Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 128 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

On 4/20/2022 at 7:34 AM, Orraloon said:

It seems a bit mental that they didn't just announce the time when they announced the date. 

Maybe they are waiting for Ukraine to decide what time they want to play? 😉

And if they want to take the kick off, what end of the pitch to start the game and choose to wear their home kit of they wish!

Edited by todd

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Jordan rhodes has scored for huddersfield again tonight . I'm not sure what age he is now but seems to be finding a bit of form lately 

Jordan Rhodes now 32, he was prolific at his first spell at Huddersfield but now seems to be a journeyman!! 
Which is a crying shame as he had great potential in his younger days, has had some big signings throughout his career but has kinda fizzled out….. 
He is really a penalty box striker IMO and certainly used to have an eye for goal, 2 goals in 2 games but if he continues scoring and takes Huddersfield to the PlayOff Final then who knows?? 

Scotland are lacking depth up front, Che Adams and Lyndon Dykes are the first to be called upon but after that? 
Ryan Christie ( not a striker / forward really )
Jacob Brown ( quick and scoring goals, potentially ahead of Dykes ) 

Will certainly need to be a big squad for June, so another forward or two wouldn’t go a miss

4 hours ago, broraboy said:

Jordan Rhodes now 32, he was prolific at his first spell at Huddersfield but now seems to be a journeyman!! 
Which is a crying shame as he had great potential in his younger days, has had some big signings throughout his career but has kinda fizzled out….. 
He is really a penalty box striker IMO and certainly used to have an eye for goal, 2 goals in 2 games but if he continues scoring and takes Huddersfield to the PlayOff Final then who knows?? 

Scotland are lacking depth up front, Che Adams and Lyndon Dykes are the first to be called upon but after that? 
Ryan Christie ( not a striker / forward really )
Jacob Brown ( quick and scoring goals, potentially ahead of Dykes ) 

Will certainly need to be a big squad for June, so another forward or two wouldn’t go a miss

In an ideal world we would have options of high quality all over the pitch but we are not quite at that level yet. We do get goals all over the pitch with defenders weighing in (Hendry and Souttar of late) and, of course, goals in midfield from McGinn. I'd certainly not have Brown ahead of Dykes (yet). Why? Dykes has proven himself capable of scoring goals at international level whereas Brown has not. With massive matches coming up we cannot go for 'shot in the dark' players which Brown is at the moment. I have no doubt it will be Adams starting up front for us with Dykes on the bench. 

58 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

How many has he scored now this season? (Seems to be scoring fairly regularly?)

Scored 13 with 9 of them coming since the turn of the year. Was in and out of the team before January.

Didn't do  too much in the two seasons in the championship prior to that either

He might be a bit of a find if he continues on this trajectory.

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Scored 13 with 9 of them coming since the turn of the year. Was in and out of the team before January.

I think I read he’s only recently converted to playing up front? Seems his strength is in pressing and winning back possession. Could be ideal for our style.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's really good! Yes, hope he can keep it up.
Thanks for the update.

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That is my take on things. Far too soon to be shouting for him to start just now but no denying his run of form is promising. If he manages to convert that to international football then we are in business but we cannot afford to take that chance with him just now when we have a player playing at a higher level and who has proven he can score at international level.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That is my take on things. Far too soon to be shouting for him to start just now but no denying his run of form is promising. If he manages to convert that to international football then we are in business but we cannot afford to take that chance with him just now when we have a player playing at a higher level and who has proven he can score at international level.

Does it need to be an either/or? Brown and Adams in a 3-5-2 if Dykes is unfit/out of form. Christie I just don't trust in front of goal.

42 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Does it need to be an either/or? Brown and Adams in a 3-5-2 if Dykes is unfit/out of form. Christie I just don't trust in front of goal.

Christie has more going for him than Brown. Tonnes more big match experience and pressure cooker games so is tried and tested and showed he can deliver when required with that key goal V Serbia.

On 4/19/2022 at 2:03 PM, ThistleWhistle said:

It's a weird one because if you offered me one or the other I'd take Brown without question with my Stoke hat on but Dykes with my Scotland one on.  

With Brown's engine and speed though could see him being a valuable addition up top if he continues to progress but not the prolific answer we've been looking for.  There are quite a few times though where his touch is crap and/or he is totally out of position not reading what is going on as he started out as a right winger/ wing back.    

I feel a bit sorry for Steven Fletcher as he was wasted during our really shite years whereas in the current team reckon he'd look a completely different player not isolated 50 yards away from everyone having the ball bunted in his general vicinity.  

Yeh i agree about Fletcher, with his hold & link up play he would be ideal to lead the line in our current team.. 

On 4/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Me too. He's a kid with a lot of pressure on his shoulders right now (being linked with big money moves that would be life changing for him and his family). That is a lot for anyone, let alone an 18 year old kid. So much can go wrong at this point, I hope he is well advised - he certainly seems to be a sensible enough lad.

Very true it can't be easy dealing with such a sudden & impressive breakthrough. Hope his dip in form is just a blip & he fulfils his potential.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:55 PM, syecosse said:

Man city academy won Prem 2, featuring 5 eligible Scots Ciaran Slicker, Dire Mebude, Josh Adam, Liam Smith and Luca Barrington. Hopefully all if not most make it. 

Had a brief look on City's forum to see if there's comments on any of them, the only ones a could find where on Dire Mebude,  pretty positive with a fan saying he has progressed quickly & should be playing for in the PL2 (under 23's) next season & even possibly training with the first team squad. He only turns 18 next month so if this materialises he could be a player to get genuinely excited about. 

On 4/21/2022 at 3:29 PM, wanderer said:

Reports that Clarke has had Matt Targett watched for a possible switch back to Scotland.

Not against it as he is a solid player but he would have to be patient. If he is willing to commit himself to us as a bit part solid cover player then sign him up.  Much rather we where able to persuade his ex Southampton team mate Livramento to commit to us, he sounds ideal as  quality competition for Patterson on the right side. 

15 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I think I read he’s only recently converted to playing up front? Seems his strength is in pressing and winning back possession. Could be ideal for our style.

You're right mate - came to us as a winger/ wing back.

Poachers goal yesterday but didn't think he had the composure to stay cool and place it - few months ago he'd have just lashed it and hoped

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/stoke-city/12597185/stoke-1-0-qpr-championship-highlights

12 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

You're right mate - came to us as a winger/ wing back.

Poachers goal yesterday but didn't think he had the composure to stay cool and place it - few months ago he'd have just lashed it and hoped

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/stoke-city/12597185/stoke-1-0-qpr-championship-highlights

Watched the goal Jacob Brown scored earlier and thought exactly the same thing! 
Very, very composed and took the goal well albeit a few yards out but had traffic around him but aye I like what I’m seeing 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Not against it as he is a solid player but he would have to be patient. If he is willing to commit himself to us as a bit part solid cover player then sign him up.  Much rather we where able to persuade his ex Southampton team mate Livramento to commit to us, he sounds ideal as  quality competition for Patterson on the right side. 

You do realise that it's international football we are talking about, and he has made his choice.. england. Once he made the choice to move to england after having played for us, that should be his bridges burnt. Have a little self respect and stop chasing these pr.. ks.