schools.

33 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

If he was a GK, RB, or CF, I'd probably be shouting for him to be included in September as well. He's maybe a little bit unfortunate to be playing in a position where we are extremely strong. 

A very valid point. 

Ideally, it would be great to see young talented goalkeepers and strikers breaking through as that is what there is a big shortage of for us going forward. It is frustrating how we are strong in some areas but weak in others (back-up wise).

I suppose Rory Wilson is one to watch in coming years. A player with an eye for goal it would seem.

2 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Credit where it’s due, that’s good stuff

What credit are you looking for? 

Yaaaaay for Rangers. They played some young Scots in a total dead rubber. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m fairly sure he’s doing very well in the Bayern u23s. He’ll make it somewhere at a high level, I’ve no doubt of that. 

Morrison, like Lowry, plays in a position where we have a lot of international quality options. So there is no need for us to rush them into the fold. So, the likes of Morrison, King, Doak, Lowry and Hepburn can take their time.

We're all a little bit more impatient than we should be with Patterson, Hickey and Ramsay because of the position they play. In reality, 18-20 year olds aren't usually expected to be breaking into national teams. 

We have a huge amount of talent coming through. We just need to give them time.

39 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Haha! I’m no Rangers lover. Quite the opposite. But good to see a few talented young Scots get a game, even if a dead rubber. Seems like they did well, so maybe they’ll get more game time in future. In general, there seems to be a lot of positivity about young Scottish players right now. 

46 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

They played 5 18/19 year old Scots and 3 non scot youngsters and beat a strong hearts team.

Regardless of the club, playing that many teenagers and them doing well is impressive. Especially when you consider Rangers of the past (even just the last manager) would never, ever do that. Gerrard used to think giving one  young lad 30 minutes in a dead rubber as a prize to the youth team.

I'd say the same if it was Celtic, Aberdeen or Dundee United. Who did this.

Dundee United Deserve so much credit for how much they've given youth a chance.

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

He is another Performance School kid. I'd love even more in the squad. Rangers are really taking advantage of those schools.

Performance school is a massive help. The big change however is playing in the lowland league. 

Instead of going out on loan to lower league clubs who (with no disrespect) don't have access to the same level of facilities, coaches, sports scientists and fitness coaches, they are staying and playing under those while playing the same style as the first team in the lowland league. Rangers play the same style all the way through the different age groups.

While the lowland league isn't as good a standard as the championship or league 1. It is still a good level with many clubs who would excel in league 2. It provides tough physical mens games where these lads still have to try and win. There is pressure but not at the same degree and allows these lads to play the mistakes out of their game.

The previous promising players didn't have this season in the lowland league and it showed when they went out on loan. Would McPake, Kennedy, Mebude, Maxwell, etc be in a better position now had they gotten this year in the lowland league at 17-19.

Some of these young lads will probably still have to go out on loan to hopefully continue their development but they will be a lot better prepared for it than the previous generation. 

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

Guest Scot1
35 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Morrison, like Lowry, plays in a position where we have a lot of international quality options. So there is no need for us to rush them into the fold. So, the likes of Morrison, King, Doak, Lowry and Hepburn can take their time.

We're all a little bit more impatient than we should be with Patterson, Hickey and Ramsay because of the position they play. In reality, 18-20 year olds aren't usually expected to be breaking into national teams. 

We have a huge amount of talent coming through. We just need to give them time.

Good post, I am prone to impatience. It’s very important not to rush these youngsters both physically and mentally. And as you’ve mentioned with the players we now have in the 1st team squad, there’s really no reason to be pushing them too quickly. The last thing we want to do is have talented youngsters ruining themselves physically before they’ve even fully developed ie Michael Owen, and to a lesser extent Kieran Tierney.

Edited by Scot1