Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 91 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, borojock said:

Appreciate your comments and thoughts and lot of valid points you make 

My point would be who is better then him - lets say Gordon is unavailable who are you having ahead of Marshall and why i personally dont see any candidates that would be a better choice (agree that this depends on him maintaining his role as first choice keeper at QPR this season which is not certain)

McLoughlin - Barely playing first team football and really never played at a decent level

Clarke - Confidence must be shot after the season, no international experience and not played at a level higher then the Scottish premiership

Kelly - Couldn't make it at QPR 

Struggle to see anyone else after these, im not saying Marshall is a high quality keeper who should be there on his quality im suggesting Marshall should be there because he's better then the rest. More experience, playing at a higher level then the rest and i would suggest better then the 3 keepers listed above 

Unfortunately our goalkeeper position is one of concern we dont really have any obvious natural successor to Gordon in the long term, no one that you would say would be international class 

It really is.  If you want to get anywhere in international football you really do a need a reliable 'keeper.

As well as those already mentioned we also have Craig McGillivray - playing for Charlton Athletic, currently midtable in the English third tier - and Ross Doohan - on loan from Celtic to Tranmere Rovers who play in the league below (he appears to be doing well though, tbf).

Not a lot, but the best we've got.

4 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Not quite sure what you’re getting at here, but I don’t think Marshall’s anything other than a model pro who always gave his all. However, it’s not uncommon for goalies to suddenly lose form, especially at his age. Is it not most likely that the 2 managers who have seen him close up have maybe come to the conclusion he’s not on form and should be kept away from their respective teams? Sure, he could still turn it round and prove people wrong. I hope he does well at QPR, but I’ll be surprised if he suddenly gets drafted back in.

I always assumed David Marshall's demotion at Derby was due to financial constraints rather than for footballing reasons. Could be wrong though.

5 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Not quite sure what you’re getting at here, but I don’t think Marshall’s anything other than a model pro who always gave his all. However, it’s not uncommon for goalies to suddenly lose form, especially at his age. Is it not most likely that the 2 managers who have seen him close up have maybe come to the conclusion he’s not on form and should be kept away from their respective teams? Sure, he could still turn it round and prove people wrong. I hope he does well at QPR, but I’ll be surprised if he suddenly gets drafted back in.

Apologies, I didn't mean to imply Marshall himself had done anything wrong. It could be a thousand different things. And, you're right, it could be a crisis of confidence after the Euros. Haunted by the half way line goal, for example. It could also be the record England goalscorer taking umbrage with Marshall holding his nation to a 0-0. Who knows. 

I just meant it's unlikely to be as simple as both managers suddenly didn't rate him any more. As others have said, I think he is probably still the 2nd best goalkeeper we have. He's rightfully lost his place to Gordon as number 1, but I'd be happier having him as back up than most of the other options. 

If QPR doesn't work out for him I'd love him to come back up to Scotland the way Gordon has.

13 hours ago, bigfingers said:

2 assists for Robertson. Just a normal day at the office for him. 

His corner for the first assist was excellent. Guys a class act and hes starting to look good for Scotland as well. 

Good weekend for our epl based players. None were on a losing side. I doubt that happens very often. 

Edited by mccaughey85

On 1/23/2022 at 12:30 PM, bigfingers said:

Slicker was on the bench for Man City yesterday. Maybe one to keep an eye on. 

Lets hope he turns into a star, we desperately need an upcoming goalie. A loan move to maybe the spl/league would be good. See how he does at that level, very unlikely he gets a run of games at City but you never know. 

On 1/25/2022 at 3:02 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Lets hope he turns into a star, we desperately need an upcoming goalie. A loan move to maybe the spl/league would be good. See how he does at that level, very unlikely he gets a run of games at City but you never know. 

Anytime I've seen him for the u21s he has looked every bit the youth goalie he is.

That's not a bad thing, but he doesn't seem like he will be stepping up anytime soon. He seems quite a few years away from being ready for the full squad. He does seem promising though.

Making the bench at 19 for City is very impressive. Steffen was injured but it shows he is highly rated there, when he is the one chosen to step up.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Alex Lowry & Scott Wright start for Rangers at home vs Livi in the league tonight 

Brilliant! I'm starting to like GVB! 

18 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

16 year old Ben Doak on the bench for Celtic. He's wanted by Liverpool and a few other clubs.

Also brilliant. Celtic are stockpiling a worrying amount of senior players. So good to see the youngsters still getting a slight look in. Even if it's from the bench. 

Lowry looked really good from the highlights. Most impressed by his end product and looks comfortable with both feet. Hopefully he gets a run in the Rangers team. He certainly performed better than most in the cup and again tonight from what ive seen.

8 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Lowry looked really good from the highlights. Most impressed by his end product and looks comfortable with both feet. Hopefully he gets a run in the Rangers team. He certainly performed better than most in the cup and again tonight from what ive seen.

I think Lowry will be in the full squad within 2 years. He has amazing ability on the ball. 

Reading an article about Jordan Holsgrove in Spain with Celta vigo, apparently he is far to good to be playing for there B team and last season had some of the best stats. In La liga in the games he played, apparently there is a big rift between the A team and B team created about Hosgrove playing in a semi final for the B team, by the sounds of things hopefully he can get a move. 

Edited by syecosse