Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 102 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

It depends on how far you want to go back, but if you are talking post-2000 then there are many more. A handful of results from Celtic and Rangers' Uefa cup final runs would be considered bigger e.g Celtic v Liverpool, Rangers v Sporting Lisbon etc

Then you have when Celtic and Rangers both got to the last 16 of the CL e.g Celtic v Man U/AC Milan/Barcelona, Rangers v Porto, etc

More recently, Celtic beat Lazio away (and at home) who were 2nd in Serie A at the time, if I remember correctly. That was in 2019.

I don't want to take away anything from Rangers' achievement, but saying it is the best in modern times is a bit over the top.

You're going back around 20 years for the Celtic run. That isn't modern day. Though that was an amazing result and run.

Beating sporting away was a great result and part of a great run, but it isn't at the same level of scoring 4 away to Dortmund. This just the second time in their European history they've conceded 4 at home. The other time was part of an 8-4 win.

Lazio, Porto, etc are a level below Dortmund. Just like Dortmund are a level below Bayern, Man City, Real Madrid, etc.

You just need to see the reaction from Germany to see how big a result this is. Every Rangers fan was just hoping we'd try and keep ourselves in contention for the 2nd leg. Pretty much everybody else thought we'd get pumped.

All that said I am awaiting the backlash from Dortmund and fully expect us to be out next week.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

You're going back around 20 years for the Celtic run. That isn't modern day. Though that was an amazing result and run.

Beating sporting away was a great result and part of a great run, but it isn't at the same level of scoring 4 away to Dortmund. This just the second time in their European history they've conceded 4 at home. The other time was part of an 8-4 win.

Lazio, Porto, etc are a level below Dortmund. Just like Dortmund are a level below Bayern, Man City, Real Madrid, etc.

You just need to see the reaction from Germany to see how big a result this is. Every Rangers fan was just hoping we'd try and keep ourselves in contention for the 2nd leg. Pretty much everybody else thought we'd get pumped.

All that said I am awaiting the backlash from Dortmund and fully expect us to be out next week.

I'm not sure I agree with your definition of what constitutes modern day, but if you restrict it to the last 10 years, then, yeah, I'll give you that it is one of the best results.

Lazio, being 2nd in Serie A, is arguably better than being 2nd in the Bundesliga. I'd probably put those results on a par. Especially since Celtic qualified for the next round due to those results.

31 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Does not say any sources however a article in 90min have said Scotland are hoping to persuade Angus Gunn to play for Scotland.

That's interesting. I watched the Liverpool vs Norwich game and thought Angus Gunn had a very good game. He made quite a number of good saves. Seems to have a good understanding with Grant Hanley too.

Robertson was left on the bench today, but McLean, Hanley and Gilmour all contributed to a pretty gritty Norwich performance against a first-rate Liverpool team. Okay, they were mainly defending, but on the rare occassions they could hang onto the ball, they tried to play proper football.  I even thought they might have pulled of an upset when Norwich went a goal ahead. But Liverpool's incessant attacking finally ground Norwich down. 

Great experience for our players going toe-to-toe with the quality of players Liverpool have.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm not sure I agree with your definition of what constitutes modern day, but if you restrict it to the last 10 years, then, yeah, I'll give you that it is one of the best results.

Lazio, being 2nd in Serie A, is arguably better than being 2nd in the Bundesliga. I'd probably put those results on a par. Especially since Celtic qualified for the next round due to those results.

Borussia Dortmund get to the latter stages of the main European competitions very regularly including recently, Lazio aren’t at that level. 

54 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Allan Campbell doing well at Luton. Loads of options in that area but maybe one to keep an eye on. 

I think hes underrated and destined for a bigger club than Luton if he keeps up his good form. Sadly for him I doubt he becomes a regular for us due to our strength in midfield. 

10 hours ago, thesaint said:

Don't care what his dad thinks.He had his chance to play for us and chose england.That's fair enough ,but as far as we are concerned f..k him.

As far as we are concerned?? I didn't realise you spoke for all of the fans. When did you get elected?

If i was Clarke i would be having conversations with Livramento to see if he considers himself Scottish and wants to play for us - if he did that would be the right back problem sorted for the next decade 

Gunn is a funny one you would assume your Dad being a Scottish international and i assume a proud Scotsman you'd therefore have some connection or interest in the country. I'm amazed he's not a diehard Scotland fan. However seems to have choosen England and good luck to him. Cant see him ever being a regular in the England squad never mind first team. 

12 minutes ago, borojock said:

If i was Clarke i would be having conversations with Livramento to see if he considers himself Scottish and wants to play for us - if he did that would be the right back problem sorted for the next decade 

Gunn is a funny one you would assume your Dad being a Scottish international and i assume a proud Scotsman you'd therefore have some connection or interest in the country. I'm amazed he's not a diehard Scotland fan. However seems to have choosen England and good luck to him. Cant see him ever being a regular in the England squad never mind first team. 

David Weir's son is an even weirder one, especially since he's played for us at U16 and U17 level.  This Gunn character can fck right off though as far as I'm concerned.

In other news, McGinn was getting quite a bit of stick on Twitter yesterday.  Last time I watched a Villa game I couldn't work out where he was being played.  He seemed to be some sort of deep-lying midfielder stuck out on the right.  Beats me why you'd waste a guy like that out of his best position, but he's still one of the first names on our teamsheet.

17 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Surely you don't think we're bad enough to lose 3 goals without reply at home with a full crowd behind us?

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Marshall back on the bench much as expected at QPR. Shame as his stats in his games were impressive. 

Pretty sure he would be one of the first names in the squad if starting for an SPL team

He’s obviously happier to get £8K a week to sit on the QPR bench than get £2K a week to start In goals for Aberdeen etc

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

He’s obviously happier to get £8K a week to sit on the QPR bench than get £2K a week to start In goals for Aberdeen etc

Doubt he's on that much but even so we don't have a second choice keeper with a fraction of his experience. I was just pointing out that he shouldn't be written of simply because of his lack of game time. 

39 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Doubt he's on that much but even so we don't have a second choice keeper with a fraction of his experience. I was just pointing out that he shouldn't be written of simply because of his lack of game time. 

Yeah, he's been playing enough lately to be sharp enough to justify a callup, even if he doesn't play again for the rest of the season.

You'd hope he'd follow Gordon's example and prioritise first team football, rather than a paycheck. But that's easy for me to say from the outside looking in. We could easily say the same thing about McLaughlin, who really shouldn't be on anyone's bench.