Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 136 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

there have been numerous times that Mctominay has been caught out of position, some of which have cost us goals.  The last minute equaliser by Serbia being one.

im with the Saint and would much prefer him in midfield and personally I would have him in there ahead of mcgregor. It’s a risk playing him in defence as he is not a defender.  It’s only because we don’t have any top quality centre half’s we play him there.  

Sorry but you have given one example and I'd swear at the time that Serbia goal was being blamed on Declan Gallagher so can you give other examples McTominay was to blame? And sorry but you are talking about breaking up the lynchpin of our success - a midfield consisting of McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn. No thanks. 

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but you have given one example and I'd swear at the time that Serbia goal was being blamed on Declan Gallagher so can you give other examples McTominay was to blame? And sorry but you are talking about breaking up the lynchpin of our success - a midfield consisting of McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn. No thanks. 

you can watch it yourself, Mctominay lost his man at the corner and he scored.  There were other examples… even in last game he was caught in possession on the half way line, almost cost us.

Mctominay is a very good player, but a midfielder.  Ryan jack also should be in contention.  He us about to play in a European final.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

you can watch it yourself, Mctominay lost his man at the corner and he scored.  There were other examples… even in last game he was caught in possession on the half way line, almost cost us.

Mctominay is a very good player, but a midfielder.  Ryan jack also should be in contention.  He us about to play in a European final.

So one debateable error and one almost cost us a goal in how many games? I'd hazard a guess you could point to any of our defenders in recent times and levy the blame of a goal on them. As for Jack - no we saw in the last but one OF match Jack was massively outshone by McGregor. Jack, at present, is back up for our primary midfielders of McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

If McTominay was playing in midfield in Serbia would he not have lost his man at a corner? You cant use a set piece error as an example of why somebody shouldnt play a position.

McTominay has looked dodgy at times in games. Getting caught under the ball being the main one however luckily to date it hasnt cost us.

However to be fair to the argument you have to then compare with our other defenders. There was an entire debate on here about Hanley playing in the centre because of an apparent lack of height / ability in the air.

I cant remember the exact games but Tierney has been responsible for at least 2 goals from my memory by getting caught under the ball / losing his man. Denmark away and Isreal away from memory but I could very much be wrong on that.

Hendry got slated for his part in the Czech goal at the euros.

So yes, by all means highlight concerns about McTominay in defence however lets not pretend the alternatives are water tight defensively.

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If McTominay was playing in midfield in Serbia would he not have lost his man at a corner? You cant use a set piece error as an example of why somebody shouldnt play a position.

McTominay has looked dodgy at times in games. Getting caught under the ball being the main one however luckily to date it hasnt cost us.

However to be fair to the argument you have to then compare with our other defenders. There was an entire debate on here about Hanley playing in the centre because of an apparent lack of height / ability in the air.

I cant remember the exact games but Tierney has been responsible for at least 2 goals from my memory by getting caught under the ball / losing his man. Denmark away and Isreal away from memory but I could very much be wrong on that.

Hendry got slated for his part in the Czech goal at the euros.

So yes, by all means highlight concerns about McTominay in defence however lets not pretend the alternatives are water tight defensively.

Yes that is spot on.

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So one debateable error and one almost cost us a goal in how many games? I'd hazard a guess you could point to any of our defenders in recent times and levy the blame of a goal on them. As for Jack - no we saw in the last but one OF match Jack was massively outshone by McGregor. Jack, at present, is back up for our primary midfielders of McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

that’s my point… he is playing at centre half as we have no top quality centre half’s.  

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

that’s my point… he is playing at centre half as we have no top quality centre half’s.  

We do have half decent center backs if we played a back four.

McTominay wouldn't be near the back four if that was the case. Not sure that Teirney would be either.

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I know goalscoring in League One is not a good standard, but I think I would reluctantly include Stewart in the squad for the June games. We just haven't got that many strikers to choose from.

I think it is quite probable he will be in the squad. I have a feeling it will be a larger than normal squad given the fact there are potentially five games to be played in a two week spell. It is inevitable some players will need to be rested at times so back-up is going to be needed.

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I know goalscoring in League One is not a good standard, but I think I would reluctantly include Stewart in the squad for the June games. We just haven't got that many strikers to choose from.

Maybe the word reluctantly isn’t correct, would say he’s a certainty to be included though with the amount of injuries in that department. Will also be a larger squad 

Che Adams, Ryan Christie, Lyndon Dykes, Jacob Brown, Ross Stewart 

No Ryan Fraser, James Forrest or Kevin Nesbitt though as all injured

Reluctantly I’d maybe use for Oli McBurnie but he’s injured I believe

5 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Maybe the word reluctantly isn’t correct, would say he’s a certainty to be included though with the amount of injuries in that department. Will also be a larger squad 

Eddie Howe said yesterday he's confident Fraser will be back shortly. He's just returned to training.

Forrest and McBurnie I never want to see play for Scotland again.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

34 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Eddie Howe said yesterday he's confident Fraser will be back shortly. He's just returned to training.

Forrest and McBurnie I never want to see play for Scotland again.

Fraser's inclusion depends on if his attitude has changed and if Clarke feels he can trust him.

58 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Oil McBurnie has scored 1 goal in about 3 years. 

Goalies have a better goalscoring record than him

If we qualify for the World Cup, there is a hypothetical scenario that we have a record number of guys playing in the Champions League group stages leading up to the tournament:

Celtic: McGregor, Taylor, Turnbull, Ralston, Forrest(?)

Rangers: Jack, Souttar, Wright, Lowry

Non-Scots teams: Robertson(Liverpool), Tierney(Arsenal), Gilmour(Chelsea), Hendry(Club Brugge)

Obviously squads will be changing over the summer and not all of those teams will qualify, but we can always dream.

18 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The not having many strikers made the friendly team selections in March all the more surprising. I know you want to keep the momentum going but it surely would have been better to give Brown a lot more minutes than he got and give Stewart at least a run.

9 minutes ago, Johnnyshaker said:

The not having many strikers made the friendly team selections in March all the more surprising. I know you want to keep the momentum going but it surely would have been better to give Brown a lot more minutes than he got and give Stewart at least a run.

I agree with you there.

Jacob Brown should have got at least half an hour of both games. We won't find out what he's capable of at international level by just giving him three minutes at the end of a game. He'll have to start one of the games in June.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Elliot Anderson hat trick of assists and last goal today for Btistol Rovers. 

A question that is still not resolved - does this lad want to play for Scotland ?

He withdrew from the last U21 squad because he wanted to prioritise his club.

Someone may also have made him aware that if he switches to us one more time, he will be tied to us permanently. If so, did he have second thoughts about playing for us ?

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A question that is still not resolved - does this lad want to play for Scotland ?

He withdrew from the last U21 squad because he wanted to prioritise his club.

Someone may also have made him aware that if he switches to us one more time, he will be tied to us permanently. If so, did he have second thoughts about playing for us ?

Pretty certain I read somewhere last month he has opted for England. I will see if I can find the report.

"Bristol Rovers receive boost as Elliot Anderson is made available for selection for Carlisle trip | BristolWorld" https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-rovers/bristol-rovers-receive-boost-as-elliot-anderson-is-made-available-for-selection-for-carlisle-trip-3625823?amp

That report coupled with others around that time about England moving to get him to commit to England would suggest he has made up his mind. Another who is born and bred and raised in England with English parents (Scottish grandmother) so no complaints from me if he opts for England to be honest.