Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 110 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Marky said:

I wonder if he reacted badly to being subbed off at HT at the weekend and that’s why he’s not even in the squad? By all accounts he did reasonably well in that first half as well. 

I had a look at Everton forum last night and the general opinion was Coleman was spent and Patterson should be playing instead. Short term in a relegation battle I can understand why Lampard has gone for the senior pro. Like Rangers, Coleman is also captain making him difficult to drop (although Everton fans were scathing about that as well). Longer term Lampard has shown his willingness to give younger players a chance, assuming he's still in charge next season.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I had a look at Everton forum last night and the general opinion was Coleman was spent and Patterson should be playing instead. Short term in a relegation battle I can understand why Lampard has gone for the senior pro. Like Rangers, Coleman is also captain making him difficult to drop (although Everton fans were scathing about that as well). Longer term Lampard has shown his willingness to give younger players a chance, assuming he's still in charge next season.

Jon Joe Kenny of Celtic fame gets a game ahead of him too though. 

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It's good to see him making progress. There are a number of lads in the academy team that have played in the first team, as well as a good few well experienced pros (they currently play in the Bavarian regional competition, which is essentially the fourth tier). It's still very long odds on him breaking into the first team, but he is certainly on a pathway that has that level as a possibility.

Just now, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

It's good to see him making progress. There are a number of lads in the academy team that have played in the first team, as well as a good few well experienced pros (they currently play in the Bavarian regional competition, which is essentially the fourth tier). It's still very long odds on him breaking into the first team, but he is certainly on a pathway that has that level as a possibility.

From what i've heard, he's getting a new contract. 

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Jon Joe Kenny of Celtic fame gets a game ahead of him too though. 

At left back ahead of their new Ukranian signing, though I guess his mind might be elsewhere at present. The whole of Everton's backline look very suspect, midfield not great and Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison starved of any decent service.

41 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Hickey must be in for a start at right back.  Nobody holding down a first team spot in that position.

I don't disagree with Hickey getting a chance, but Ralston is still starting an average of 1 game every week (Celtic tend to play 2 games) even with Croatian international, Juranovic, competing for a place. 

Right back has become a huge dillemma though. We realistically have 5 options: Ralston, Ramsay, Hickey, SOD and Patterson. Plus, going with the wing back option of Fraser or Forrest. None of those options really shine out at the moment.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't disagree with Hickey getting a chance, but Ralston is still starting an average of 1 game every week (Celtic tend to play 2 games) even with Croatian international, Juranovic, competing for a place. 

Right back has become a huge dillemma though. We realistically have 5 options: Ralston, Ramsay, Hickey, SOD and Patterson. Plus, going with the wing back option of Fraser or Forrest. None of those options really shine out at the moment.

Initially I wasnt worried about Patterson but 45 mins against a non league side in about 7 months by June could be an issue.

Ralston is getting some game time but he is 2nd choice and in my opinion is a limited footballer. He is exposed anytime he comes up against quality and thats probably why he doesnt tend to play in those games.

Ramsey was always one for the future and really needs some more game time and consistent performances before being considered.

ODonnell is ODonnell. Very limited but has shown he can do a shift. One to be phased out when better options prove themselves.

Hickey for me is a must start in the friendly games. 19 years old and has played the most minutes by any teenager in Europes top leagues. The idea that we wouldnt play somebody starring week in week out in Italys top flight would have been crazy only a couple of years ago.

For the friendlys id start with a non Gordon or Marshall GK. Probably McLaughlin. Robertson, McKenna, Hanley, Hendry with Hickey RWB. 

Id then swap Hickey to LWB and bring on Patterson at half time.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Achilles injury for Souttar, may be out for some time. Looking like Mctominay will fill that right hand centre half slot.

Don't say that, even as a joke. Don't mind McTominay, but not anywhere near that position. Just wants too much time on the ball at the back. Gets caught in posession far to much. Can maybe get away with that further up the park, but it's a recipe for disaster at the back. Midfield or nothing. 

28 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Don't say that, even as a joke. Don't mind McTominay, but not anywhere near that position. Just wants too much time on the ball at the back. Gets caught in posession far to much. Can maybe get away with that further up the park, but it's a recipe for disaster at the back. Midfield or nothing. 

i agree.  He is not a defender.  I just think Clarke will take the obvious option with both hendry not a first pick and souttar out.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Hickey not named in under 21 squad so I guess he’ll be in the squad for friendlies 

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Achilles injury for Souttar, may be out for some time. Looking like Mctominay will fill that right hand centre half slot.

That's disappointing, especially with Hendry not getting a game for Brugge at the moment. The Ukraine game being postponed is starting to look like a blessing in disguise.

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Hickey not named in under 21 squad so I guess he’ll be in the squad for friendlies 

He declined the chance to join the U21 squad so I doubt he’ll be too keen on joining the full squad for a couple of friendlies

Will be interesting to see what his attitude is when he does get selected for the senior squad. 

41 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He declined the chance to join the U21 squad so I doubt he’ll be too keen on joining the full squad for a couple of friendlies

Will be interesting to see what his attitude is when he does get selected for the senior squad. 

If Hickey remains fit, and if he gets called up for the friendly, surely he would seize the chance?