Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 138 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

3 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Whenever I’ve seen Lowry, he does look special. 

Disappointing Ramsey who is likely to be off in a few weeks started ahead of Lowry in what is essentially a dead rubber. Especially disappointing given Lowry was substantially better than Ramsey in his short time on the pitch.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scot1
9 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Disappointing Ramsey who is likely to be off in a few weeks started ahead of Lowry in what is essentially a dead rubber. Especially disappointing given Lowry was substantially better than Ramsey in his short time on the pitch.

He reminds me of Ian Durrant in the way he plays the game, he seems to play with the same freedom, gallusness.

2 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I think Lowry is playing the glasgow cup final tomorrow that'll probably be his big send off into the first team.

I think Ramsey started to try and get him fit for the Europa League final. I'd argue Arfield was the bigger waste starting. Lowry and Ramsey showed some lovely link play together when they were on the park together.

Wednesday I think a few more regulars will start to keep fitness levels for the final but I think there is a good chance away to Hearts we will see quite a few more academy lads.

Arfield is a strange (but not unexpected re-signing). He is 33 now and 34 in November. At best he is a fringe player currently. Surely it would be better to save the cash and use it elsewhere. Even on reduced terms I cant imagine he is very cheap.

Signings like this is part of the reason why players like Lowry struggle to break through. Arfield wont start very often in the league but will be expecting game time off the bench (to see out games) and in the early rounds of the cup.

10 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Arfield is a strange (but not unexpected re-signing). He is 33 now and 34 in November. At best he is a fringe player currently. Surely it would be better to save the cash and use it elsewhere. Even on reduced terms I cant imagine he is very cheap.

Signings like this is part of the reason why players like Lowry struggle to break through. Arfield wont start very often in the league but will be expecting game time off the bench (to see out games) and in the early rounds of the cup.

Yeah just what I thought too when I saw their new contracts announced on the same day

On 5/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Lowry came on and was very good. Played 3 fantastic through balls, if it wasn't for Amad going needlessly early Lowry would have gotten an assist. I Genuinely can't emphasis how good Lowry's vision and technique is. 

King has amazing ability on the ball and was great on the ball today again. He didn't have much to do defensively but what he had to do, he did well. Played the last 25 minutes at LB and almost got an assist after putting in a wonderful cross. King like Hickey is that 2 footed you can't tell which is his dominant foot.

Both seem ready to me and I can see them as part of the rotation next season. King will probably be 4th choice CB behind Souttar and whoever else is there. Lowry will probably see more game time. I think Lowry will probably end up Hagi's backup, as Aribo and Ramsey probably won't be there.

Injuries aside I'll be genuinely shocked if Lowry or King don't end up as Scotland Internationals eventually. Both have that level you can just tell they will be special.

Device. He did all right, I'm not sure how he'll fair tbh. I think he's a few years off it. Will probably end up out on loan next year in the championship. Hopefully continue his progression and get a loan to the Prem the year after. 

I reckon rangers should have faith in lowry next season and give him loads of starts. He could potentially be a massive star by the looks of it.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I reckon rangers should have faith in lowry next season and give him loads of starts. He could potentially be a massive star by the looks of it.

Yeah agreed. Same with King. Best youth prospects in years & right on the back of Patterson it’s good to see them finally getting youngsters through. 

When you look at the logic of it, on the face of it surely it makes sense to play them. If Lowry can establish himself in the Rangers first team at 18, given he just signed a multi-year contract, they could easily be looking at an 8 figure fee if/when he leaves. If he breaks into the international side during that time they could be looking at a record fee for the club (currently Patterson at £12.6m). King I know less about, but if he is equally as good the same logic applies. This is surely the strategy for a club like Rangers to break even and become a regular in and around the later stages of European competition. 

3 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

When you look at the logic of it, on the face of it surely it makes sense to play them. If Lowry can establish himself in the Rangers first team at 18, given he just signed a multi-year contract, they could easily be looking at an 8 figure fee if/when he leaves. If he breaks into the international side during that time they could be looking at a record fee for the club (currently Patterson at £12.6m). King I know less about, but if he is equally as good the same logic applies. This is surely the strategy for a club like Rangers to break even and become a regular in and around the later stages of European competition. 

The model at the Old Firm shouldnt be hard. The should have the pick of Scotlands best young players. The only reason that might not be correct at the moment is that families are aware that opportunities are limited currently.

The Old Firm also play in a large percentage of games where they are heavy favourites or where they have big leads during matches. These should be an ideal time to play youth prospects. Ie Celtic at home to Dundee. Either start 1 younger player or bring him on as soon as you go 2 or 3 goals up. 

The problem currently is that both teams fill their squad with "quality". (Rangers are more guilty of this to be fair). So instead of having 2 first team standard players for every position and then having youth prospects making up the rest of the squad or bench, they have 3 for every position. Just look at CF at Rangers. They have Moreles, Roofe, Sakala, Itten. 4 international players and they tend to only play 1 up top.

They tend to play 3 in midfield yet have Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Lundstrum, Hagi, Arfield, Sands Ramsey and Ofoborh (albeit Ofoborh has never played due to being N/A as soon as he signed) Even excluding him thats 9 international players for 3 positions. 

This approach might ensure that any injuries or suspensions that come along dont impact the team however it also means there is no pathway to the 1st team for youth. What are the chances of 7/ 8 CMs all being N/A at the same time?

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

If he is as talented as people say he is (and from what little I have seen he does look class) then he'll surely find his way into the team sooner rather than later. 

Maybe not for bigger games yet, i.e. European or OF matches, but if he's that good he must be ready to take on the St Mirrens, the Ross Countys and the Livingstons of this world. 

29 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The model at the Old Firm shouldnt be hard. The should have the pick of Scotlands best young players. The only reason that might not be correct at the moment is that families are aware that opportunities are limited currently.

The Old Firm also play in a large percentage of games where they are heavy favourites or where they have big leads during matches. These should be an ideal time to play youth prospects. Ie Celtic at home to Dundee. Either start 1 younger player or bring him on as soon as you go 2 or 3 goals up. 

The problem currently is that both teams fill their squad with "quality". (Rangers are more guilty of this to be fair). So instead of having 2 first team standard players for every position and then having youth prospects making up the rest of the squad or bench, they have 3 for every position. Just look at CF at Rangers. They have Moreles, Roofe, Sakala, Itten. 4 international players and they tend to only play 1 up top.

They tend to play 3 in midfield yet have Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Lundstrum, Hagi, Arfield, Sands Ramsey and Ofoborh (albeit Ofoborh has never played due to being N/A as soon as he signed) Even excluding him thats 9 international players for 3 positions. 

This approach might ensure that any injuries or suspensions that come along dont impact the team however it also means there is no pathway to the 1st team for youth. What are the chances of 7/ 8 CMs all being N/A at the same time?

You make an excellent point. Big clubs in other countries seem to blood a lot more young players than Rangers and Celtic as they aren’t scared of playing them in relatively low risk matches against lesser teams (Ajax, Bayern, Dortmund…)

4 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Think Patterson is £16M as the record isn’t he 

35 minutes ago, scotlad said:

If he is as talented as people say he is (and from what little I have seen he does look class) then he'll surely find his way into the team sooner rather than later. 

Maybe not for bigger games yet, i.e. European or OF matches, but if he's that good he must be ready to take on the St Mirrens, the Ross Countys and the Livingstons of this world. 

And the Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell, Dundee. Utd, St. Johnstone, Dundees of this world. ☺️

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Totally agree with this.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

I'm not sure this holds true. The issue isn't just about how talented he is now but also about how talented he may be in the future. Celtic and Rangers both struggle to execute on a long term strategy - they are very good at building teams for today but give little thought to tomorrow. So to the example above - having 4 international level strikers fighting for one place in the Rangers team right now is great for current results, but how is Rory Wilson (who may have a higher ceiling than all those players) meant to get in to play those development minutes now? If they don't give him minutes, he won't develop as much or maybe at all. I made the point earlier in the thread and still have the same view - what is the point in developing these player to the cusp of first team football if there is no route to the first team. I have no idea how much it costs to create a player like Alex Lowry, but I imagine it is tens to hundreds of thousands of pounds. That seems like money poorly spent if there is no strategy to use that resource either through playing and achieving success or by selling on.

20 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

It is good to see Jack Hendry back playing for Club Brugge. 

Sneaky feeling that was due to a suspension.

Good to see Turnball back and also an assist for Ralston. Honestly think the latter would be a lot more highly rated on here if it wasn't that Celtic,like Rangers, prefer seasoned internationals.

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He was brilliant and MOM. Just like King at the weekend. Excellent prospects. 

Odd. The BBC page has Lowry as lowest score on 4.17. I looked at that and wondered what the hell he had done wrong to score so low in a 4-1 win. So it is great to hear he played very well.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Odd. The BBC page has Lowry as lowest score on 4.17. I looked at that and wondered what the hell he had done wrong to score so low in a 4-1 win. So it is great to hear he played very well.

The BBC page ratings are meaningless I wouldn’t even pay attention to them 

44 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

The BBC page ratings are meaningless I wouldn’t even pay attention to them 

Still odd though. They are compiled on ratings added by fans/supporters and his was the only very low score whilst rest of Rangers team got a score around 6 or 7 (Lowry score 4.17).