Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 137 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

13 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He’s one of our best players. 

I agree. I was initially sceptical of McTominay in central defence, but I changed my mind after the game at Wembley.
I'm sure we can get better stoppers than McTominay and for that matter Tierney in central defence. But for me, they bring attacking pizzazz (Tierney) and a range of passing (McTominay) that we otherwise wouldn't have.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

I agree. I was initially sceptical of McTominay in central defence, but I changed my mind after the game at Wembley.
I'm sure we can get better stoppers than McTominay and for that matter Tierney in central defence. But for me, they bring attacking pizzazz (Tierney) and a range of passing (McTominay) that we otherwise wouldn't have.

He has no range of passing at all where are you seeing this , I take it you didn’t see the game yesterday .

31 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

He has no range of passing at all where are you seeing this , I take it you didn’t see the game yesterday .

Nobody in United's side came out looking any good yesterday but guaranteed if sold they'd be sold for many millions of pounds to clubs across the world.

Guest Scot1
20 hours ago, Johnnyshaker said:

The not having many strikers made the friendly team selections in March all the more surprising. I know you want to keep the momentum going but it surely would have been better to give Brown a lot more minutes than he got and give Stewart at least a run.

I agree, I think Clarke missed an opportunity to play Stewart and he also missed the opportunity to switch to a back 4, which I believe we need to do if we are to get the most out of the very talented squad that we have / are building. 
I’ve mentioned in previous post that it was the correct course of action to switch to a back 3/5 a couple of years back for a number of reasons. 
It allows us to play Tierney/Robertson together. 
We were shipping a lot of goals, even to low ranking opposition. And I believe the switch has been a success and I’m glad that the squad now has the tactical ability to play various systems now. 3/5/2, 3/4/2/1, 3/4/1/2 etc. And I believe that there are instances were we should employ a back 3/5. ie tricky away matches against decent opposition, matches where  we come up against top teams. Start off with a back 3/5, get a foothold in the game, we have the squad and tactical experience to switch formations during matches now. 
But I do believe that we need to start playing a back 4 in the majority of our games in the near future. That is the next step in the evolution of this squad/team. And it maybe mean that the manager has to choose either Tierney or Robertson for the Left Back position. But to improve the manager needs see this and have the strength of character/personality to make it happen, not be swayed by emotions/sentimentality/favouritism. 
Against Ukraine I’d be happy to go with 3 orthodox defenders, ie Cooper Hendry Hanley. And let them just defend. Ok none of them are Beckenbauer, but I believe they are comfortable enough on the ball to find passes out to the wingbacks, into midfield and occasionally go long up to the Centre Forwards. But I would play a central midfield 3 of Gilmour, McTominay and McGregor. Gilmour and McGregor will nearly always drop deep and give a passing option, McTominay will also do it on occasion. 
Up front, I think people don’t realise how potent we can be, even without a top class centre forward. Get McGinn up beside the Centre Forward, and he will trouble ANY defence. I’m a Livingston Fc fan and John McGinn reminds me so much of our greatest player, David Fernandez, but McGinn is better, he is stronger, bigger, faster, and a better finisher. Fernandez was never a prolific goal scorer, he was all about assists, winning free kicks, penalties, getting corners etc. We don’t need a a Centre Forward who can turn a defender, beat 3 men then stick it in the top corner. We have that in John McGinn. We just need a good finisher. Similar to the Dalglish/Rush dynamic. We need a good 18 yard box finisher, we don’t need anything fancy. I think Ross Stewart is the best, or will be the best partner for McGinn. They will compliment each other the best, out of all our options. 
I think Adams can used as cover and play McGinns position if he isn’t available. 

Edited by Scot1

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

He's done nothing in a Scotland shirt to suggest that this is true. Shouldn't even make our team if everyone is available. 

Shouldn’t he though? 

Hasn’t been started in all of our big games we’ve won and got results in over the last few years? 

Ross Stewart is closing on 26 and his time in Scotland was pretty unimpressive.

Personally all I think he has proven is the English First division is far weaker than the SPFL.

So maybe when he's 28 and if he has played in the championship for a couple of seasons he might be worth a look.

Maybe he didn't get game time in March because Clarke, after having a look at him close up, reckoned he wasn't very good.

Callum Paterson is probably a better call.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Personally all I think he has proven is the English First division is far weaker than the SPFL.

So maybe when he's 28 and if he has played in the championship for a couple of seasons he might be worth a look.

Maybe he didn't get game time in March because Clarke, after having a look at him close up, reckoned he wasn't very good.

Paterson plays in the same division as Stewart and has scored less goals. We don't need him anymore.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Guest Scot1

I’ll just comment a little more on my previous thoughts because I’m in the mood. 
Clarke needs to begin the process of switching to a back 4 soon, in my opinion. And I believe that once we have established playing 4 at the back we can really look at giving most, if not any team serious problems. 
In my mind I’d be looking at moving Tierney in a defensive midfield role. Tierney has the football brain to adapt, I believe and relatively quickly begin to excel in the role. I think given time, he’d be our best option as a defensive midfielder, better than Jack. He’s more mobile, has better work rate, better in the tackle. If I remember correctly Jack started out as a fullback, moved into midfield. I think Tierney can also make the transition relatively quickly, seamlessly, like Jack, like Van Bronkhurst, like Fernando Ricksen etc. 

Why is this important? Well I believe that he will eventually (rather quickly) be able to play the role better than anyone else we have in the squad, I’d say Jack’s passing maybe slightly better than Tierney’s, but Tierneys passing is still very good and will improve as he plays the role more. But Tierneys other attributes make him potentially a much better fit for the role. 
So in my mind, with the squad we have, once we begin switching to a back 4 and move Tierney, it allows us to play 4/3/3 or 4/1/3/2. 
4/3/3 the more attacking option, against lower ranking opposition, 4/ Tierney /3/2 against tougher teams. 
We do this and we can give just about anyone a run for their money. If all our 1st 11 are fit and available and McGinn is moved up front alongside Stewart. 
Robertson at L/B

Patterson at R/B

2 Centre halves, McKenna left, Hendry right, I believe will be our best partnership in the coming years. 
Midfield 3 of McGregor Gilmour McTominay 

Tierney sitting in front of the back 4. 
That’s the best way forward for the players we have.

Guest Scot1

With the 4/3/3 we drop Tierney  and add a left-sided attacker, for example Fraser. Or we can drop McGregor or McTominay and include Tierney. I’d have to see these variations in action and see the best blend. 
But you could essentially play 4/1/3/2 in nearly every occasion and expect to do well.

Guest Scot1
22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That’s because the great football minds in Scotland couldn’t see his potential.

Guest Scot1
5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It was tongue in cheek, how about Jason Cummings?

People are getting totally carried away with Ross Stewart was more my point.

No Stewart is limited in some ways. He’s never going to be Ibrahemovic, but in the right team with the right partner, John McGinn, he will score goals, lots of them. But it’s also his physical attributes and his work rate that we also need up front. He’s 6 5 has pace and can run for 90+ minutes. Him and McGinn would be a nightmare for just about any defence. 

Edited by Scot1

57 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Shouldn’t he though? 

Hasn’t been started in all of our big games we’ve won and got results in over the last few years? 

Our two biggest wins recently have been away to Austria and home to Denmark, neither of which McTominay played in. 

7 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

No Stewart is limited in some ways. He’s never going to be Ibrahemovic, but in the right team with the right partner, John McGinn, he will score goals, lots of them. But it’s also his physical attributes and his work rate that we also need up front. He’s 6 5 has pace and can run for 90+ minutes. Him and McGinn would be a nightmare for just about any defence. 

I'm all for positivity but it's a serious stretch to claim that Ross Stewart would be a nightmare for most defences. It's only due to our serious lack of forwards that he's even being discussed on here. 

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I'm all for positivity but it's a serious stretch to claim that Ross Stewart would be a nightmare for most defences. It's only due to our serious lack of forwards that he's even being discussed on here. 

In my opinion a front 2 of McGinn and Stewart would give most defences serious problems. 
What Stewart lacks in technique he makes up in effort. In the right situation, with the right players around him, he can be very effective. 

Edited by Scot1

Lowry came on and was very good. Played 3 fantastic through balls, if it wasn't for Amad going needlessly early Lowry would have gotten an assist. I Genuinely can't emphasis how good Lowry's vision and technique is. 

King has amazing ability on the ball and was great on the ball today again. He didn't have much to do defensively but what he had to do, he did well. Played the last 25 minutes at LB and almost got an assist after putting in a wonderful cross. King like Hickey is that 2 footed you can't tell which is his dominant foot.

Both seem ready to me and I can see them as part of the rotation next season. King will probably be 4th choice CB behind Souttar and whoever else is there. Lowry will probably see more game time. I think Lowry will probably end up Hagi's backup, as Aribo and Ramsey probably won't be there.

Injuries aside I'll be genuinely shocked if Lowry or King don't end up as Scotland Internationals eventually. Both have that level you can just tell they will be special.

Device. He did all right, I'm not sure how he'll fair tbh. I think he's a few years off it. Will probably end up out on loan next year in the championship. Hopefully continue his progression and get a loan to the Prem the year after. 

Guest Scot1
9 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Lowry came on and was very good. Played 3 fantastic through balls, if it wasn't for Amad going needlessly early Lowry would have gotten an assist. I Genuinely can't emphasis how good Lowry's vision and technique is. 

King has amazing ability on the ball and was great on the ball today again. He didn't have much to do defensively but what he had to do, he did well. Played the last 25 minutes at LB and almost got an assist after putting in a wonderful cross. King like Hickey is that 2 footed you can't tell which is his dominant foot.

Both seem ready to me and I can see them as part of the rotation next season. King will probably be 4th choice CB behind Souttar and whoever else is there. Lowry will probably see more game time. I think Lowry will probably end up Hagi's backup, as Aribo and Ramsey probably won't be there.

Injuries aside I'll be genuinely shocked if Lowry or King don't end up as Scotland Internationals eventually. Both have that level you can just tell they will be special.

Device. He did all right, I'm not sure how he'll fair tbh. I think he's a few years off it. Will probably end up out on loan next year in the championship. Hopefully continue his progression and get a loan to the Prem the year after. 

Whenever I’ve seen Lowry, he does look special. 

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

King was absolutely immense. For an 18 year old, outpacing & outmuscling Tony Watt, using the hall well & not putting a foot wrong all day. He was MOM

30 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

King was absolutely immense. For an 18 year old, outpacing & outmuscling Tony Watt, using the hall well & not putting a foot wrong all day. He was MOM

He barely broke sweat the whole game. He’s 18 and I just hope he grows another couple of inches to make his life even easier. I think he’s about 6ft 1in at the moment. Calm and composed on the ball.

Lowry had some sublime moments when he came on, what a player he is going to be. His vision, weight of pass, and technique is different level.

Watched Norwich vs West Ham. Kenny McLean out with a fractured toe still, unfortunately. But Grant Hanley and Billy Gilmour both played the full 90 minutes.
Lousy defending aside (they lost 4-nil), Norwich played some nice football at times against a superior team.

Hanley was reading the game well. Though he clearly had his hands full trying to organise a pretty naive, young-looking defensive line.

I was particularly interested in Gilmour's performance (given the "Gilmour has gone backwards" type comments doing the rounds in the media recently). One obvious problem for Gilmour at Norwich is that their style of play doesn't lend itself to passing him the ball much. The first time he received the ball with any amount of space wasn't till about 13 minutes in (!), at which point made a lovely disguised pass leading to a shooting opportunity. A wee bit later he volleyed in a nice shot from 20 metres out (unfortunately blocked by a defender). But for the most part he was fighting for scraps. At times even dropping into the defensive line just to get onto the ball. To his credit, he never gave up looking for the ball. And on those occassions when he did get it, he normally made excellent use of it.

My conclusion: despite their relegation woes at Norwich, Hanley and Gilmour will surely be nailed-on starters for us in June.