Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 117 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d like to see Hickey get some more time on the pitch, maybe start with Robbo LB, Hickey RB then switch Hickey to LB and bring Patterson on. No need for Robertson to play full game, we know what he’s all about, likewise McGinn. Hendry in for McTom in the back 3, give McTom some time in midfield. Maybe Armstrong on from the start. I can see Clarke playing Dykes but I think Adam is first choice now.

Guest Scot1

Wouldn’t mind seeing Hendry in the centre of the back 3 and Hanley as the RCB, if we are playing a back 3. I’d rather have Hendry’s height in the central position.

33 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing Hendry in the centre of the back 3 and Hanley as the RCB, if we are playing a back 3. I’d rather have Hendry’s height in the central position.

Still not sure what our best back 3 is. Tierney definitely, but Cooper and Souttar did well against Denmark. Not a bad problem to have I suppose considering how short of CBs we seemed to be not that long ago.

40 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

The left and right CBs need to be the most comfortable on the ball. Thats why Tierney and McTom work well there.

Its the guy in the centre who needs to be commanding generally.

Id like to see Hickey get 45 mins at LWB tonight. I just hope we dont start with the likes of McLean. We know what he can do and barring lots of injuries shouldnt be near our starting 11

I agree with the sentiments mentioned that we want to get a look at other players but I am not expecting anything too different from Clarke, he values momentum so I think we will start with only two different faces with one of them being in goal and then towards the latter stages of the match he will bring in others. 

Guest Scot1
4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

The left and right CBs need to be the most comfortable on the ball. Thats why Tierney and McTom work well there.

Its the guy in the centre who needs to be commanding generally.

Id like to see Hickey get 45 mins at LWB tonight. I just hope we dont start with the likes of McLean. We know what he can do and barring lots of injuries shouldnt be near our starting 11

How many goals have we lost now to Grant Hanley being out jumped when we have a 6ft 4 / 6 ft 5 centre halve playing on the right of the 3? Hanley could play on the right side of the 3 no problem. It’s not Hanleys fault, he’s just a little too short when coming up against tall centre forwards.

Edited by Scot1

Guest Scot1
5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Our defence is soft….  Need to fix that quickly.

I’ve been saying that we need more height (ie Hendry) in the middle of the 3 since before the Euros. The 1st goal we lost against the Czechs, in the Euros, Hanley was out jumped by their big CF. Same again tonight. Little tweak, move Hendry and Hanley around, less chance we lose these types of goals. 

Edited by Scot1

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’ve been saying that we need more height (ie Hendry) in the middle of the 3 since before the Euros. The 1st goal we lost against the Czechs, in the Euros, Hanley was out jumped by their big CF. Same again tonight. Little tweak, move Hendry and Hanley around, less chance we lose these types of goals. 

Tbf the guy who outjumped Hanley was about 6’8 wasn’t he? I think he would also have outjumped Hendry too. 

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’d be tempted to play cooper in the middle.

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

I’d be tempted to play cooper in the middle.

He’s the about the same height as Hanley? Get Hendry in there, and Hanley to RCB. 
Or we will keep losing goals like the 1st Austria goal tonight. 

20 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

How many goals have we lost now to Grant Hanley being out jumped when we have a 6ft 4 / 6 ft 5 centre halve playing on the right of the 3? Hanley could play on the right side of the 3 no problem. It’s not Hanleys fault, he’s just a little too short when coming up against tall centre forwards.

And how many goals would lose because Hanley is nowhere near as comfortable with the ball at his feet than Hendry, Soutter and McTom. Not to mention the impact on how the team play out from the back. 

Hanley didnt get out jumped for tonights goal. The guy peeled off him. If anything it was positioning. Yes if he was 6ft 6 he would have been able to header it away but Hendry is just as likely to get caught out of position.

Guest Scot1
4 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

And how many goals would lose because Hanley is nowhere near as comfortable with the ball at his feet than Hendry, Soutter and McTom. Not to mention the impact on how the team play out from the back. 

Hanley didnt get out jumped for tonights goal. The guy peeled off him. If anything it was positioning. Yes if he was 6ft 6 he would have been able to header it away but Hendry is just as likely to get caught out of position.

Hanley can play RCB no problem, he’s a good enough footballer to play the ball out wide to Patterson or up into midfield. 
Hanley is getting outjumped / beaten in the air regularly, has been for ages, because he’s too small when we come up against tall CF’s. Not his fault, he’s a good defender, but it seems crazy to me to keep playing him there in these kind of circumstances, especially when we have Hendry or even McKenna. 

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

Hanley can play RCB no problem, he’s a good enough footballer to play the ball out wide to Patterson or up into midfield. 
Hanley is getting outjumped / beaten in the air regularly, has been for ages, because he’s too small when we come up against tall CF’s. Not his fault, he’s a good defender, but it seems crazy to me to keep playing him there in these kind of circumstances, especially when we have Hendry or even McKenna. 

Hanley is nowwhere near as comfortable on the ball as the others mentioned. Its not just a case of giving it to RWB or into midfield. Part of the reason why we have been so good is that our wide centre backs are so good on the ball. Look at Tierneys contribution to our 2nd goal. 

Im not saying Hanley should defo start but if he is to start it has to be at CB. As somebody else said, Cooper is about the same height. McKenna is nowehere near thebsame standard of player.

Maybe try Hendry in the middle with Soutter or McTom in RCB.

Id concentrate more on stopping the cross. Part of the reason we keep conceeding is we are so slow to put pressure on the crosser. That and we have a bad knack of letting strikers run off the back of us. Which is what happened tonight.

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Hanley is nowwhere near as comfortable on the ball as the others mentioned. Its not just a case of giving it to RWB or into midfield. Part of the reason why we have been so good is that our wide centre backs are so good on the ball. Look at Tierneys contribution to our 2nd goal. 

Im not saying Hanley should defo start but if he is to start it has to be at CB. As somebody else said, Cooper is about the same height. McKenna is nowehere near thebsame standard of player.

Maybe try Hendry in the middle with Soutter or McTom in RCB.

Id concentrate more on stopping the cross. Part of the reason we keep conceeding is we are so slow to put pressure on the crosser. That and we have a bad knack of letting strikers run off the back of us. Which is what happened tonight.

I’d have no problem playing Hanley in the RCB, I think he’s a  good enough footballer to play the role. If not, then try Souttar,  but I’d give Hanley a go there first, he’s got good pace, is a good defender, just a little too short on occasion to be playing in the middle.