Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 107 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

depends what you call a striker.  Fraser and Christie are inside forwards. 

I'd rather those 2 were considered strikers, in a 23 man squad, than scraping the bottom of the river for another striker that won't be used. Nisbet was pushing it, if we're all honest. Pretty much everyone in line behind him haven't quite shown enough to really merit a call up. Stewart is probably the one name that could be considered for November, if he moves up a division. Not for this month though.

I'd much rather have future prospects like Hickey and Ramsay involved in the squad than calling up strikers who realistically have no chance of making us better. E.g Watt, Shankland etc. 

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Just read Anthony Gordon from Everton is a Scottish granny player so expect he’s the next one Clarke and his team are working on.. 

Yeh though he has been mentioned  here before. Playing for England at under 21 level & think he qualifies for the Republic as well as us. 

He has really come on this season so think he would be a quality addition but think it's unlikely he can be persuaded to switch at this early stage of his career. 

By the way how did you find this out? Has there been some recent media gossip about him maybe being approached? 

9 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh though he has been mentioned  here before. Playing for England at under 21 level & think he qualifies for the Republic as well as us. 

He has really come on this season so think he would be a quality addition but think it's unlikely he can be persuaded to switch at this early stage of his career. 

By the way how did you find this out? Has there been some recent media gossip about him maybe being approached? 

Seen a couple of news articles on it yes. Also on a Scotland Facebook post about who to call up 

Watched last night's Liverpool vs Norwich match. Lean pickings from a Scottish viewpoint. Not a Scotland player on the pitch till Gilmour came on for the last half hour. Maybe not a bad tactic by Norwich since it gave him the energy to cover a lot of ground and get more involved than on his last outing? Played a few nice passes (though a couple of times the recipients weren't on the same wavelength). Interestingly, I remember him winning three contested headers in midfield! (He's not the tallest be he really fights for the ball).

Then Kenny McLean had a cameo for the last 13 mins or so, when Norwich were throwing men forward looking for an equaliser. Was quite impressed by his pace, strength and ability to press.

No sign of Hanley (not even on the bench). Anyone know the story there?

7 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Watched last night's Liverpool vs Norwich match. Lean pickings from a Scottish viewpoint. Not a Scotland player on the pitch till Gilmour came on for the last half hour. Maybe not a bad tactic by Norwich since it gave him the energy to cover a lot of ground and get more involved than on his last outing? Played a few nice passes (though a couple of times the recipients weren't on the same wavelength). Interestingly, I remember him winning three contested headers in midfield! (He's not the tallest be he really fights for the ball).

Then Kenny McLean had a cameo for the last 13 mins or so, when Norwich were throwing men forward looking for an equaliser. Was quite impressed by his pace, strength and ability to press.

Hanley was suspended methinx 

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

i didn’t think gilmour was too great to be honest.  Few misplaced passes.  Not terrible, not great.  On current form I wouldn’t have him in from the start in a three, maybe in a four.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

i didn’t think gilmour was too great to be honest.  Few misplaced passes.  Not terrible, not great.  On current form I wouldn’t have him in from the start in a three, maybe in a four.

That’s a brave thing to say on here. 

26 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That’s a brave thing to say on here. 

maybe.  I say it as I see it.  No doubt he is a great player and lots of potential but there are players playing well (better) regularly in the epl and Europe.

Jack and Mctominay ahead of him, possibly mcgregor too.  I also think that there is a strong argument to find a space for Armstrong given his form and Mcginn is a given.

24 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

maybe.  I say it as I see it.  No doubt he is a great player and lots of potential but there are players playing well (better) regularly in the epl and Europe.

Jack and Mctominay ahead of him, possibly mcgregor too.  I also think that there is a strong argument to find a space for Armstrong given his form and Mcginn is a given.

I'll admit, as a Gilmour fan, I'd want to see him start unless his form really falls of a cliff. But I think you gave a fair assessment of his contribution to the game. 
And yes, the players you mentioned are all in great from (Armstrong included).

5 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Patterson hooked at half time. Thought he played pretty well. 

I think it was a tactical decision to allow them to go to a four at the back.  He was ok, not spectacular.  I thought he wanted to play safe which is understandable on his debut.

I worry about Patterson being able to break in to this team. To be fair it took Robertson a season or so to cement his place at Liverpool.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I think it was a tactical decision to allow them to go to a four at the back.  He was ok, not spectacular.  I thought he wanted to play safe which is understandable on his debut.

I worry about Patterson being able to break in to this team. To be fair it took Robertson a season or so to cement his place at Liverpool.

It watching game but he’s getting a fair bit of praise from Everton fans on twitter, most of whom being surprised he was hooked 

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Im not surprised that Patterson hasnt just walked straight into the Everton team but really surprised and concerned that he is behind Kenny who is a very limited footballer.

14 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Disgree. As has been said on here a few times already, a team is about the sum of its parts rather than individuals. McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn is our strongest midfield unit and it won't be broken up just to fit a form player in and Clarke won't change the formation either.

12 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Disgree. As has been said on here a few times already, a team is about the sum of its parts rather than individuals. McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn is our strongest midfield unit and it won't be broken up just to fit a form player in and Clarke won't change the formation either.

Would you change it if a player was out of form? 

44 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Would you change it if a player was out of form? 

Only if they were shockingly out of form and hadn't played for their club in months.

Specifically in relation to Gilmour, I think his talent is so far ahead of the rest of the options that I'd probably still play him anyway - especially if the option was to bring in a totally different type of player like Jack or McTominay. Good teams need players that can dictate the pace and direction of play and that's what Gilmour brings to Scotland, and it's what we've been missing for years and years. Incidentally, it's also what Man Utd's midfield has been lacking as well so, although he certainly has his merits, I don't ever see McTominay being a direct replacement for Gilmour in our midfield.

24 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Only if they were shockingly out of form and hadn't played for their club in months.

Specifically in relation to Gilmour, I think his talent is so far ahead of the rest of the options that I'd probably still play him anyway - especially if the option was to bring in a totally different type of player like Jack or McTominay. Good teams need players that can dictate the pace and direction of play and that's what Gilmour brings to Scotland, and it's what we've been missing for years and years. Incidentally, it's also what Man Utd's midfield has been lacking as well so, although he certainly has his merits, I don't ever see McTominay being a direct replacement for Gilmour in our midfield.

I think McGregor is the most likely to make way for another player, not Gilmour. He is playing most weeks in the premier league at 20! He's ahead of the vast majority of the players we've had in the last 2 decades at the same age. He should and will be a starter for Scotland unless something dramatic happens, like he isn't playing at all or gets injured.