Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 133 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Must admit that Hendry has proved me totally wrong over the last year. The lad can play in the right team with the right system.

Unfortunately he hasn't played for quite a while for Brugge and for some trange reason thought it would be clever to criticise his manager to the press. Why are Scottish footballers so thick ?

What did he say?

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Must admit that Hendry has proved me totally wrong over the last year. The lad can play in the right team with the right system.

Unfortunately he hasn't played for quite a while for Brugge and for some trange reason thought it would be clever to criticise his manager to the press. Why are Scottish footballers so thick ?

I don't think producing thick footballers is a uniquely Scottish trait. Shooting yourself in the foot, however...

Hendry was a mainstay of the Brugge team a few months ago, playing in the Champions League etc. What did he say that was so bad?

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

I don't think producing thick footballers is a uniquely Scottish trait. Shooting yourself in the foot, however...

Hendry was a mainstay of the Brugge team a few months ago, playing in the Champions League etc. What did he say that was so bad?

He was playing poorly after the new year and was dropped, making the occasional sub appearance for the past few months. Recently, he didn't even make the bench.

A month ago, Hendry thought it would be clever to say this publicly

“We changed managers and he has been extremely harsh on me. I should be in the side and I certainly didn’t go to Club Brugge to sit on the bench. That has got to resolve itself fairly quickly."

He comes across there as petulant and arrogant. His manager quite remarkably did not fine him and was quite conciliatory when he responded to Hendry's words but Hendry may have dug himself into a hole with those words.

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Scott Wright for Scotland ? Dear oh dear.

Mark Warburton is leaving QPR at the end of the season. Hope the new manager, whoever that may be, rates Dykes. Last thing we need is him stuck on the bench.

Good news about Souttar. I'd like to see Clarke use the same back three he used against Denmark - Souttar, Hanley and Cooper. They looked strong together.

Jack Hendry has fallen well out of favour at Brugge, hasn't played for a few weeks despite not being injured. His recent ill-advised comments likely haven't helped his case.

Think the back three against Denmark were Souttar, Cooper and Tierney…

19 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Think the back three against Denmark were Souttar, Cooper and Tierney…

I was wrong. You're quite right it was Souttar, Cooper and Tierney.

I'd still like to see Souttar, Hanley and Cooper for the upcoming games.

Lyndon Dykes on the bench last night and limited to last half hour against Sheffield Utd. 
Are we to be worried about his lack of form/goals with only a month to go?? 

5 hours ago, broraboy said:

Lyndon Dykes on the bench last night and limited to last half hour against Sheffield Utd. 

Hes certainly gone off the boil recently which is a shame because when hes on form he looks like he could play a higher level than the championship. Saying that the guy has produced the goods for scotland and thats all that matters really.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Saying that the guy has produced the goods for scotland and thats all that matters really.

Spot on.

There are many instances in the past when players have produced for Scotland whilst not having great club form or playing for an unfashionable club at lower league level. Conversely, we have had many players who have not reached the heights for Scotland despite being at a big club with cracking club form.

Look at, say, Kenny Miller compared to Steve Archibald. Miller was far more potent for Scotland but never reached the heights of playing for Barcelona.

14 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He was playing poorly after the new year and was dropped, making the occasional sub appearance for the past few months. Recently, he didn't even make the bench.

A month ago, Hendry thought it would be clever to say this publicly

“We changed managers and he has been extremely harsh on me. I should be in the side and I certainly didn’t go to Club Brugge to sit on the bench. That has got to resolve itself fairly quickly."

He comes across there as petulant and arrogant. His manager quite remarkably did not fine him and was quite conciliatory when he responded to Hendry's words but Hendry may have dug himself into a hole with those words.

Thanks.

Yes, those words would have been better left unsaid, or at least, said behind closed doors instead.

In Hendry's defence it at least sounds like he wants to play and isn't content to just kick his heels on the bench and pick up a wage, but he is expressing his frustration the wrong way, IMO.

8 hours ago, broraboy said:

It's not just Dykes either, none of our players are scoring regularly at the moment, except possibly Jacob Brown.

How things stand for Scotlands 1st XI ( what would be 1st XI ) 

Craig Gordon - ever present for Hearts this season and on the form of his life and another clean sheet today

Andy Robertson - Man of the Match again today and potential Champions League Final 3 days before Ukraine game 

Nathan Patterson - Injured and unlikely to make Play-Off Semi Final 

Kieran Tierney - Injured and less than 50% to make Play-Off Semi Final 

Grant Hanley - ever present for Norwich and playing well albeit relegated today but give us that aerial presence we require against balls into the box! 

Scott McKenna - back from injury, solid and flying high with Notts Forest with him potentially being Forests player of the season 

Calum McGregor - having a fantastic season and almost the unsung hero for Scotland as does everything effortlessly, on form and good to go…..

Billy Gilmour - has been in & out for Norwich this season but gives everything for Scotland and almost certain to start 

John McGinn - just about the 1st name on the team sheet, not scoring for Villa but is being deployed in a different role for them. Here’s hoping he weighs in with some goals in June! 

Che Adams - playing regular for Southampton and although not prolific has all the qualities to kick on, confidence and placement for that goal against Denmark was amazing. A certainty to start….. 

Lyndon Dykes - having a quiet spell with QPR but hasn’t let the Dark Blue down of late, I’m hoping we go 2up front and Dykes & Adams can/will be potent if confidence is high…..

I know many might say this isn’t Scotlands 1st XI with many other players available with S.McTominay S.Armstrong R.Jack L.Cooper A.Hickey J.Hendry all potential starters but it just shows the strength we have especially in Midfield 

14 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Craig Gordon - ever present for Hearts this season and on the form of his life and another clean sheet today

Andy Robertson - Man of the Match again today and potential Champions League Final 3 days before Ukraine game 

Grant Hanley - ever present for Norwich and playing well albeit relegated today but give us that aerial presence we require against balls into the box! 

Scott McKenna - back from injury, solid and flying high with Notts Forest with him potentially being Forests player of the season 

Calum McGregor - having a fantastic season and almost the unsung hero for Scotland as does everything effortlessly, on form and good to go…..

Billy Gilmour - has been in & out for Norwich this season but gives everything for Scotland and almost certain to start 

John McGinn - just about the 1st name on the team sheet, not scoring for Villa but is being deployed in a different role for them. Here’s hoping he weighs in with some goals in June! 

Che Adams - playing regular for Southampton and although not prolific has all the qualities to kick on, confidence and placement for that goal against Denmark was amazing. A certainty to start….. 

Lyndon Dykes - having a quiet spell with QPR but hasn’t let the Dark Blue down of late, I’m hoping we go 2up front and Dykes & Adams can/will be potent if confidence is high…..

I know many might say this isn’t Scotlands 1st XI with many other players available with S.McTominay S.Armstrong R.Jack L.Cooper A.Hickey J.Hendry all potential starters but it just shows the strength we have especially in Midfield 

Cooper in the middle and Hanley on the right is far stronger than Hanley in the middle with McKenna on the right.

Hanley has been playing on the right and Mckenna has been playing on the left all season.

58 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Don't mean to be a cock but why are football teams starting eleven always in Roman Numerals?  Why is it never, the starting 11? 🤔 I mean Dykes is never mentioned as a classic number IX or Tierney in the number III role

34 minutes ago, todd said:

Don't mean to be a cock but why are football teams starting eleven always in Roman Numerals?  Why is it never, the starting 11? 🤔 I mean Dykes is never mentioned as a classic number IX or Tierney in the number III role

Cos folk might think we only had two players. 😉

2 hours ago, broraboy said:

I think if Tierney doesn't make it, McKenna might get the nod. He already has 20+ caps and could well be an EPL player next season. I think it's just a matter of time before he is a guaranteed starter. Especially since he is roughly 5 years younger than Hanley and Cooper. 

3 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Cooper is utter mince in a very poor side 

Hes done reasonably well so far in the epl. Leeds are a poor side by epl standards but cooper is up against top class strikers and attackers every week and gets decent ratings. Leeds fans think hes done well for them and lets be honest we dont have many centre backs playing in the the top leagues. If cooper is mince then what does that say about our other centre backs. Next season will be coopers third season in a row in the epl.

He must be doing something right as we dont often have centre backs who last in a top 5 league for more than a couple of seasons.

Guest Scot1
15 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think if Tierney doesn't make it, McKenna might get the nod. He already has 20+ caps and could well be an EPL player next season. I think it's just a matter of time before he is a guaranteed starter. Especially since he is roughly 5 years younger than Hanley and Cooper. 

I’ve no problem with playing McKenna or even Cooper (if fit) in place of Tierney, it does however change the dynamic of how we operate down the left, neither McKenna or Cooper are going to play the role in a similar manner to Tierney and are more orthodox defenders. 

Guest Scot1
17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Cooper in the middle and Hanley on the right is far stronger than Hanley in the middle with McKenna on the right.

Hanley has been playing on the right and Mckenna has been playing on the left all season.

I’d rather we played Hendry in the middle and Hanley on the right. If I remember correctly Ukraine usually play with a big/tall Centre Forward, I’d rather have a big/tall centre halve like Hendry up against him.